Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 05:07 PM

857 posts, read 2,216,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatheraurelia View Post
Is there any good apartments and/or places to lease in this area? Me and my partner are moving in four months and want to plan ahead before we make the big move to Florida from Maine.

Now,I know this is a joke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 06:36 PM

398 posts, read 822,275 times
WHOA It's no wonder the original poster never posted again.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:11 AM

67 posts, read 159,446 times
Actually, there still is a market and I agree w/ FLSnowbirds...don't want to put yourself out there for this bunch...

Old 02-10-2012, 04:36 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccright View Post
Actually, there still is a market and I agree w/ FLSnowbirds...don't want to put yourself out there for this bunch...
I don't feel that any of the responses were particularly rude, really.

I think the original post was so absolutely illogical that it could only expect the response it got.

I mean, if I come here and say that I have decided to move to San Francisco and open a conservative-themed all-VHS film store, I expect I will be met with some brief yet pointed replies.

1. Actual books are being gotten rid of, not purchased.
2. Sarasota is a seasonal market. A book store would need to virtually close for four months out of the year.

I would suggest mapping all of the Starbuck's in Sarasota, finding a small Starbuck's-less pocket, hiring a barista or two, and opening a bookcase-lined cafe, complete with comfy chairs and local art on the walls. Sell some coffee and scones. Let people steal the books.

But even this seems ill-advised.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:28 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,678,432 times
Too many people come onto the forum wanting validation for their life's decisions. What they get many times is the cold, hard, honest truth. Then people get huffy about it...

Sorry, but I'd rather have the truth than a sugarcoating if I'm about to set myself up for a huge disappointment or potentially ruin myself financially. This advice IS being nice by the members here on the forum to people asking the questions.

On a side note, sometimes people come on here with questions such as "So, how are the schools?" or "How is the job market?" This question has been answered & discussed countless times here. I just wish people would sometimes do a little searching for info before making the regular posters here answer the same question for the 20th time. That's what the search function is for

Old 02-10-2012, 05:58 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
I find it odd that bookstores are closing. I actually buy a lot of books and don't like the Nook/Kindle thing. I'd rather turn pages.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:30 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,678,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I find it odd that bookstores are closing. I actually buy a lot of books and don't like the Nook/Kindle thing. I'd rather turn pages.
I like reading actual books too. But sadly, I agree, they are going the way of handwritten thank you notes & personal letters. Technology- love it or hate it....

Old 02-10-2012, 06:51 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I still believe there is a market for smaller NICHE type bookstores - there are a few of those here and thriving. Some examples are like what Rushmore suggested, a combo newstand/bookstore/cafe, there is a children's bookstore, a couple used bookstores, and I have a friend on Main Street with a sort of antiquarian bookstore (Parker's) who has been there for DECADES and is thriving. A good, cheap location for this venture would actually be the north trail where all the colleges are - there are some great opportunities for businesses there right now. College kids love that sort of thing.

So, the OP should really provide more info as to what they are planning, and maybe they could get better answers. When people don't provide enough info, the answering posts tend to be more curt in nature, which is understandable.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:14 AM

782 posts, read 1,086,974 times
I truly hope that bookstores do NOT become obsolete like some believe. I spend a lot of time in them. The Barnes and Noble near me is always crowded.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:18 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,074 times
I also am a book person ,however as i tend to read up to 3 a week the local library is my bookstore....I am now up to C.

have to say this doesnt sound like the best thought out business plan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area