Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:12 AM

287 posts, read 589,722 times

Advertisements

We like to live out of the box. And instead of driving to Siesta Key beach we thought hey why don't we get to our closest beach from Turtle Rock.

There is a Kayak Launch at the end of Wharf Rd.

We plan to Kayak to the rear of Turtles restaurant docks, have a bite and then proceed to Turtle Beach.

Has anybody done this route. And if so when crossing Little Sarasota Bay what do we need to look out for? - Alligators, wakes, etc?

We don't know what to expect, any good advice would be greatly appreciated.

How long would the kayak ride take?

Here's the map:

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 10:26 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
You might also consider Vamo Rd. There's a popular place there to launch a kayak and park. I've don that paddle while fishing and I don't recall it taking very long to get around there. Alligators won't be the problem. You have to watch for boats who won't watch for you and you have to be prepared for wakes if they come. Definitely wear your pfd and always have a whistle on a lanyard around your neck. Have fun but be careful.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 AM

I heard Little Sarasota Bay is closed off at a pass between Siesta and Casey keys and that fresh clean gulf water is not recirculating in that part of the bay. Are the fish "clean" for eating? If so what's the most sought after dinner fish to be caught there and with what - shrimp bait?

We may want to catch dinner on the way back from lunch at Turtles.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:01 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
You might find reds (redfish), snook, sheepies, trout...don't know. Shrimp is a good bait for almost anything. Use circle hooks and the fish will often hook themselves. If you are really interested in learning to fish, I suggest you do some reading at www.capmel.com. The water is OK, to my knowledge but it's been a while since I've been over there. Before you do fish, you need to have a license (you can get it online) and you need to know what you can keep. Some species have size restrictions and some are closed at certain tmes of the year. Check here: Licenses and Permits

Old 01-20-2012, 08:35 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
I've launched a kayak from just about everywhere from Bradenton down to Punta Gorda. I think we're going out of Turtle Beach tomorrow. Just keep an eye out for boats. You won't see any gators in the waters you're talking about traveling in. You might want to try the mangrove tunnels off of Lido. They are a cool place to start.

If you're looking for a close place to launch you might want to try out Spanish Point Pub in Osprey.

Make sure you have your life jacket and a noise making device AKA a whistle. The Marine Patrol will pop you if you don't.

As far as fishing goes, I usually use shrimp or green back shiners. Snook and redfish are my favorites. Snook season is closed through Aug of this year. Redfish have to be between 18"-27", there is no closed season and it's one fish per day per person. Sheepshead are decent fish. You generally find them more around the docks. They have a 12" size minimum, there is no closed season and there is a limit of 15 per day. Flounder are also pretty good eating. They have no season and there is a 10 per person per day limit. B got you hooked up with the permit info you need.

Good luck and maybe I'll see you out on the waters

Old 01-21-2012, 08:30 AM

Thank y'all!! Can't wait. We love flounder and hope to catch 10. The others we'll have to develop tastes for or one type might be surprisingly tastier than Flounder. We'll see. We'll grill them outdoors.

They are real good survival food in case of a food shortage. Another reason to live near edible waters.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:18 PM

Just launched off of turtle beach kayak launch. If you launch by there or anywhere close to osprey or nokomis you can check out the old mote shark tank or the hobo shack by Neville preserve. Were out on the water with two tandem kayaks and a paddleboard.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:25 PM

Such a Crocodile Dundee that SoFlGal. G'day mayte.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:53 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Just launched off of turtle beach kayak launch. If you launch by there or anywhere close to osprey or nokomis you can check out the old mote shark tank or the hobo shack by Neville preserve. Were out on the water with two tandem kayaks and a paddleboard.
Let me guess, paddleboard for Christmas!?!?!? Awesome!

Old 01-21-2012, 01:13 PM

Default i

Actually no. Willow traded a Xbox 360 for a nearly new atx sup with a paddle. I'm guessing about $1k in gear. Came from Craigslist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area