Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:50 PM

17 posts, read 54,148 times

Advertisements

One item on our looooong "to do" list is to replace our wood fence with a wall. Since our yard backs up to a busy street, I am hoping to reduce traffic noise as much as possible.
The estimates from Permacast (2" in thick solid concrete), and The Wall People (4" dense foam with thick coating of stucco) are about the same. Any thoughts? Does a wall really make a noticeable difference in reducing noise? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 05:53 PM

518 posts, read 1,226,323 times
It does if it is tall enough and very long. Most sound walls go for blocks not just one house to really work. Its been a long time ago but my stepfather soundproofed my room when he built our house to block out my rock music. It really worked better than walls to cut noise. But that won't work for outdoor space.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:49 PM

Oh, right. I hadn't thought of that. The road noise doesn't just start at my property line, so i guess we'd be hearing it from further down even if we could magically soundproof our section. hmmmm...maybe a waterfall?

Old 02-05-2012, 10:28 AM

252 posts, read 766,914 times
I once had the same problem, but had only an irregular row of evergreen trees atop a small berm, not even a wood fence. I put up a long (300 ft.), 6 ft high wood fence in between the evergreens at the peak of the berm: the noise was reduced considerably, not to mention more visual privacy. well worth the investment.

As for upgrading from a wood fence to a concrete wall, not sure if you would find a significant reduction in traffic noise. you might do better putting in thick (dense) trees and other plants to absorb the noise, rather than trying to block it all out.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:54 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,552,891 times
Lots of postings on the internet about similar topics
this link might be interesting for you
Crazy Ideas To Block Traffic Noise From Yard/House

problem is what will your HOA (if there is one) allow and what will the city code allow?

Old 02-06-2012, 05:14 AM

I am allowed to go up to 8', which I had hoped would be enough - especially if we line the whole thing with areca palms or something similar. I really like the security and substantial feel of a wall, but without significant sound reduction, not sure if it is worth the cost.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:08 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,030,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaGSD View Post
I am allowed to go up to 8', which I had hoped would be enough - especially if we line the whole thing with areca palms or something similar. I really like the security and substantial feel of a wall, but without significant sound reduction, not sure if it is worth the cost.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Sound travels fast. It will bounce off a wall and travel upward (and in other directions. Sound also finds the path of least resistance - just like water, and wind effects the direction and intensity of sound as well. An effective wall needs to go quite a distance past your property line. The effective area behind a wall is in a cone shape starting at the corners and edges and running in a straight line to an intersecting point - that said, sound comes from all directions, so that is the most effective senario.

Bushes might be a good alternative because a wall may not look that good, and certain kinds of dense bushes do a pretty effective job. - Just a thought.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaGSD View Post
One item on our looooong "to do" list is to replace our wood fence with a wall. Since our yard backs up to a busy street, I am hoping to reduce traffic noise as much as possible.
The estimates from Permacast (2" in thick solid concrete), and The Wall People (4" dense foam with thick coating of stucco) are about the same. Any thoughts? Does a wall really make a noticeable difference in reducing noise? Thanks.
Hello,
I do not claim to be a sound expert. I am the proud owner of a foam wall done by "The Wall People" for five years, and to say the least it has preformed magnificently. True confessions I did in know way want a foam wall the idea sicken me I wanted concrete one so I was very excited to find perma cast when I went to expect their walls, horror doesn’t quite capture my feelings about their product, without going on to long the columns looking like sticks, the caps look like a Childs toy set , the proportions are ghastly and not that I’m a size freak but 2 inches thick! Are you kidding me!?
A friend took me to see a foam wall by the "The Wall People" where I met Ms Rachel Ross who took me through the process, solidified my decision the wall was proportional, Elegant and appropriately customized to my home. She also gave me a bid that was cheaper than the 2inch thick perma cast walls (! Please email me at SirPaxston@gmail.com any time and you can by and I will give you the info, Foam walls Rule Period. Please let me help you not have a horror wrap your houses because its concrete you can take a bat to a foam wall and they won’t break.
Thank You
Sir Chandler Paxston
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 03-13-2013, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,457 times
This last post was obviously written by some one I won't name and extremely ridiculous. Permacast uses 5,000 psi concrete min with rebar and structural fiber. It is the stongest wall on the market, aesthetically very popular and very affordable.

Paxton Craddock - not Sir Chandler Paxston
Permacast LLC

Old 03-14-2013, 07:16 AM

2 posts, read 4,457 times
By the way, I will proudly walk any customer through the Permacast process and invite them to tour the Permacast facility so they can observe how Permacast Concrete Fence Walls are manufactured.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 941-234-8879

Thank you.
Paxton Craddock
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area