U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:44 AM

4 posts, read 8,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle540i View Post
I am so glad it has worked out for your cousin. Good Luck to him and his familly. I too have notice a preponderance of "doom & gloom" and naysayers. Glad to hear of a good experience they are few and far between on this board. To hear most folks tell it we will soon be paying people to buy our houses.

Truly- Thank You
It is doom and gloom when you (and your husband) have worked all our lives, have professional degrees from major universities, and are looking at potential homelessness. We are highly educated, good, down-to-earth people who are destitute due to this economy and the housing market. So, if we get to the point of people paying for our house before we have to foreclose and live in a shelter, PLEASE let me know !!
Rate this post positively

Old 10-11-2007, 07:48 AM

Default Amen !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Congrats to your cousin.
Regardless of whether your cousin found a house, and a job, those of us who have lived in this area for a long time, know of the not so nice changes to our area. And as you would call it, "Doom and Gloom" I call it the perspective of a long time resident who has seen the best and worst of this area.
Give your cousin a while, the honeymoon period always ends.
I have responded to both of these individuals. I, too have been in the area and had the unfortunate experience of feeling the doom and gloom as my family has suffered through collection calls, threats of foreclosure, and, deciding between prescriptions and food for my children. As I told them, My husband and I both have college degrees from major universities, and yet, we are in the same situation as those that never made it out of high school. Kind of makes you wonder. Good luck to you through the 'doom and gloom'.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:51 AM

Default You have said it all !!! Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
It's not that jobs are impossible to find in FL...it's the TYPE of jobs in SW FL that many on here question. No one has said it can't be done....most warn people of the risk of moving to SW FL. It is an unnecessary risk in many people's minds who have lived here for longer than a few weeks & seen what has happened in a matter of 3-4 years & see what damage it has done. We've have not been here that long, but in the time we have, there have been sharp, serious issues that concern us for any age group.

I hope he is getting full health insurance that covers at least 80% & with a reasonable deductible. I hope he is getting some sort of 401K. Is it a contractual job or at-will job? And hopefully he is debt free.

Bet he did get a great deal on home. With over 50,000 homes for sale from Sarasota County to Collier County....there's lots of inventory....

There is a reasonable argument going on with many on this board about the economy, educational system, & housing issue in SW FL. There is a realty to it.

Maybe I am not enough of a risk taker, but I would never buy a home without a job & would never think of using my 401k unless it was life & death circumstances.

Best of luck to your cousin. Glad he is happy.
Thank you for helping those who don't, see the light...... of REALITY !!!!!

Old 10-13-2007, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,199 times
Cool Tired of Driving

Yeah, you can get a job in Venice if you want to work at a major "chain" and since they plan on building more, then you can really count on us not having any small businesses around here to get a job. Minimum wage, part-time, without benefits is what is available. They know they can get the people because everyone is desparate and they can also count on the old folks around here to still work into their 70s-80s because that is the only way to keep a roof over their head. I have had to drive 50 miles a day minimum to get to and from work because if I want to live here (where my family lives) I have to work along with my husband and we can barely keep a roof over our head and afford to keep our one kid in food, clothing and pre-school. The options are just not there and it's only getting worse.

You think the job market is bad, the drugs and alcohol abuse around here is even worse. Just check the daily postings of those being arrested. Also, no one here has metioned the state of those living in North Port. Talk about problems... check out that area.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:02 AM

4,842 posts, read 13,227,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeebrainard View Post
It does seem he made it look easy. I have a Masters Degree from the University of Michigan, my husband has a Bachelors Degree from Ferris State University. We are good people, and have never lived wildly extravagantly. Yet, due to the market as it is...my husband was laid off (he is a builder/project manager in the construction industry). He has been out of work for 8 months. He has submitted no less than 50 resumes in ALL of the state of Florida for ANYTHING he can do. This includes working at Home Depot, Publix, etc. NOTHING. The other builders in the area that owe us money has said...too bad, and refused to pay us. We are looking at foreclosure on our home, we can not at times afford groceries, our electric bill, we have had our phone shut off, etc. Should two degree'd professionals, who have always worked and made good decisions with their money be in this situation ?????? My daughter would say not and asks daily why our lives are like this. Yes !!!! It is that bad !!!!!!!!!!
I hate to say this but college degrees in FL don't mean it's easy to find a good job, these are bad times and we have just begun to see the fallout from creative mortgaging. The building industry, obviously is affected first, but from there, it will trickle down to all businesses.

Just because you're two degreed professionals doesn't mean you can't find yourself homeless...it's been affecting everyone across the board down here. The economy doesn't discriminate.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:39 PM

29 posts, read 53,830 times
Default It's all in our outlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Congrats to your cousin.
Regardless of whether your cousin found a house, and a job, those of us who have lived in this area for a long time, know of the not so nice changes to our area. And as you would call it, "Doom and Gloom" I call it the perspective of a long time resident who has seen the best and worst of this area.
Give your cousin a while, the honeymoon period always ends.

I agree that for those of us here for a while, the recent housing downturn has made things a little gloomy as many have lost jobs that were employed in the real estate market. My daughter was one.

We are however blessed with weather that, here in November, could only be classed as almost perfect.

The retail marketplace is a little tough right now as evidenced by the number of businesses that have gone out of business as the summer wore on.

We've had our ups and downs in almost 24 years here so we'll be back on top soon.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:39 AM

100 posts, read 407,117 times
Well imho you should never touch your 401 unless there our health issues. I hope it all works out for the best for them Aimee a real sad story.A real shame hope things get better for you dear. I am at this point renting a house I will rent forever than over pay on a house . The sad thing is people just keep paying to much and now there in big trouble. Houses could not keep going up forever like that .the income didn't match this whole thing is a mess and a really shame .imho

Old 11-08-2007, 10:20 AM

99 posts, read 393,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylvk View Post
I agree that for those of us here for a while, the recent housing downturn has made things a little gloomy as many have lost jobs that were employed in the real estate market. My daughter was one.

We are however blessed with weather that, here in November, could only be classed as almost perfect.

The retail marketplace is a little tough right now as evidenced by the number of businesses that have gone out of business as the summer wore on.

We've had our ups and downs in almost 24 years here so we'll be back on top soon.
To that I'll also add "it's all relative". I am sure the changes for long-time area residents are enormous, most of them happening in recent years. I can also see how it might well be a difficult adjustment for many, but things still look pretty decent from our viewpoint.

However, coming from North Jersey, the housing prices are still much less (and were less even at the peak), the SWFL weather (for us) is better, utility costs are less, taxes are less (property taxes in some areas have nearly caught up, but NJ also has a 7% sales tax plus an income tax topping out at nearly 9%), labor costs are less, clothing needs (thus costs) are less, car insurance is less, cable costs are slightly less, food costs are about equal overall, there's more open land, less traffic (your in-season traffic is equal to our everyday traffic), similar shopping and (regular) entertainment & dining, more "destination" entertainment within driving distances and beach & outdoor recreation seasons are longer. Fl also has homesteading and some property tax protection for all, not just near-poverty seniors. Gas prices are a couple of pennies more (but we sit in less traffic in Fl), and people complain about the quality of medical care, but we had much better care in Fl when my dad was ill than in NJ, and my sister traveled to Fl to be treated at a top cancer center. Our homeowners insurance is approx $150 more for a similarly priced home. Personally, we are at an age that living in a gated community is a welcome option, trading some choices for less responsibilities and chores. (Must admit, I never thought I'd say that, but it is true nevertheless.)

Would I have preferred to buy 8-10 years ago, when I started trying to convince my DH? Of course, but it didn't happen. I agree with darrylvk in that I believe the pendulum will swing back again economically, so I think in the end we will be satisfied with the fact that we finally made the choice that we did.

As to those that seem so patently unhappy, I say cut your losses and go - the extra loss you take by leaving now instead of years from now will pay dividends in years of more happiness and less stress...something that has great value of its own, more than $$ can ever buy.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:14 PM

205 posts, read 943,608 times
Exactly....by the way, a family can not afford to live in FL on $12/hour paying a mortgage, property taxes, insurance.... There is NO way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
This is what people don't understand - there definitely IS a HONEYMOON PERIOD. This wears off in different amounts of time for different people. Let's have a report back in say, a year.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:29 AM

9 posts, read 29,696 times
I'm another one of the degreed individuals (single-parent to boot) facing the deplorable job scene in Venice and the surrounding cities. I have many years (13.5 at one company, shows stability, right?) of business experience, customer service, financial services (but, not banking...eeooow), and many other admin assistance/executive assistance type of skills. I've had many interviews and most of the recruiters/companies (reputable) don't even bother giving you the consideration of letting you know whether they will/will not offer you a job. They just ignore you and don't return your phone calls. Not that I'm pestering them, but I would like an answer. I've learned that you don't ever tell them you have kids or need to make arrangements at least a day in advance. I'm looking for FT work, but will take temp work also. Temp agencies are useless although I've heard others having success. I applied for a temp govt. job yesterday and made the mistake of mentioning that I was also looking for FT work. Right away, red flag. She didn't want to pursue anything because if they took the time to train me, I might leave in 4 weeks for the full time job I really need. So, I was screwed. I then had the revelation, if I'm trying to get a measly $10-12 per hr. job (I feel so devalued here in paradise!!) I thought I might as well get it in Venice and not have the commute to Sarasota, given the gas situation. Then, I started thinking about the other jobs I've applied for and wonder why I'm not getting offers. I'm playing the game...believe me. Sending all the thank-you's, being polite, dressing professionally, practicing all the behavioral, etc. questions an interviewer might ask. I know how the game is played. Been at it for a YEAR now. Done plenty of research on this subject and have 20-30 versions of my resume out in the world. I thought maybe there is some discrimination going on. Can't prove it....but, I am from out of state, I've been (unsuccessfully, though they don't know it) self employed (therefore a 2 year gap...going to Hell for that one), and am a graduate/former resident of a state known for its Mormonism (though I'm not LDS and escaped unscathed). Maybe FL employers deep down want to extend jobs to FL natives (or look like natives). I can't fake where I obtained my education or where I've lived since every job I apply to does the standard background and credit checks. Speaking of credit, mine is perfect and within 30 days or so I'll be forced to file for bankruptcy. I'm working on feeling unattached to my stuff that I've accumulated for the last 30 years or so. My 7 year old is terrified that we'll be on the street and that her childhood is going to be this horrible thing. I think I can feel the resentment building in her. Her school is great and provides all the "additional help and services" she needs. Even with a bankruptcy, I will have to somehow "coordinate" 2, maybe 3 jobs to make ends meet. Some places (Lowe's) flat out tell me I can't apply because I'm not "flexible enough." I've had to apply for help because I know we're going to need it. I've depleted all of my retirement assets and am in debt up to my eyeballs. We are not living high on the hog by any means. Now, why does someone with my education and background have to go through this garbage? I want to be able to keep my house because I know the market will come back around someday. In this current market, I can't even dream of getting a buyer because of the inventory already for sale. And, to be upside down in a house purchased 1.5 years ago, well, it's sickening. I'm painting a spare bedroom in hopes of maybe obtaining a roommate. But, I'm strict and have a child. I can't be taking in a partier. A serious student or traveling flight attendant, maybe!! Sorry to dump here, but I'm open to any ideas. Maybe there might be some I've not heard before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area