U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 05:17 PM

6,864 posts, read 11,056,332 times

Advertisements

I'm not a tree hugger but the actions of Westfield Mall Sarasota Square and their removal of trees is appauling and disgusting. They are using the lame excuse that 100 trees are diseased and/or causing the roots to lift and crack parking lot curbs.
Has anyone identified the mysterious disease that is affecting only the trees in front of the Macy's and JC Penny stores?
The trees are being removed so you can see the store fronts and signs from U.S. 41 Is there anyone within 20 miles of the mall that doesn't know that there is a Macy's or JC Penny there?
And then there's 'the tree roots are cracking the curbs'. Really? Who cares. Trees grow. That's what they do.
But mall management said - Not to worry- The trees will be replaced. We know how replacements will look. They will resemble 6" broom sticks with twigs.
Check back in 30 years when another disease will strike.
Being that the trees were over 30 years old and the thickness of the stumps, didn't they qualify as protected trees under the county tree ordinance? Or does getting someone to declare them as 'diseased' cover the reason for cutting them down?
It seems that the corporation that bought the Village Green golf course didn't play the game properly. They didn't get someone to declare all the trees as being 'diseased. They just cut them down and got heavy fines that put them out of business.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 07:01 PM

16,512 posts, read 35,769,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I'm not a tree hugger but the actions of Westfield Mall Sarasota Square and their removal of trees is appauling and disgusting. They are using the lame excuse that 100 trees are diseased and/or causing the roots to lift and crack parking lot curbs.
Has anyone identified the mysterious disease that is affecting only the trees in front of the Macy's and JC Penny stores?
The trees are being removed so you can see the store fronts and signs from U.S. 41 Is there anyone within 20 miles of the mall that doesn't know that there is a Macy's or JC Penny there?
And then there's 'the tree roots are cracking the curbs'. Really? Who cares. Trees grow. That's what they do.
But mall management said - Not to worry- The trees will be replaced. We know how replacements will look. They will resemble 6" broom sticks with twigs.
Check back in 30 years when another disease will strike.
Being that the trees were over 30 years old and the thickness of the stumps, didn't they qualify as protected trees under the county tree ordinance? Or does getting someone to declare them as 'diseased' cover the reason for cutting them down?
It seems that the corporation that bought the Village Green golf course didn't play the game properly. They didn't get someone to declare all the trees as being 'diseased. They just cut them down and got heavy fines that put them out of business.
Sadly, Sarasota is very pro tree-cutting. I found this out when we lived here the first time (1981-1997). They have cut down soooo many beautiful old trees in this city/county it makes me cry. Not to mention the historic buildings that are gone. There are many things I love about Sarasota, but this is not one of them. I much prefer Bradenton/Manatee which is a "tree city" and they actually fight businesses not to cut them down.

I hate that old useless Westfield mall anyway, and far prefer Benderson's developments on University Parkway.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:10 AM

16,377 posts, read 20,923,143 times
Those big trees gave a lot of shade for parking underneath. It was always nice to get back to a cool car that was not baking in the sun. Those were the coveted parking spots.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:26 PM

2,802 posts, read 2,374,173 times
The trees also supported wildlife.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:12 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,154,197 times
I wanted to just jump in here and say this, in spite of how brash, unreasonable, and unpleasant it is:

I wish they would burn every mall in this country to the ground. I despise malls.

That is all.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:05 PM

857 posts, read 2,101,369 times
I agree.

Shame on Penny's and Macy's.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:02 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,818,539 times
"Poor sales MUST be due to the trees blocking the stores...CUT THEM DOWN!"

Old 11-13-2011, 07:58 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,960,968 times
they made an already unattractive area even more unattractive. it seems pretty obvious that they wanted better store visibilty from the highway.

as much as i hate big government and their control, there is something to be said for municiapal codes that cover signs and looks of business's.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:56 AM

6,864 posts, read 11,056,332 times
The County Commissioners passed a 'tree' ordinance to show the enviros that they were tree friendly. But two years ago, I heard the familar sound of a chain saw on my street. I went out to see which one of my neighbors were taking down another tree. It was three guys with a truck wacking branches off trees in the 'right of way'. I questioned them to find out why they were 'trimming' trees. I was told they were hired by the county to take branches off trees to make room for fire trucks and ambulances. [none of the branches would inhibit the movement of any size vehicle] But they were trimming the trees from a bucket lift. Looks like the county may be purchasing really big fire trucks and ambulances.
The odd thing is that three streets south, the road is designated as a 'canopy tree' street and you can't even remove a twig from a tree on that street.
re: the mall- I wonder how many people in the area don't know that there is a Macy's or a JC Penny at that mall that they have to remove all the trees at the entrances so you can see them from U.S. 41. And considering the distance, shouldn't drivers on U.S. 41 be watching where they are driving not looking for store fronts?

Old 11-16-2011, 03:04 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,256,307 times
I appreciate mature trees and all, especially in public places, but sometimes there are just too many of them. I don't want to live and play in a forest. If I did, I would go to a forest. Trees may provide some shade, but they can also block the view of beautiful surroundings. Trees also drop crap all over homes and cars, and the animals that inhabit them drop their crap all over the same. I wish the city of Madison would cut down more trees in my neighborhood, or at least stop planting new ones for awhile. Even if that happened, my neighborhood still would have too much foliage, remaining a far cry from the barren wasteland of a mall parking lot.

I must still be grumpy that I had to rake a TON of leaves this year. I could use more sun. Oh wait, I can't see the sun because of all the trees.

End rant. Time to move to someplace warmer and sunnier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>