U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2007, 06:50 PM

65 posts, read 235,685 times

Advertisements

In Sarasota County there laying off over 30 building Inspectors and they just laid of 25 Parks and rec workers. It seems to be a spiral going down. Hate to hear anyone lose there job. Things are getting tuff here in old Florida. I'm starting to get excited (First Time) that the snow birds will be here in another month and start spending some money!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 07:21 PM

36 posts, read 128,961 times
I work in a retail situation that doesn't have too bad an off season, however, we know some of our return clients are holding back. I fear it will be the same when our "friends" return from the north.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:12 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,935,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmtjss View Post
In Sarasota County there laying off over 30 building Inspectors and they just laid of 25 Parks and rec workers. It seems to be a spiral going down. Hate to hear anyone lose there job. Things are getting tuff here in old Florida. I'm starting to get excited (First Time) that the snow birds will be here in another month and start spending some money!
They spend money in restaurants & golf courses. They aren't here to improve the professional situation

Now, are the rec workers like part-time life guards? Some of these jobs may not be that big of a loss.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:14 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,584,526 times
Now, are the rec workers like part-time life guards? Some of these jobs may not be that big of a loss.//Unquote

Well, they are if you're the one who's just lost your job.

Does anyone know the current unemployment rate in the state? I realize it is generally figured by the city, but the rate has to be getting very high with all the recent job losses.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:17 AM

65 posts, read 235,685 times
Default Full time

The jobs lost were full time jobs. I'm not sure but I think Sarasota unemployment is around 4.46 Most of the jobs seem to be in Tampa, Miami or West Palm beach.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:54 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,276,289 times
Snow birds don't spend any money. They are cheap and thrifty. Eating at early bird specials, no tipping and so on. They don't really boost the local economy except in perscriptions at the local pharmacy and gas sales. I really can't see how they will have a positive impact on Sarasota when they arrive this fall. And the county jobs were all full time, I know first hand because my brother in law is an inspector for the county. It's funny that the county is scrambling to cut money from the budget, they should have thought of it before all the inspectors got a 26% pay increase 2 years ago. When things were good they threw money around like it wasn't an issue. It is sad that local services are going to suffer because of their greed. We can't even go to our local library after 5pm because that's when it closes now.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:43 AM

960 posts, read 1,512,300 times
Some of the people who were "laid off" this week from Sarasota County had been with the county for years and years and years. I think the total amount of people who have been "laid off" from the County within the last 2-3 months is somewhere between 140-150.

For a more complete look at the deteriorating conditions in Sarasota County, here's a link to a Sarasota Herald Tribune article:

Many kinds of pain as housing woes hit all sectors

Here's a couple of quotes from the article. I think the numbers relating to local "layoffs" are on the low side, considering Sarasota County governments "layoffs" are not counted.

[I]The July rate in Charlotte County was 5.5 percent -- the worst since Hurricane Charley -- while Sarasota County's rose to 4.4 percent and Manatee to 4.2 percent.
The increases range from 45 percent to 62 percent compared with the same time last year.
Though the biggest impacts have come from the distressed housing market, there have also been hits to the region's manufacturing community, which once defied its national counterpart's job-shedding woes.
Retail lost 400 jobs in the Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice metropolitan area from July 2006 to last month. Construction and manufacturing both shed 300 positions. Transportation, warehousing and utilities cut 200 jobs, while leisure and hospitality and federal government sectors both trimmed 100.
Tina Stebner is a 37-year-old college-educated former British Petroleum account executive who came to Sarasota from Chicago three years ago. She bought a home two years ago -- at the height of the real estate boom and in the middle of the insurance premium and property tax crisis.
When she lost her job at BP, she began temping. But even those sporadic jobs "ran out" in the past year.
For the last year, she has essentially been unemployed. In July, after looking for work unsuccessfully for months, she landed a sales job in Venice. But two weeks ago, she was let go because of "economic uncertainty."[I]
[/i]
The unemployment situation combined with rising taxes and property insurance premiums has made Southwest Florida unlivable for many, Sewell said.
"It's gotten to be like California, but without the wages."[/
I]

Old 08-24-2007, 08:49 AM

84 posts, read 338,491 times
What burns my a$$ is that the City of Sarasota actually contemplated (and maybe still is contemplating) a new baseball stadium for the Cincinnati Reds. Ed Smith stadium, which was built in the early 1990's, looks just as nice, and is as perfectly functional as the day it was built. Sure, I like baseball as much as the next guy, but there is absolutely no reason to spend city funds on a new stadium, when Ed Smith will do just fine. For those who don't know, Ed Smith Stadium was built to replace the aged Payne Park that was downtown. Now, THAT stadium needed to be replaced, but Ed Smith is still as beautiful as ever, and sits empty for most of the year anyway.

Port Charlotte is building a new stadium for the Tampa Bay Rays, and they had just built the existing stadium in Port Charlotte back in the 90's as well.

McKechnie Field in Bradenton is an example of an older stadium that remains perfectly functional, without a real need to spend millions on a new baseball complex.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:55 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,935,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasota_Blues View Post
What burns my a$$ is that the City of Sarasota actually contemplated (and maybe still is contemplating) a new baseball staium for the Cincinnati Reds. Ed Smith stadium, which was built in the early 1990's, looks just as nice, and is as perfectly functional as the day it was built. Sure, I like baseball as much as the next guy, but there is absolutely no reason to spend city funds on a new stadium, when Ed Smith will do just fine.

Port Charlotte is building a new stadium for the Tampa Bay Rays, and they had just built the existing stadium in Port Charlotte back in the 90's as well.

Well, see, in their minds, they get revenue from building that stadium. Taxes, tourists, etc will pay into it. But I thought I saw this week that the new stadium was not a go due to money issues. It burns me every time a new stadium is built when it seems unneccessary in so many metro areas. Most of the time, these stadiums are in the most improverished part of the neighborhood riddled with gangs & drugs [Fort Myers & where the Red Sox play....I want to be well armed going there]. Council people think professional sports will bring $$ to the city. It will, to an extent, but they never bother to give a damn about much else it seems.

Port Charlotte needs to work on a WHOLE lot more than building a stadium. That place just scares me.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:56 AM

16,299 posts, read 34,999,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasota_Blues View Post
What burns my a$$ is that the City of Sarasota actually contemplated (and maybe still is contemplating) a new baseball stadium for the Cincinnati Reds. Ed Smith stadium, which was built in the early 1990's, looks just as nice, and is as perfectly functional as the day it was built. Sure, I like baseball as much as the next guy, but there is absolutely no reason to spend city funds on a new stadium, when Ed Smith will do just fine. For those who don't know, Ed Smith Stadium was built to replace the aged Payne Park that was downtown. Now, THAT stadium needed to be replaced, but Ed Smith is still as beautiful as ever, and sits empty for most of the year anyway.

McKechnie Field in Bradenton is an example of an older stadium that remains perfectly functional, without a real need to spend millions on a new baseball complex.
Henley field in Lakeland is another example of a nice older stadium that remains functional, and is also on the list of historic places:

Ball Parks of the Minor Leagues - Henley Field
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area