Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:02 PM

113 posts, read 222,477 times

Advertisements

I moved from CO to FL (3-day trip) last year with 2 cats. I got a carrier that they would both fit in, so they could chill together, and some tranquilizers from my vet. They each got 1 pill every morning, which was pretty well worn off by the time we got to the hotel each night. The first day, they were quite vocal about the whole situation, but calmed down after an hour or two (and once the drugs kicked in). I let them run free in the hotel rooms, which involved me literally prying one of them out from under a bed one morning.

Overall, it went well. I couldn't have done it without the kitty drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 10:56 AM

340 posts, read 492,273 times
Depends on the cats. If they are used to riding in your car its not a problem. We got a 2x2x2 cage put it in front of the car with a blanket and gave her a half dose of the tranq that the vet gave us. She slept most of the day and at night we took in the litter box and food and water. Every stop we let her get out in the litter box in the front of the car and get some water and food. By the end of the trip she was riding with us no drugs on top of the cage in the moving truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving with cats!-0328021007.jpg  

Old 03-12-2013, 08:57 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,007,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrow2 View Post
Depends on the cats. If they are used to riding in your car its not a problem. We got a 2x2x2 cage put it in front of the car with a blanket and gave her a half dose of the tranq that the vet gave us. She slept most of the day and at night we took in the litter box and food and water. Every stop we let her get out in the litter box in the front of the car and get some water and food. By the end of the trip she was riding with us no drugs on top of the cage in the moving truck.

I'm glad this turned out okay for you but this is very dangerous for the cat. The first time someone pulls out in front of you and you slam on your breaks, your pet is slammed into the windshield.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:33 AM

109 posts, read 324,282 times
My biggest question now is, how do they use the litter box during the day if they are in a crate? My kittens have been in the car once in the last 6 months and that was to go to the vet....
I have two dog crates and one is big enough for both of them but I don't think a litter box will fit, too. I have doggie car seats for the dogs.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:56 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,007,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn1209 View Post
My biggest question now is, how do they use the litter box during the day if they are in a crate? My kittens have been in the car once in the last 6 months and that was to go to the vet....
I have two dog crates and one is big enough for both of them but I don't think a litter box will fit, too. I have doggie car seats for the dogs.
They will hold it or if they have to go bad enough, they will go in the crate.

For that reason I always put plenty of old, throw away towels in the crate. Only once has any of my cats gone in the crate. If the crate is large enough, you can put a small, shallow pan with a little kitty litter in it and they will use that.

If the trip is too long, I'll stop at a rest stop, keep the car doors shut and locked, and let the cat out of the carrier and put him/her in the litter box. Believe me, if they have to go they will. I don't move the car until they are back in the crate.

This may sound extreme to some of you but I'd be broken if anything happened to one of my kitties.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:22 PM

19 posts, read 47,678 times
Hi everyone, I originally started this thread a year ago and have since relocated from Ohio to Sarasota.

We moved with our two cats (1.5 years old, 1 year old at time of move) and it was fine.We had one large carrier that was big enough for both of them and we had a smaller carrier in case we needed to separate them. We started them out separate, but ended up putting them together and it seemed to calm them down. We did not use any drugs as our vet (and we consulted with another vet) both said to avoid the drugs, because your pets can run into dehydration problems and other side effects when travelling. We had a tupperware full of water that they drank and some food, but they didn't eat.

The drive was 20 hours and we drove 15 the first day. Whichever one of us was in the passenger seat took each cat out once or twice and held it on our lap so it could get out of the crate, but we didn't let them out for more than 30 minutes or to run on their own in the car. They didn't use the litter box at all until we stopped in a hotel in GA after a full day of driving.

They liked getting out in the hotel, used the litter box, and ate. It wasn't a big deal for us.

Good luck to you future travelers.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:45 AM

113 posts, read 222,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn1209 View Post
Mine held it through the driving each day. They were pretty freaked out by the whole experience, and barely ate through the three-day trip, so there wasn't much that needed to come out anyway.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:11 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times
we will be making the long car trip in July from Dallas to Nokomis...just on miles it is over 18 hrs so with stops it is too long to do in one day---
we need to get a new cat carrier --ours now is just big enough to take our big cat back and forth to the vet but not large enough to be comfortable for such a long trip...
I measured him tonight
He is 19 inches from his nose to the base of his tail and 17-18 inched from top of his head to the floor...
he can also curl himself up to fit inside a basket in my bathroom that is probably 8 inches in diameter...so he is flexible but we want him to be comfortable enough to move around inside...
don't think we want a crate large enough to hold his litter pan too...

for those of you who make long trips with your cats how big a carrier/crate should we get for him...

we will be driving an Enclave and probably put the third seat down flat and have his carrier right behind the second row of captain chairs....I am sitting in one of them with our dog in travel harness on floor in her bed...
dog hasn't been in crate since she learned to potty outside and don't think she would take to being in crate for trip like this...
We have her crate from that in attic and probably could use it for cat but it is not easy to carry in/out of motel...and we will spend at least one night on the road on this trip
hope we don't have to spend more than one...

suggestions for what size and brand--
have been looking on Amazon
the PetSmarts in our area don't carry lot of medium to large carriers --either crates or small plastic carriers-
we aren't doing a soft side for the cat...

Old 06-19-2013, 08:12 PM

5,106 posts, read 4,869,171 times
We do the trip from Baltimore to Port Charlotte, a distance of around 1200 miles, several times a year with our three cats. We have a large dog crate in which we put a top shelf in the back half. A small litter box sits in the bottom rear corner. Usually the two males sit/sleep on the upper, carpeted shelf and the female rides in the bottom.

On the first trip, the little girl cat copped a major attitude whenever one of the guys would come down. She would hiss and swat at them. Normally she's the little angle, but not when traveling! We were prepared, having a sedative from the vet. We gave her a half dose and peace prevailed the remainder of the trip. Now we medicate her at the beginning of a trip, heading trouble off at the pass.

We drive straight through, an 18 hour trip with stops. Every fuel stop we give them water and food, if they want it. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Mostly they just sleep. We've also found it helps to cover the cage with a dark sheet although we leave the front uncovered and direct a vent towards the cage. Having a small SUV (Honda CRV) allows the cage to fit at an angle, allowing access to the door for our stops. Unfortunately, it doesn't leave much room inside for much else!

Old 06-22-2013, 01:40 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times
FYI--when we moved from Houston to Shreveport we had a cat who was let out in the house before the moving truck arrived the next day
put him in one of the bathrooms with litter box in the tub and put big sign on door not to open
we went in next day to check on him and he was not there--didn't know what happened to him...
movers came and we were looking for the cat to no avail...
a day or two AFTER we moved in we heard meow, meow from the cabinet under sink in that bathroom...
cat was in there...apparently had been in there whole time..and nothing to show for bathroom use
so I think a scared cat can hold it a long time...
probably not good for him/her to do that...but not really worried that he will HAVE to go to litter box during the drive time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area