Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:19 PM

80 posts, read 184,793 times

Advertisements

NE boaters looking for quiet, very safe, canal front home--under $400 k We are on 5 acres here and understand we will not find that, but are used to no neighbors--- so quiet--and SAFE is most important. Don't want to be 2 miles from a crime zone. Interested possibly in The Inlets? any other areas we're missing????? Also, if not on a canal, but someone suggested Mira Lago because it's near Siesta Key beach.

LOOKING FOR GREAT VALUE, THAT WILL HOLD IN THE FUTURE.

If we can't be nearish the water, we could move to Arizona!

HELP PLEASE............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 03:19 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,778 times
i don't know... are there $400k waterfront properties in Arizona?

Old 01-22-2012, 08:55 AM

Default Sarcasm isn't nice

I've found many canal front properties in the sarasota?bradenton area under $400,000.

If i may repeat it, my question was---what are the safe areas?

Old 01-22-2012, 09:21 AM

535 posts, read 1,031,486 times
Have you looked at Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda? Lots of water front and salt water canals for under 300K And very safe also

Old 01-22-2012, 09:29 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
"Safe" is one of those words and concepts that is more abstract and relative than we might like to think. The best way, I think, for you to evaluate the different listings you are probably seeing online is to plug the address into a website like www.crimemapping.com which gives you results within a two mile radius from a particular address and an overall mapping of recent criminal activity across the area. Unfortunately, I suspect that you will find that crime happens all over and, while it usually doesn't interfere with daily life, it is also difficult to be fully immunized from its effects. Find a place you like, enjoy life, and deal with the occasional blows that come your way.

BTW, if you are working with an agent (or will be), your agent can use tools in the MLS that are not available to the public. For example, on the MLS, agents can search for listings that might have features such as no low bridges to open water, if the listing has a dock or davits, fresh water canals vs. saltwater, etc. I don't look at the public sites very often but I don't think they offer that level of searchability.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:48 AM

94 posts, read 178,353 times
Check in South Gulf Cove, in Port Charlotte. It is a bit far on land to shopping. But you can get to Charlotte Harbor from your house.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:57 PM

Default Canal front but safe areas?

Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda are a bit far from activity. We are in our 50's--want to be near shopping, theatre, etc. but because we will not be there all year--don't want to have to worry about theft, vandalism, and worse crimes...... We have a sailboat here, but think it will have to be a power boat to be on a canal. It's really just something to do, as we don't pay golf or tennis. Also, don't want ridiculous HOA's.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:17 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Port charlotte canals (some) have sailboat water (deep enough for one.). Port Charlotte has lots of shoppping..a real mall and all the restaurants and strip malls that are near the mall.

Not sure about theater and the arts...but I bet they are near there somewhere. Also Naples and Ft Myers are an hour or less south, and there are lots of additional upscale acitivies there. then you are approx 1 hr from Sarasota. But Port Charlotte is not in the boonies., You would be surpised how much is there and how busy. I don't know about Punta Gorda as far as shopping and theaters.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:40 PM

Default canal front but safe area?

We think we don't want to go any further south than the Palmer Ranch area----otherwide, it's too long a drive from Tampa each time we fly down.
Don't want to spend all our time in the car on a 3 or 4 day trip.......

Old 01-23-2012, 04:56 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goin south View Post
We think we don't want to go any further south than the Palmer Ranch area----otherwide, it's too long a drive from Tampa each time we fly down.
Don't want to spend all our time in the car on a 3 or 4 day trip.......
Sarasota airport is 25 min. to Port Charlotte. Punta Gorda has a nice little airport (ten minutes) and The airport in Ft. Meyers is only about 40 minutes....So airports abound other than Tampa, and always seem to have cheaper airfare than Tampa
!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area