Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:28 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,354,869 times

Advertisements

Bullwinkle can't be far behind! Maybe we'll get him on camera tonight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 07:02 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,126,770 times
.22 short. wont even wake up the neighbors and then you have something to match up to pictures.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:57 PM

462 posts, read 1,700,637 times
I'm curious about this stick cam...what is it?

Old 12-20-2011, 03:14 PM

It's an outdoor infared survelliance camera that hubby tie wrapped to an old mop handle and has it stuck in the ground. We got the set up at Sam's. It comes with two outdoor cameras and one small table top indoor one. The other camera is mounted to the eaves of the house. We like the stick cam and move it around the yard to see what wild life we have. The other night there was a big old fat raccoon climbing the bird feeder.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:37 PM

125 posts, read 192,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
It's an outdoor infared survelliance camera that hubby tie wrapped to an old mop handle and has it stuck in the ground. We got the set up at Sam's. It comes with two outdoor cameras and one small table top indoor one. The other camera is mounted to the eaves of the house. We like the stick cam and move it around the yard to see what wild life we have. The other night there was a big old fat raccoon climbing the bird feeder.
When we are in Florida, we spend evenings with our American friends. We put out food for the raccoons (our friends obviously do it all year round)and it is wonderful to watch the raccoons eat. We also put out a bowl of water with canned whole fish in it. The raccoons wash their food anyway. We sit about two feet away from them behind a screen door, they are so close and the light is on, we can see so much. Sometimes Armadillos and Possums arrive for food too. I just love Florida and all the wild life. You are all so lucky over there. Here I have made 'friends' of foxes and badgers and have them arrive each evening for their supper. Usually a hedgehog or two will arrive earlier on to help himself to their food. I do be very anxious as badgers are the only known predators of hedgehogs, they have such long front claws that they can 'open' up the hedgehog when he rolls into a ball. It is really funny to see a hedgehog squelshing up the garden path when he has climbed onto the plate and walked all over the jam tarts (a badger's favourite)!

Old 12-20-2011, 04:14 PM

I didn't intend to feed the flying squirrels, regular squirrels or raccoons but they are helping themselves so what the heck?

We are really trying to catch sight of the armidillos, we know they are here, they are tearing up the yard and we'd just like to SEE them.

Oh, we have also seen opossums and a bobcat!

Old 12-21-2011, 10:02 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,856,529 times
Gawd I hate possums. They're nothing but big rats. Brrrrrrr.....they creep me out. We had a family of raccoons living in one of our trees once, and later noticed a dead adult coon on the road one day. Didn't think anything of it until one day I ran the garage door up to go to work and 3 baby coons ran in. Mr.cool had to kill them, they wouldn't make it on their own. We figured it must've been their mother that got hit out in the road. Sad.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:58 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,219,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
I didn't intend to feed the flying squirrels, regular squirrels or raccoons but they are helping themselves so what the heck?

We are really trying to catch sight of the armidillos, we know they are here, they are tearing up the yard and we'd just like to SEE them.

Oh, we have also seen opossums and a bobcat!
I'd be careful with feeding the flying squirrels. At least make sure that your house is buttoned up tight before you entice them to be around. They love to get into attics and can cause a lot of trouble (wire chewing) ect. They usually enter up on the roof. Ridge vent strips, also where soffits meet existing roofs. The older style barrell type tile roofs can be a real pain. It's no problem for a flying squirrel to fly a hundred feet off a tree to get on a roof. Down your way they can be rather expensive to get rid of. If your sure there are no possible entry points, feed away.

Last edited by Ken E; 12-21-2011 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-21-2011, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the tips, I never gave any thought to them trying to get into the house. We put the seed out for the birds but maybe we shouldn't put any out at all, I know they can find food, we have just been having fun watching them. When the feeders are empty I guess they should stay empty, as much fun as they are to watch I don't want them coming in and destroying the house.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:34 AM

38 posts, read 67,286 times
Default Are there Coati in Sarasota area ?

Merry Christmas everybody ! Are there Coati in the area ? Have never saw them in Florida but see lots in Mexico .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area