Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 08:11 AM

697 posts, read 1,169,866 times

Advertisements

We live off Price & Toledo Blade...love it...quiet, yet close to everything needed. My son loves his school and we are not in mega home debt either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 09:17 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,847 times
There is so much less for sale in NP then when I was looking about two years ago. Homes now being built and that was just not going on two years ago. Prices are up from the 40s and 50s to the 110s and 200s now. I know a few of the realtors who said that many of the homes being built in NP are 200 and up. So people who have a bit to spend are not shying away from dumping it into NP. I think a new Bone Fish grill is being built on the corner of Salford and 41 in the new plaza. Its growing again.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:07 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times
I live in North Port and feel very safe. We are happy with Cranberry school for our two boys 9 and 11. You just need to use common sense - I would not be out walking at night by myself without protection - even though I doubt anything would happen I would not take the risk wherever I lived. We have a very large dog and a gun - everyone should have one.

We are just renting and I would buy in either North Port, Venice, or Englewood - they all look like nice, safe communities to me. But - like people say - neighborhoods are important -the nicely kept ones usually have lower crime. Also - make sure you check the sex offender registry before your rent or buy. I would never buy close to a sex offender for the obvious reasons but also because no one would buy my house when I am ready to leave.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:38 PM

697 posts, read 1,169,866 times
My neighbor listed his home low, $129,000..had an offer in two days

Old 01-22-2014, 02:49 PM

6 posts, read 9,200 times
OK, so the early comments in 2011 indicated an iffy area being South Venice. What's the current status please

Old 01-28-2014, 06:38 AM

93 posts, read 192,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannehapke View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to the Venice this summer with our eight year old and eleven year old, they will be in second and sixth grade next school year. Venice schools seemed very nice and this is the same size town we are moving from in Central Illinois. Venice seems very safe and it appears to have lots of activities for children and not just sports. I am currently a School Social Worker and have been for the last nine years, I have a Masters Degree in Social Work and my husband has been in sales and management for the last twenty three years with the same company. We are looking for a warmer climate, but still a nice safe area to raise our children. Is Venice a good move for us, we also like all of the bike and walking trails as our boys are very much outdoor kiddos. Our price range for a home is up to $125,000.00 and I have seen a lot of nice homes in our price range in Venice. We will live in a rental when we first move there until we decide exactly where we want to buy. Is this is good move for us?? Any comments are very welcome!!
You sound like us from when we moved from up north. We thought "Venice" too...in fact, but husband works in Venice...but we decided on North Port because we were under the age of 103.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:13 AM

475 posts, read 900,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannehapke View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to the Venice this summer with our eight year old and eleven year old, they will be in second and sixth grade next school year. Venice schools seemed very nice and this is the same size town we are moving from in Central Illinois. Venice seems very safe and it appears to have lots of activities for children and not just sports. I am currently a School Social Worker and have been for the last nine years, I have a Masters Degree in Social Work and my husband has been in sales and management for the last twenty three years with the same company. We are looking for a warmer climate, but still a nice safe area to raise our children. Is Venice a good move for us, we also like all of the bike and walking trails as our boys are very much outdoor kiddos. Our price range for a home is up to $125,000.00 and I have seen a lot of nice homes in our price range in Venice. We will live in a rental when we first move there until we decide exactly where we want to buy. Is this is good move for us?? Any comments are very welcome!!
I moved to the nearby Palmer Ranch 4 years ago from Mi.with my older teen son and daughter. I have spent some time getting to know this area (I retired at 49) and if I was to do it again I would choose Venice. If I had small children as you do I would keep my options open and explore the other areas while you rent. Being from the Midwest the climate is too hot for us to enjoy the outdoors other than in the winter. Your kids may need options for indoor fun in summer time that younger communities like Lakewood Ranch might provide. Of course a swimming pool can amuse children for hours on end in the summer but after a few years the interest may wane. Feel free to IM me.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:17 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
We are retired and seasonal--
have daughter who married young man living in condo on Venice island and they lived there for almost 7 years before buying a home in Nokomis
there was new couple with young twins who bought home in their/our neighborhood a few months ago and if you go to the mall or the Y or the fountain park in Venice you see kids

there are plenty at Laurel Nokomis elementary where her best friend's son goes...

but the area density is skewed to retired people so the likelihood of buying in just any neighborhood and finding neighbors with kids is not working in your favor...
plus I don't think people let their kids play outside by themselves like they did when my kids (now late 30s) were growing up...too dangerous for various reasons...
so you aren't likely to SEE children playing when you drive by

my advice--
pick a place that seems to offer activities geared for children--youth sports, YMCA, parks, good schools--
rent in that area and get involved in your children's activities and ASK PEOPLE where they live
I think you will find that many families live in variety of neighborhoods and most don't have lot of kids in their immediate area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area