Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,965 times

Advertisements

How do you get hold of a copy of the restrictions for Desoto Lakes Country Club Colon in Sarasota?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 07:06 PM

275 posts, read 715,230 times
Those should be on file (public records, Manatee County) but I don't seem to be able to find the right way to access them...

Old 11-21-2012, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,802 times
When it comes to value - I think an important point needs to be reinforced. A good HOA ensures that the community is kept to a standard. That standard equates to value. Without an HOA, a neighborhood can go downhill, and depreciate. I live in a small community, and pay $250 per year to my HOA. In return, I enjoy a well maintained, clean, community. I have most freedoms, but also know I can't park on the front lawn, and nor can my neighbors. Simple things like that are enforced. Just my opinion, but cars on blocks, or parked on the front lawn - I just don't want to live like that, or next to that.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:08 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,453,624 times
..and you don't need an HOA for any of that. The only "good" HOA corporation is a non-existent one.
There is no evidence that HOAs "preserve" any value whatsoever - the HOA-heavy Florida real estate market is ample evidence that involuntary membership corporations don't preserve value for anyone except the HOA attorneys and HOA management companies.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:10 PM

62 posts, read 96,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
..and you don't need an HOA for any of that. The only "good" HOA corporation is a non-existent one.

There is no evidence that HOAs "preserve" any value whatsoever....
Without an HOA, how does a community manage and maintain any common area? How does it handle conjoined properties -- townhouses and condos? How does it handle services like trash collection if not provided by the local government?

We're currently building in LWR Country Club East, and are happy to be moving into an HOA governed community.

FWIW, my wife and I have been on townhouse community HOA boards for the last 25 years up here in Virginia, where state laws regulating HOAs are much more stringent than those in Florida. (To our eyes, most areas of the Florida code are pretty primitive.)

Up here, while there is occasional drama and conflict between owners, but there is no doubt that HOAs contribute value in the minds of most property buyers.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:33 PM

657 posts, read 695,427 times
Not sure i agree with last comment.

Being raised in North Jersey, there were no HOAs.... anywhere.. and middle to upper class neighborhoods were in prestine shape. My opinion is of coursed biased because of this experience, but I am not a proponent of these things.

People normally pay the city in the form of taxes or hire a company for garbage pickup.
People maintain their own lawns and ensure their houses are clean. The majority of homes where i lived where well taken care of, and the prices held extremely well through the downturn.

I would rather have a trashy neighbor than having someone tell me what i can and cannot do in my property. Not that i'm thinking of storing garbage outside of the house, but 4 governments (city, county, state, federal) is enough.

I just dont see the benefits of paying 4000 dollars on top of another 5000 in taxes for services i can do myself.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:56 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
I see benefits and faults with both but then that's the way I am. I will point out to you, though, that I suspect the reason you view HOAs negatively is that you view them as restricting what you can and cannot do. In truth, the people who see HOAs as beneficial don't view them that way. They are looking to live in a place where they know their neighbors are likely to share their values regarding property ownership. It doesn't make either one right or wrong, just different strokes...

Old 12-05-2012, 08:17 PM

Agree bbronston,

I know i'm biased as i've never lived in one. Perhaps the fear factor.

My point above is exactly about the values of homeowners. I just havent seen much difference in the values, like i said, people actually seemed more closely knitt although they didnt have this extra layer of laws.

But i can see why someone that is bothered by a neighbors poor choice of color would be more apt to chosing an hoa community. Not sure i'd like to live near anyone like that.

Dont know, reminds me of old futuristic movies where everyone's house was the same, they ate the same thing, they honked at the same time, etc..

It's also interesting that liberal states like nyc, nj have less hoa's than states in the south. Truly intriging.

Last edited by SarasotaBound1; 12-05-2012 at 08:55 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 09:21 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times
You may want to spend some time looking at both deed restricted neighborhoods with HOAs and those that are not deed restricted and therefore the only property standards are the minimums provided thru the county zoning codes.

Not all deed restricted neighborhoods have an inch thick book of rules & regulations - especially some of the older deed restricted communities. There are a wide variety of deed restricted neighborhoods in our area, some with HOA fees of $75 or less per year.

Some neighborhoods without deed restrictions look pretty good, others do not. You could have a neighbor that cuts his lawn only when it reaches the maximum height allowed before code enforcement pays them a call, or 6 cars parking in a yard every night because that home's a rental with multiple tenants. And yes, I've seen that over the years even in neighborhoods priced in the $200k to $300k range. When looking at homes in a neighborhood without deed restrictions, buyers should always keep in mind that what may be a nice looking street now can see changes in standards with the sale of neighboring homes in the future. Before buying, it would be a good idea to check the Sarasota or Manatee county zoning department property standards (both have them posted on line) as that will be your base line for non deed restricted areas of the counties. If within the city limits of Sarasota or Bradenton, you should go to the city's web site for their zoning property standards.

There's no right or wrong answer on deed restricted vs non deed restricted neighborhoods, it's all a matter of personal preference and lifestyle.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
You may want to spend some time looking at both deed restricted neighborhoods with HOAs and those that are not deed restricted and therefore the only property standards are the minimums provided thru the county zoning codes.

Not all deed restricted neighborhoods have an inch thick book of rules & regulations - especially some of the older deed restricted communities. There are a wide variety of deed restricted neighborhoods in our area, some with HOA fees of $75 or less per year.

Some neighborhoods without deed restrictions look pretty good, others do not. You could have a neighbor that cuts his lawn only when it reaches the maximum height allowed before code enforcement pays them a call, or 6 cars parking in a yard every night because that home's a rental with multiple tenants. And yes, I've seen that over the years even in neighborhoods priced in the $200k to $300k range. When looking at homes in a neighborhood without deed restrictions, buyers should always keep in mind that what may be a nice looking street now can see changes in standards with the sale of neighboring homes in the future. Before buying, it would be a good idea to check the Sarasota or Manatee county zoning department property standards (both have them posted on line) as that will be your base line for non deed restricted areas of the counties. If within the city limits of Sarasota or Bradenton, you should go to the city's web site for their zoning property standards.

There's no right or wrong answer on deed restricted vs non deed restricted neighborhoods, it's all a matter of personal preference and lifestyle.
Excellent information. I guess i would not mind moving into a deed restricted community if the fees were as low as you mentioned. In terms of not looking pretty, could the same not happen to deed restricted?

I've only been in florida a few times, but where i live there are no HOAs and the neighborhood has been this way for a long time. I guess up here in the north east bad neighborhoods stay bad and good stay good.

In my humble opinion the negatives outweigh the positives. There are less than 25 million homes governed by HOAs, out of 100 million. If HOAs were a requirement for good neighborhoods, 75% of the US would considered 'bad'.

Positives
- Clean well kept neighborhood
- control over neighbor's life (not sure this is positive)

Negatives
- additional cost
- lack of ability to do basic things like paint, put up a basketball court, etc
- lack of trust and sense of community between neighbors
- at mercy of the board
- costs can rise at any time
- possibility of losing home to HOA
- favoritism
- etc, etc

I agree, it's a personal choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area