Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:29 PM

4 posts, read 10,350 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I am moving to North Port, Fl for my work and would prefer to stay in the actual area of North Port rather than commuting in. Need some advice on where is the safest areas and where in general I should stay away from in order to stay away from as much crime as possible. I already know a little bit such as in general there is more crime near Biscayne. And from what I've heard Toledo Blade is a nice area. Can anyone else elaborate good v. bad areas useing major roads as landmarks. Price is really not a large issue but we will be renting a house and are not independantly wealthy so the lower the better. Thank You!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 05:43 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
Most areas in North Port are referred to by the larger street they run off of. For instance the area near Chamberlain Blvd is referred to as the Chamberlain area. The area between Sumter Blvd and Toledo Blade Blvd is pretty popular. Sumter and Toledo Blade both run out to I-75, which make it a great area for commuters.

The section off of South Biscayne Blvd is the original area of North Port and many of the homes are the small block style homes built in the 1960's. This area has less expensive homes.

The next area to be built in North Port was off of Salford Blvd. Many of the homes off of that area were built in the 1980's and early 1990's.

The rest of North Port is fairly new with homes being built in the 2000's or newer.

North Port is located about 25 minutes from the beaches. They have a Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, several restaurants, gas stations, Walgreens, Publix and Winn Dixie grocery stores, etc. For any other shopping or the bigger chain restaurants people go to Port Charlotte about 10 minutes away. Then Sarasota is 30 minutes or so depending on where you're going.

I used to live off of Toledo Blade Blvd. closer to Hillsborough near Kenvil and loved the area. I walked my dog every evening and got to know all the neighbors, even a few streets away from me, pretty well. It is a nice neighborhood and I always felt safe there. They made Toledo Blade a 4 lane and added sidewalks where you can ride your bike or walk. It is closer to Port Charlotte and all the stores. Yet you can still go Toledo Blade to 776 and drive straight to the Englewood Beach.

There are homes for rent in different price ranges or you may want to look into renting at Toledo Club Apartments on Toledo Blade. It is right near where I used to live. I find those to be the best apartments in the area. I have some customers that live there now.

Some rental agencies I would suggest are www.rentmeflorida.com and Douglas Realty Property Management.

Good luck on your move and your new job.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:18 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Many of the homes that I sell are in the area from Sumter Blvd up to just south of I75 down to Hillsborough Blvd (the dividing line between North Port and Port Charlotte) and then over to Toledo Blade Blvd. Another popular are is the 51st addition-just south of Bobcat Trail.

It really depends on what you're looking for. Some people like to be in an area with not a lot of people around. If that's what you're looking for then you might want to look east of Toledo Blade Blvd.

I live off of south Chamberlain Blvd in North Port. There are many families and a few retirees.

Good luck with your move.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:27 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,994 times
We live off of Cranberry. Nice newer homes and a pretty quiet area. People are friendly and we walk and bike around the whole area. We have a lot of nice wild life too. Hawks, owls, opossums and an occasional bobcat to name a few. We really like it here.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:15 PM

4 posts, read 10,350 times
Thank you so much for your input. I'm currently looking at a place on Salimista Ter. Any thoughts on the neighborhood safe? convenient?

Old 11-21-2011, 01:43 PM

Yes, Salmista is a nice and safe area. It is off of S. Chamberlain and close to W. Price Blvd. W. Price takes you east and west in North Port. You can take W. Price to Toledo Blade and hop on the I-75 highway. If you go to the south end of S. Chamberlain you will run into Rt 41 (Tamiami Trail) which takes you anywhere north and south. We have friends that live on Wurtsmith and it is only a few blocks on the other side of S. Chamberlain. I also currently have a Pending Sale on Saracen which is off of Salmista. Good luck on your home search.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:50 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asics5kxc View Post
Thank you so much for your input. I'm currently looking at a place on Salimista Ter. Any thoughts on the neighborhood safe? convenient?
Salmista is a decent area. I live about three streets from there but on the other side of South Chamberlain. It's pretty convenient to I75, the new Publix, Walgreens, etc.

The neighborhood is a mix of retirees and young families. Lots of people with dogs. My hubby walks our dogs each evening and there must be 15 other neighbors who join in.

Good luck with your search

Old 11-21-2011, 11:26 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
If you want easier access to U.S. 41 for shopping in Port Charlotte, you may want to look at the Haberland, San Mateo, Atwater areas. It's less populated and with newer homes.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 2,174 times
Default Looking at homes in North Port Fl

Hi everyone,

Im also looking at a house off of Sumpter, between Beeber and Ragen St.
Seems like a nice area newer and older homes, close to both 75 and 41. How is that area in general? Thanks

Old 03-06-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugsey2 View Post
Hi everyone,

Im also looking at a house off of Sumpter, between Beeber and Ragen St.
Seems like a nice area newer and older homes, close to both 75 and 41. How is that area in general? Thanks
We rented a house on Santana, right near where you are talking about when we first moved to North Port. It is a mixed neighborhood of older and newer homes. The neighbors were very friendly. We walked our dog every evening. Some of the streets have some flooding problems and some of the driveways do too in that area during the summer rainy season. I am not sure if the roads have been repaved since we lived there in 2004. That area is near Heron Creek Golf & Country Club and it is convenient to I-75 and 41.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area