Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 05:26 PM

8,258 posts, read 4,666,091 times

Advertisements

In general I will say I understand about people wanting to enjoy their freedoms and I too am opposed to too much "Big Brother" intervention.

But sometimes IMO we must put up with a 'certain degree' of Big Brother 'intrusiveness' in order to improve the safety of the 'whole'. For example I really feel we do need security checkpoints at airports, DUI checkpoints, and some form of gun control.

I am not sure what the best policy about Siesta Key Beach is. But I agree with the previous poster that road improvements will do nothing for a 90 mph drunk driver. I haven't been to Siesta Key Beach enough to get a strong feel for it.

I do know that it is considered the younger beach in the area. I can understand some people might want to enjoy a drink on the beach - but I would hate for Siesta Key to become a 'hangout' for the college age spring break party type crowd. That can cause a lot of problems with drunkenness. I have seen some beach areas where alcohol is prohibited throughout the country. So there is a reason why it's done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 03:14 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
Drinking alcohol on the beach, being drunk, car keys in hand, no problem.
But getting caught with a lit cigarette on the beach will get you 20 years at Starke.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,199,652 times
From what I read, the police were called three times because of these drunks. They arrested one for being 'rude.' They watched the other two drunks sit on the hood of their car with bottle in hand and let them drive off.

This was 1pm in the afternoon! The beach area was filled with people and children. One call involved them harrassing some young teenagers.

Those idiots should have had their keys taken away and ordered to take a cab - the only other option should have been to go to jail and dry-out. They should not have been allowed to drive off. Three times the cops were called!

Outrageous behavior on the part of the police. They could have prevented the death of that innocent woman. Drinking should be outlawed in public places, including beaches. Public drunkenness should be outlawed in public places. Those morons should have been hauled off too jail!

Old 01-13-2012, 05:38 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,555 times
its always easy to criticize after the fact.

where does the government draw the line with the big brother thing. how much of a babysitter do we allow them to be.

do we have a cop assigned to each and every person? if so then who watches the cops?

if they came down on those kids the same people critcizing the cops would be yelling about the kids rights to have a good time and how they were violated. maybe the cops should have been able to see the future and pepper sprayed them and hit them with their night sticks knocking them out so they couldnt drive.

who should pay the fares to put every drunk in a cab?

Old 01-16-2012, 01:00 PM

38 posts, read 84,534 times
Default Since When Is It OK To Stroll Around Siesta Key Beach With An Open Liquor Bottle & Car Keys In Your Hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Ummm did you even read the article? The guy had an open bottle of whiskey and his car keys in his hand (in addition to being a drunk foul mouthed a**) when the police approached him. They could of ordered him a cab - as a law expert has already stated.

So doing something sensible like calling a cab for this guy - would mean that we are becoming a 'police state' like China? Give me a break. How do you feel about DUI checkpoints?

If bartentders/bars are held accountable for serving a drunk patron too many drinks and then not ordering him a cab - then why shouldn't trained law enforcement professionals be expected to do the sensible thing when they encounter an obvious drunk on the beach with liquor and car keys in his hand?
Enforcement should be covered by the DRAM Law. Bartenders ARE responsible for allowing patrons to become overly drunk. The trick is finding "which" bartender is responsible.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4fl View Post
Enforcement should be covered by the DRAM Law. Bartenders ARE responsible for allowing patrons to become overly drunk. The trick is finding "which" bartender is responsible.
and if there is no barteneder, as in, he went to the liquor store and bought a quart of whiskey? now instead of putting the idiots own responsibility on the cops, it is put on a bartender?

Old 01-16-2012, 03:00 PM

But the point is - you can't just say everyone should be responsible for their own actions (no need for cops, restrictions, laws for bartenders) - and the world will be beautiful and a better place. You can always say "if only he/she was responsible then there would of been no problem". However----->

One has to balance the reality of the real world (a lot of idiots and bad guys)- with what sounds good in "theory" only.

Sure it sounds good in "theory" to say don't blame/depend on the cops - everyone should just be a good boy & girl and take responsibility for their own actions. But the world has too many irresponsible bad guys for their to be 'no policing whatsoever'.

And a lot of the 'policing' is better done in a proactive way with rules and regulations - to stop bad occurrences BEFORE they happen.

Shall we do away with security checkpoints at airports and DUI checkpoints because they are a hassle and infringe upon our privacy? Why not just let everyone take responsibility for their own actions and we won't even need any police at all????

There is a grey area with checks and balances (that includes regulations, rules, laws, and police policy that some might views as infringing a tad on one's privacy or "rights") - however it's ultimately a trade-off in exchange for the safety and betterment of the public.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsing View Post
How the hell do you draw the line at a guy with a bottle and his car keys in hand and a couple with a wine bottle and keys in hand that want to have a glass of wine and watch the sun set? The problem is the OP is an emotional bag of goo. Its like saying why did the cops not get the bank robber when he had a gun in his home? Because he had not committed a crime. Its not illegal till you do something illegal. Drunk driving is illegal not drunk car key holding. So what next if a drunk looks at a car he/she should be arrested because some idiot ran over a jogger? You are nonsensical in your assessment. If someone is yelling, cursing and causing a disturbance of the peace thats another matter, He/she has broken the law and the police can do something about it. But just because someone is drunk and has a beer and a mouth does not mean that they will cause a disturbance of the peace. So if a guy walks around with a condom in his hand does that mean he is a rapist and should be arrested? Your logic is sophomoric.
When you cannot debate an issue effectively name calling doesn't make your side of the argument more effective.

So I'm wondering - According to your view police should not conduct DUI checkpoints or airport security searches because most of the people that are being stopped/searched haven't broken any laws yet?

Like I said sometimes these checkpoints are needed as proactive measures. The law (if properly) administered isn't about always just sitting back and waiting for a crime to occur (after which it's too late to bring back the lives of innocent people) - it sometimes involves proactive measures.

If your so worried about the police doing something sensible when no 'official' crime has occurred - then maybe it's time for the city to take a 'proactive' measure regarding the alcohol policy on Siesta Key.

San Diego banned alcohol on their beaches because of all the problems with drunken rowdiness:

Alcohol Crime Shifted Inland after Beach Ban - voiceofsandiego.org: Data-drive

Old 01-17-2012, 09:29 AM

problem is you cant fix stupid.

all the blame on bartenders and cops will not fix the problem.

the bartenders are just trying to make a buck and get by.

same with the cops. ride the cops butts and you will end up with apathetic cops. i know enough cops and they say their worst call is a domestic. when they show up both partners turn their rage on them. they have taken on the approach of not hurrying since then when they get there it will have sorted itself out.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:47 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4fl View Post
FL Dram Shop laws only cover sale to minors, and known addicts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area