Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:00 AM

535 posts, read 1,031,659 times

Advertisements

Hi all:
I have some wild bushes at the edge of my canal that block my view of the water. How do I tell if they are Mangroves and if they are can I still trim or remove them? Does any one know of some one who will do that work. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 10:34 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,509 times
Can you post a picture? Not that I would know what they are but someone here probably will.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:41 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
I DM'd you

Old 12-13-2011, 11:38 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
You may want to look up on the Internet photos of mangroves. There are several different species and they are protected in Florida. There is a Mangrove Trimming and Preservation Act. There are also regulations for cutting them back. Check with the county that you live in. There are licensed companies that can cut the mangroves to the correct height.

Here is the Florida Department of Environmental Conservation web site with info on mangroves:

* FACTS ABOUT MANGROVES IN FLORIDA: Southwest District of the Dept. of Environmental Protection

Old 12-13-2011, 02:20 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
There are 3 kinds of mangroves that are protected. They grow near saltwater. Also buttonwoods can't be killed (in some counties), but buttonwoods can be trimmed.

Then there are brazillian peppers which are out-of-control plants that can and should be removed.

Sometimes all of the above are intermixed near the water and all can be similar in size. You have to identify the species before you take action.

There are companies that specialize in mangrove trimming and they know the laws and they submit permits that are needed to trim. Google mangrove trim and your county. They have to be licensed mangrove trimmers.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:00 AM

Once you have them all removed (eh hemmmm, legally, of course ;-) go out once a month and remove the new seedling tubes (very easy to pull) before they have a chance to really root in and grow so you don't have this problem again.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:58 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Once you have them all removed (eh hemmmm, legally, of course ;-) go out once a month and remove the new seedling tubes (very easy to pull) before they have a chance to really root in and grow so you don't have this problem again.
This is against the law..to remove the mangroves when they are big or to remove the mangrove seedlings that are taking root.

It's bad enough that you are breaking the law(else why would you know they are easy to pull), but then advising others to do so?

Old 12-14-2011, 07:21 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
This is against the law..to remove the mangroves when they are big or to remove the mangrove seedlings that are taking root.

It's bad enough that you are breaking the law(else why would you know they are easy to pull), but then advising others to do so?
Agree. NO ONE should be doing this.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:48 AM

Yeah yeah yeah. If nobody did it, there wouldn't be a single waterfront home because EVERY property's frontage would be consumed by peppers and mangroves, rendering the water inaccessible, and therefore worthless. Legal or not, it happens. I have nothing to hide, yes, I do maintain my water frontage by removing the seedling tubes. So do all of my neighbors and pretty much everyone on my waterway. Send the environmentalists :-0 If you live on the water, you know what I am talking about. If you don't, then you really don't have any credibility arguing with me on this.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:45 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Yeah yeah yeah. If nobody did it, there wouldn't be a single waterfront home because EVERY property's frontage would be consumed by peppers and mangroves, rendering the water inaccessible, and therefore worthless. Legal or not, it happens. I have nothing to hide, yes, I do maintain my water frontage by removing the seedling tubes. So do all of my neighbors and pretty much everyone on my waterway. Send the environmentalists :-0 If you live on the water, you know what I am talking about. If you don't, then you really don't have any credibility arguing with me on this.
But aren't the mangroves going to protect your house and property?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area