Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:47 PM

109 posts, read 325,500 times

Advertisements

I have no new information but questioning this too. I moved to Fl from Indiana almost 20 years ago and flew my two cats down and the dog drove with me... Now I'm pretty sure I'm going to move from Florida to CA (2800 miles) and I have two dogs and two (kittens, almost cats). The dogs will be okay, just bored, I'm sure. It's the kittens I'm concerned with. They've only been in the car once since they came to live with me the end of August. They will be a year old in June. They were both rescues and one is still very skittish around people and strange things/noises. It's going to be a very long drive.
I know my sister did it from Indiana to Alaska and then from Alaska to CA but her cat was a travel pro...
I'm more worried about them than I am me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 01:52 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,992 times
you could definitely tranquilize them and they'll be mellow. no harm done.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:53 PM

129 posts, read 237,204 times
We drove from NY to FL in September, 1200 miles and split the trip in half. Three cats, 1 dog. Our Siamese cat meowed from NY to VA pretty much non-stop. She was fine, we were getting a bit crazy. She was better the second day.

Our carriers have a pad in the bottom, we wrapped it with a Chux (an incontinence pad, DH uses them for an oil leaking 76 Mini he has). We put old dish towels used as rags on top that. One cat peed in the first few hours, we pitched the towel and put another one on. We had a cat box in the car. We stopped at rest stops along the way and gave the cats time out in the fresh air while they still in their carriers and let them loose in the car to use the box, eat and drink. Be careful opening doors if you do this, know where the cats are before you open the door.

The cats were fine in the motel room, we let them run for a while then put them in their carriers while we went out to dinner. We didn't want to open the door to the room when we didn't know where they were and have them possibly run out.

They traveled very well and we are doing it again at the end of April, but with two cars this time. We are flipping a coin to see who the Siamese rides with.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:02 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
I loved this thread.

I have a client who has driven twice, round trip from Fl to AZ and back with his cat. It wasn't great but, it worked out. I would not put my pet in the care of an airline for any kind of money.....

Old 03-08-2013, 04:15 PM

109 posts, read 325,500 times
Thanks so much for your responses. One of my girls is a siamese mix and actually acts more like a ragdoll than a ""mutt" . The other is a calico and very, very skittish. I can finally walk up to her without her running from me. I worry about the hotel/motel thing with all of them, including the dogs... <sigh>
I'll check with my vet and see what they recommend.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:15 PM

103 posts, read 294,961 times
I just did this in January from Colorado---it was pure he** the first day as my cat was in a carrier and hated it!! I won't go into the details, but needless to say, after he broke out of the cage twice (he is a strong boy), I let him sit on my lap while I was driving the Budget truck and he behaved like an angel. Just try not to let them look out the window--the motion seems to bother them! This was a 3 day trip for him at about 12 hours/day. Hopefully, I never have to move long distance again, but have never regretted leaving Colorado for a moment.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:20 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Unicorn, my youngest, Prissy, was a five month old very skittish rescue when we moved to Florida. She did fine in the car and in the carrier.

I cannot stress enough do not let your cats sit in your lap. It's dangerous for them and for you. You need to get a new crate if your cat can escape.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:17 AM

288 posts, read 452,718 times
Done several cross county moves as well as overseas flights with my cats.
Flying can be done with in-cabin reservations (check with airline), traveling by car has it's challenge. My cats slept on the back seat with my daughter. On one occasion one of them stood on the automatic window button and the window rolled down (I thought it was my daughter and my first reaction wasn't a happy one ). Not sure about tranquilizers, heard different stories. Check pet friendly hotels ahead of time for stops on the way. Prepare a little sign to put on your hotel room door upon arrival for the maid to see before she opens the door, in case the cats sleep outside their kennel.
Good luck.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:22 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Following with great interest ... we'll be moving from CT to Florida in a few months with four cats. I was dreading it, but I feel a little better now that I've read that other cats survived just fine.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:33 AM

82 posts, read 156,893 times
I moved to Bradenton last summer from Ohio with one cat, it was about a thousand mile trip and I drove it in two days. The cat weights eleven pounds and the vet told me to give him half a 25 Mg benadryl tablet every eight hours while on the road. This worked fine, after about a half hour of whining and crying he went to sleep in his crate for the rest of the day. I also stayed at La Quinta Inns because you are allowed to have pets there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area