U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 6,563 times

Advertisements

Ok here's our situation, we live in Western PA now (hate it). I am in my last year of my Bachelors of Social Work, then 1 1/2 yrs for my Masters in Social Work. Husband travels the US for his job, so no issues with work for him. As for me i figure my job will be in St. Pete, Tampa, or Bradenton, Sarasota when I finish my degree. (I watch those job markets all the time for Social Work and they are pretty steady.) I don't mind up to an hour commute, I don't want to live right next to work!

We just recently spent x-mas and new years in Wesley Chapel Florida, (Pasco County). Rented a home in Meadow Brook it was nice for a rental, but not how we would prefer to live. No Elbow Room! We like the nicer as far as the area we liked the variety of shops and restaurants around. We did go to Brandon & Valerico, but that area was what we refer to as sketchy, and we were out by Dade City and Zeypherhills, but that is sketchy too, one nice development and then shack, trailer, shack. Don't want that! And all the new developments up there are same house, same house, and ass on top of another....

We would like to build a home (since it is our last and final resting place) LOL, of because of course at our age we are picky! We do want a pool and spa, and need to be able to fence our yard, (doggies & like the privacy). Prefer a half acre or a little under, or even up to an acre (but not necessary to be that big). We would like some elbow room between our home and the neighbors, and would like a development/area that when driving to it, your not passing shack, trailer, shack, abandoned building, pawn shops! We are looking in the market at around $300,000, and would like to find a development that we can purchase a lot now and build in 2-3yrs. We prefer not a golf course development, and don't really need a community club house, exercise facility, or community pool amenaties. We do understand the CDD fee and HOA fee stipulations, and we do want a deed restricted area. Our idea of home size would be 2200-3000 sq ft. But as of now just interested in finding a decent lot in a development that will allow us to build a house of that size and not require a 3500-4000 sq ft home.

From looking at real estate on the internet, for the past five yrs in florida, I am always drawn to the Bradenton, Parrish, Sarasota area as far as developments and houses. It just seems to have our kind of feel.

Can anyone point me into a direction to where I can find what I am looking for and keep tabs as to current and future developments that fall within the above mentioned? I would deeply appreciate it.

And any down to earth bring me to my senses advice about what to expect and if I am dreaming is welcomed also!!!

I also know everyone says work with a realtor, but at this point we are not at that point in our time line right now. We need to narrow our areas down before we get that involved!

Thanks in advance,
Danyelle
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 11:02 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,966,539 times
I reread your requirements and changed my post.

There are a ton of lots for sale in Foxbrook, Twin Rivers, Rye Wilderness, Mill Creek and Winding Creek but if you don't want HOA or deed restrictions then those won't work. I won't rule them out though. Most have minimal restrictions, larger lots and lower HOA fees.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 01-06-2012 at 11:15 AM..

Old 01-06-2012, 11:45 AM

164 posts, read 339,938 times
The developments that SoFLGal mentioned definitely fit your criteria. I am partial to Twin Rivers since we are currently building a home there. I will send you a DM with some of my thoughts on the area.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:14 PM

4,293 posts, read 6,608,933 times
In addition to buying lots in the subdivisions already given, there are a few neighborhoods in or near Sarasota that have 1 acre lots where you might consider rehabbing the existing home or tear down/ build.

Desoto Acres in north Sarasota county has quite a few lots where the owners have torn down the old 1960's homes and built new construction. The lots are typically 1 - 5 acres and are popular because the area is close to downtown Sarasota and University Parkway for shopping and amenities.

Ravenwood (Desoto Pines) is just east of Desoto Acres & south of University Parkway. They have 1 acre lots. Ravenwood does have deed restrictions. I know 2 families that live there and they love it.

SE of Ravenwood is Hidden Forest. It's a small subdivision of homes on 1 acre lots with winding streets and tree filled lots. The homes have a diversity of styles. I know a family living there and they really like the community.

Shadow Oaks, east of I75 and north of Bee Ridge offers 1 acre lots on winding, tree lined streets. Shadow Oaks has a diversity of home styles, not cookie cutter. I have friends that have lived there for many years and they love it because they have privacy but are close to Bee Ridge and shopping.

Racimo Ranches, east of I75 off of Fruitville Road is another option with 1 -2 acre lots. They do have deed restrictions.

Other 1 acre or more neighborhoods east of I75 in Sarasota county include Oak Ford, Hidden River, Myakka Valley Ranches to name a few.

In south Manatee county you might also look into Panther Ridge. There are still a few vacant lots within the community. Panther Ridge does have deed restrictions.

I think you'll find quite a few options in both Manatee and Sarasota counties.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:07 AM

275 posts, read 689,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I reread your requirements and changed my post.

There are a ton of lots for sale in Foxbrook, Twin Rivers, Rye Wilderness, Mill Creek and Winding Creek but if you don't want HOA or deed restrictions then those won't work. I won't rule them out though. Most have minimal restrictions, larger lots and lower HOA fees.
Sue in Ohio and I spent the better part of two (<2) years looking in the subdivions SFG mentions; your "wish list" sounds just like ours!

Mill Creek showed a lot of promise to us, it's fairly well established with a lot of homes in it (our builder even lives there) and you can still find some nice lots. We passed on a lot next to a pond, so there are still some choice homesites available. You can also build a detached garage/workshop here (I'm certain that it must match the style of the house, which is not a bad thing).

The first time we drove through Rye Wilderness, we thought it was nice too, but the next time we went through there, didn't get the same impression. You cannot build an out-building, so it was cut from the list.

Foxbrook is still a developing community, which is to say that there are quite a number of available homesites. We saw several that were appealing to us. They also have one (1) and five (5) acre lots in addition to 1/2-acre homesites. Out-buildings ARE allowed, but limited to 800SF.

Twin Rivers was the subdivision that we continually found ourselves comparing all the other locations to. I guess some of the oldest homes in there are approaching six (<6) years old. The first couple of phases sold out rather quickly, and the third phase was selling lots like a lottery; I think back in 2007 (before the crash) they had six hundred (600) people show up to buy twenty (20) lots! Our house is the third (3rd) one to be built in their phase-4 area, although being right next to p-3, we'll already have some neighbors nearby (separated by a preserve area). Twin Rivers has ponds and preserve areas ALL OVER, so there is a lot of natural beauty there. There are a planned two (2) more phases, though I expect it will be some years before those areas are developed for sale (probably still 100 sites left in p-4). See: Twin Rivers

Winding Creek isn't ringing a bell, so I'm not sure if we looked in there at all, or at least not to the extent of the three (3) subdivisions mentioned above.

Watching the real estate listings online is okay when looking at houses, but for lots, you really have to see them for yourself (sometimes, just the same generic picture is used to list multiple lots).

Good luck with your search, and I feel compelled to offer assistance, if you'd like pictures of any lots in (what will soon be) our immediate area. I say that because a couple people in TR have been sending us pictures of our house being built, and it's my duty to repay the favor

This could be you...

2925SF living area/4405SF under the roof

The view

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area