Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:28 PM

18 posts, read 23,674 times

Advertisements

Our Exploring the Gulf Coast trip-advice please
My Husband and I are planning on heading down to FL from MN for a couple weeks at the end of March. Our trip down is for us to start investigating areas (cities and neighborhoods) we are interested in purchasing our second home at. We are in our mid-30's, with zero kids now or ever, own a healthcare company which at this point will stay HQ in MN with our employees. Our interests include, the Vikings , listening to live music both national and local, safety, our dogs, and supporting mom and pop shops. We currently live in Uptown in Mpls which is very walkable ideally so will the city we venture to in FL.

Based off the the posts I have read (thanks for all the great information). Our current plan of attack on our exploration trip is flying into Tampa and flying back through Fort Meyers.

My must see cities/neighborhoods are:
Old NE St. Pete
St. Pete beach area
Hyde Park/SoHO
Sarasota
Ft Meyers

Please let me know if I am missing any cities you would recommend for us to consider, as well as any specific neighborhoods in the above listed cities or missing cities that may "fit our bill" .

This year we will hopefully lock down our desired area. Next year our plan is to spend 3 months in that area prior to considering purchasing.

Thank you!!
Samantha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 12:59 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,503,703 times
Every city on your list covers a very large area. You may want to narrow down neighborhoods by a price range that fits within your budget. If you post your price range, then people can give you suggestions of neighborhoods. Otherwise you will be just driving around site seeing. Are you looking for a single family home, a condo, a villa? What amenities do you want - pool, golf, tennis, etc. or a non-deed restricted area? It is a great idea to visit and rent before you buy.

I would also suggest contacting the Chamber of Commerce in each area and have them send you some information.

St. Pete - St. Petersburg Area Chamber of Commerce
Tampa - The Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce
Sarasota - Sarasota FL - Greater Sarasota Chamber of Commerce
Ft. Myers - Fort Myers Chamber of Commerce, Fort Myers, Florida

Old 01-09-2012, 01:06 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,862,931 times
Punta Gorda?
(Sorry about your Vikings.)
Not really.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:23 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,447,412 times
You'll definitely want to check out the NE section of St. Pete, close to downtown. There's always something going on there and lots of small shops and local restaurants and eateries. We love going up to downtown St. Pete for events and sometimes just to check out the funky little antique shops and book stores. You also have the advantage of being able to pop on the Gandy or Howard Frankland bridge over to the Tampa side. A lot of the neighborhoods have older homes built before the ranch style became so popular in FL. Lots of little parks too.

The St. Pete beach area would not be my first choice. You might want to check out Indian Rocks Beach. More things to do. It will put you about an hour's drive (because of traffic, stop lights, speed limits) from downtown St. Pete and a little further from downtown Tampa.

In the Sarasota area you may want to check out Anna Maria Island/ Holmes Beach area. It's not so much about high rise condos but rather homes, duplexes and smaller condo communities, plus small local businesses and restaurants. Sarasota metro area is large enough to give you lots of housing options and access to activities. St. Pete & Tampa are about 45 minutes north if you want access to major sports teams.

I've visited Ft. Myers multiple times. I find it more of a small town feel.

You didn't mention the price range you're targeting, which would also impact your options. Beach areas are obviously more expensive.

Great idea Samantha to rent 3 months in the area before buying. That will give you enough time to learn the good, the bad and the ugly before you plunk down your money on a home.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:22 PM

18 posts, read 23,674 times
Thank you for the responses. We would be looking for a single family home. Our max price range is $400,000.....although we don't want a McMansion, something on the smaller side max 3b/3b. We have two big dogs that would require we build a tall wood/vinyl fence, so HOA properties are probably out.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:57 PM

17,477 posts, read 38,898,722 times
I saw your other post, so I'm thinking you will love downtown Sarasota, and the areas around there. Are you looking for old/historic, walkable to downtown? Then check out Laurel Park, just south of downtown. Sarasota has one of the best and most vibrant downtowns in Florida for it's size. Lots of unique shops, cafes, restaurants, clubs, movies, Whole Foods - it's great. Plus the Bayfront Park is right across the street. Add to this that downtown is just a (beautiful) bridge away from St. Armand's Circle for even more shops, etc. and then Lido Beach. If you want walkable, you can hardly beat Sarasota at least as far as cities in Florida go. There is a reason a lot of celebrities call this place home at least part time.

I know I sound like a realtor or someone with something to sell, but I am just a happy Florida native who feels blessed to live here. We have several great and helpful realtors who post on this forum and can give you more specifics on areas to look. With your budget you should have a good selection in a nice neighborhood.

Good luck!

Old 01-09-2012, 05:46 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,758,891 times
If you don't check out Punta Gorda, you are making a mistake.

Does your guy like to fish? Have him read my blog:

Messing About in South Florida

Old 01-09-2012, 10:41 PM

157 posts, read 388,066 times
I'm with Gypsy chic, downtown area is great and offers so much. I live in an area of siesta key where you can walk to the village and listen to live music, and visit small shops, sarasota is just across the bridge. My neighbour hood is full of dog walkers and is ultra friendly and non deed restricted and within your price range. We also have a small farmers market on a sunday and tons of events throughout the year and round the corner from number one beach in the USA

we moved from spain and couldn't be happier, good luck with your search.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:51 AM

18 posts, read 44,020 times
Does anyone have any input on Dunedin?

Old 01-10-2012, 07:28 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,967,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debidew View Post
Does anyone have any input on Dunedin?
Dunedin is up by Clearwater, which doesn't fit into the Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice area of city-data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area