Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:24 AM

477 posts, read 983,196 times

Advertisements

I've been checking to see if some of our favorite places here in Ohio are also in Sarasota.

Target? check...

Whole Foods? check...

Farmer's markets? check...

Panera? check....

Chipotle? check....(that could have been a deal breaker for dh)

Trader Joe's? Nope....oh dear. That will take some adjusting to. LOL! The furthest one is in Atlanta, so maybe they are slowly making their way down?

Any locals hear about a Trader Joe's coming in the future? Looks like family and friends who come to visit us are going to have to make a trip to TJ's for me on the way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 10:31 AM

17,454 posts, read 38,838,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachymom View Post
I've been checking to see if some of our favorite places here in Ohio are also in Sarasota.

Target? check...

Whole Foods? check...

Farmer's markets? check...

Panera? check....

Chipotle? check....(that could have been a deal breaker for dh)

Trader Joe's? Nope....oh dear. That will take some adjusting to. LOL! The furthest one is in Atlanta, so maybe they are slowly making their way down?

Any locals hear about a Trader Joe's coming in the future? Looks like family and friends who come to visit us are going to have to make a trip to TJ's for me on the way!
Florida does not have any Trader Joe's - it is strictly a distribution problem. I have heard rumours that they are looking, and may eventually open somewhere in Florida. Their sister company, Aldi, is aggressively expanding in Florida, and have said that Florida has been very good to them, so maybe in the future.

In the meantime, honestly, we have such GREAT shopping here, I don't think you will miss them too much. Plus, we have a lot of great independent stores and bakeries, gourmet stores and the best discount stores. I recently started shopping at the SuperTarget on University/Cattlemen and it has a fabulous grocery selection at great prices. And we have "Fresh Market" too, right around the corner from Target. I am soooooooooo spoiled here!

Old 04-11-2010, 11:06 AM

Sounds heavenly!! I love independent shops. I'm quite the foodie!

And SuperTarget?? I've been dying to shop in one of those....Yay!!

Thanks, gypsychic!

Old 04-11-2010, 09:34 PM

462 posts, read 1,700,637 times
How funny, I had the same concern. I will have to go through TJ withdrawal when I get there. There are some things you just can't get anywhere else...I'm going to have to buy a case of the green curry simmer sauce so i won't collapse into a comatose heap from withdrawal lol.

But with that said, I can't wait to get there....

Old 04-12-2010, 12:20 PM

That curry sauce is too good! I also can't live without the mango chutney and the corn and chile salsa. Both are SO great on fresh fish...I'll be loading up on everything canned and jarred. I will deeply miss my frozen favorites, but I'm so sure I will find a great replacement. I think we'll be able to handle it. lol!

Old 04-12-2010, 05:01 PM

879 posts, read 1,944,664 times
mmm mmm, i'm having a chipotle veggie burrito right now!! i was excited when i saw they had it in sarasota too lol

Old 04-13-2010, 04:03 PM

151 posts, read 557,348 times
We love Trader Joe's up here in Washington as well and it does suck that they are not in Florida but I visited a Whole Foods while I was down there and it was pretty comparable. Great atmosphere.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:10 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,641,659 times
idk what i would do without chipoltle. I'm thankful we have them all over florida.

Aldis are opening up all over the state and since they are related to trader joes and since albertsons are closing, maybe trader joes will start to opening up.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:46 PM

385 posts, read 1,153,972 times
Miss my TJ's went into real withdrawal. Whole foods is great and I like their fresh prepared foods but does not even compare to TJ's because they are sooo different. I loved the TJ's private label frozen prepared foods and sauces. Miss them. You'll be fine here though, we have so many different places to shop you will love it.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,567 times
Trader Joes is opening in Naples in December...and in Sarasota fall 2012! I even called the company to confirm...but it isnt on the site yet...but its a definite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area