Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 05:39 PM

25 posts, read 36,611 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum but have used City Data as a resource many times before. This is my first post ever.

I'm helping my boyfriend's parents move from Denver to SW Florida. They moved to Colorado from Pennsylvania 3 years ago after retiring (ages 68 and 72). Denver is a little too cold for their liking. They are planning to move in one month without having ever visited the Bradenton/Sarasota area. They are adventurous!

I've searched the forum but would appreciate any current recommendations - good, bad or ugly. They have applied to Aaron Lake Apartments in Bradenton, 34205 zip. However others have mentioned that areas east of W. 59th Ave can be bad. Also the area of Cortez and US41. I contacted Banyan Trail in Sarasota today, after reading someone's recommendation on here from 2010, but they don't have any availability. We are trying to find a 1BR rental under $800. They are open to senior living as well.

Earlier this week we convinced them not to sign a lease at a property in New Port Richey. I just want to make sure they are safe. I hear pockets of Bradenton can be dangerous, but I'm not sure where those pockets are located. I contacted the sheriff's office but was told Aaron Lake is fine.

Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 06:05 PM

398 posts, read 822,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busybee29 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum but have used City Data as a resource many times before. This is my first post ever.

I'm helping my boyfriend's parents move from Denver to SW Florida. They moved to Colorado from Pennsylvania 3 years ago after retiring (ages 68 and 72). Denver is a little too cold for their liking. They are planning to move in one month without having ever visited the Bradenton/Sarasota area. They are adventurous!

I've searched the forum but would appreciate any current recommendations - good, bad or ugly. They have applied to Aaron Lake Apartments in Bradenton, 34205 zip. However others have mentioned that areas east of W. 59th Ave can be bad. Also the area of Cortez and US41. I contacted Banyan Trail in Sarasota today, after reading someone's recommendation on here from 2010, but they don't have any availability. We are trying to find a 1BR rental under $800. They are open to senior living as well.

Earlier this week we convinced them not to sign a lease at a property in New Port Richey. I just want to make sure they are safe. I hear pockets of Bradenton can be dangerous, but I'm not sure where those pockets are located. I contacted the sheriff's office but was told Aaron Lake is fine.

Thanks so much in advance!
Something doesn't seem right about moving anywhere site unseen. If they can afford it they should come down & spend a little bit of time looking around before committing to something site unseen. GOOD LUCK !

Old 10-20-2011, 06:16 PM

Thanks! Believe me, I know! In truth, this search has been motivated by a recently diagnosed medical condition. Cold, dry mountain air is no longer ideal. I am very sad they are moving away. We have expressed our concern about this quick decision and have offered to pay for a trip, but they won't accept. My boyfriend is trying to get time off work to make a trip himself, but it's all happening with very short notice.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:57 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
I don't know specifically about Aaron Lake Apartments, but that area doesn't look bad. Looks like the apartments are set back by themselves behind a commercial area of Cortez Ave. They're also right near Ironwood and Pinebrook condos, which are nice. That's not true about "anything" east of 59th St. being "bad" -- there are plenty of nice areas east of 59th. You definitely wouldn't want them living on 41, but Aaron Lake is plenty far away from that. I agree it would be preferable to check the location out before moving there, but it doesn't seem to be in an area of concern. If I were down there, I'd do a drive-by for ya, but alas, I'm up North for a few more months. My Mom's lived in Bradenton for 14 years (not far from Aaron Lake, actually), and she loves it.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:19 PM

Thanks so much, Avalon! I really appreciate the feedback!

Old 10-20-2011, 08:54 PM

39 posts, read 79,226 times
Good Luck. My parents bought back in May a Condo in Sarasota unseen. Of course they had looked at o ne in the same community, but still. I agree you do not want to be right in the congestion of 41 it is very busy. As soon as we sell our house we are taking what we can fit in our car and moving down there also. Can't wait. You might call some of the local churches and ask them about areas.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark71 View Post
Good Luck. My parents bought back in May a Condo in Sarasota unseen.
Are they happy with their location? Thanks for the recommendation about contacting local churches. I hadn't thought of that!

Old 10-21-2011, 09:16 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Moved here with my XH twenty years ago sight unseen to Perico Island apartment complex called Bristol Bay (at that time) in Manatee County. I believe it's a Neal property now. Perico Island is a nice go between Bradenton and Anna Maria and should be in their price range. If I was considering safety, that's where I'd put my parent. No complex is perfect but having lived there in the past, I found the proximity and amenities perfect for easy in/easy out. Weekend traffic can be difficult however due to the proximity of Anna Maria Island & beach traffic.

Not familiar anymore with a whole lot of what's between 75th and 59th in the way of apartments. Did live for awhile in Cielo or whatever it's called by the McDonalds by 75th street & it was full of drug dealing. Many complexes have gone that way throughout Bradenton & Sarasota. You might not want to hear it but I know better. The key is to pick the best location you can for your budget.

As for Sarasota, there are many complexes that others have better experience with as far as safety goes. Usually I have found that the closer to the beach you go, the better I've personally found it to be...You may want to check out what's near the Siesta Key area.

Unfortunately, looking for a place from now on is going to be a bit more difficult than during the summer as we are fast approaching season. Rents are usually raised & it's just harder than during the summer to find something. I do know that in downtown Sarasota, within walking distance was an adorable place over on Cherry Lane called Cherry Lane apts. Four units in a house divided with a huge living space, full kitchen & bath with claw tub in that price range. I thought it was great because it's close to downtown (2 blocks walk) and the neighborhood is good (Laurel Park). It would give them a chance to rent & get acquainted with the area.

With crime being so widespread between the two counties, I'd really pick the best neighborhood that's in the budget & go smaller in space. Rent for a year, get to know the area & decide what's best after feeling out the area.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:05 PM

39 posts, read 79,226 times
They are very Happy, nice older community 55 and older. Strathmore off of Bee Ridge close to mcIntosh. They can walk to the grocery store and a few eateries. They are in their early 80's. There are a couple for sale in there don't know if they rent out or not.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:39 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Moved here with my XH twenty years ago sight unseen to Perico Island apartment complex called Bristol Bay (at that time) in Manatee County. I believe it's a Neal property now. Perico Island is a nice go between Bradenton and Anna Maria and should be in their price range. If I was considering safety, that's where I'd put my parent. No complex is perfect but having lived there in the past, I found the proximity and amenities perfect for easy in/easy out. Weekend traffic can be difficult however due to the proximity of Anna Maria Island & beach traffic.

Not familiar anymore with a whole lot of what's between 75th and 59th in the way of apartments. Did live for awhile in Cielo or whatever it's called by the McDonalds by 75th street & it was full of drug dealing. Many complexes have gone that way throughout Bradenton & Sarasota. You might not want to hear it but I know better. The key is to pick the best location you can for your budget.

As for Sarasota, there are many complexes that others have better experience with as far as safety goes. Usually I have found that the closer to the beach you go, the better I've personally found it to be...You may want to check out what's near the Siesta Key area.

Unfortunately, looking for a place from now on is going to be a bit more difficult than during the summer as we are fast approaching season. Rents are usually raised & it's just harder than during the summer to find something. I do know that in downtown Sarasota, within walking distance was an adorable place over on Cherry Lane called Cherry Lane apts. Four units in a house divided with a huge living space, full kitchen & bath with claw tub in that price range. I thought it was great because it's close to downtown (2 blocks walk) and the neighborhood is good (Laurel Park). It would give them a chance to rent & get acquainted with the area.

With crime being so widespread between the two counties, I'd really pick the best neighborhood that's in the budget & go smaller in space. Rent for a year, get to know the area & decide what's best after feeling out the area.
Where are there apartments near McDonald's? You mean at 75th & Cortez? It's a strip mall with a Bonefish Grill and other upscale stores. Up the street on 75th is a beautiful new development of single-family homes. Anyhow, I think the point is that the BF's parents have chosen a location within their budget and the OP is just trying to confirm it's not a "bad area". Not knowing specifics about that apartment complex, I still say that area looks OK to me. I see no reason to go off in a completely different direction and county. Yes, Perico Island is nice, too, if they can afford it....traffic can be a real hassle though. As I mentioned, my mother lives off 75th near Cortez and loves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area