Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 16,699 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (we are almost 40 years old) have 2 small children. We can live anywhere we want because of our job set ups, and have settled on Sarasota. I know there are negatives to living there, but we want to be in Florida since our families live in the Orlando area, and we don't want to go back to cold winters.

We will initially rent until we can find the right place for us. In the meantime, can I get advice on where to start? I am mainly concerned about living near excellent schools (public or private) since one of my children will be starting kindergarten in 2013 and my other child will start preschool next year. Any suggestions for excellent preschools or K-5 or k-8 programs?
If nothing else, this is the information I need most, as I will base our move on going to where good schools are located.

I am not fussy about the kind of house I rent...I primarily care about living in an area where my children can receive a good education, then come home to a relatively safe neighborhood with some young families. I am open to living in Sarasota or anywhere around it, but the closer to the ocean the better, as we do spend a lot of time at the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 11:03 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,824,018 times
Sarasota county has one of the best school systems in the state of Florida. It also has Pine View School for the Gifted, which was ranked the top school in Florida and one of the top schools in the Nation. It is a public school and the requirements are that you live in Sarasota county, have an IQ of 130 or more, pass the achievement tests required and have teacher recommendations. I have a child who attends PV. It's a great school but it's not for every kid. It services grades 2nd-12th. Here's some more info on that subject:
Welcome to Pine View School
Pine View School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Public Elites - Newsweek.com
Pine View wraps up perfect Olympics | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader
America's Best High Schools: Gold Medal List - US News and World Report

There are many other fantastic schools in Sarasota and Manatee county's Here's a website where you can see how the schools are rated:
School Accountability Report...
or www.GreatSchools.com

Here are the school districts by zone: http://www.sarasotacountyschools.net...lrp/zones.aspx

Southside services most of the downtown area south of Main St. North of Main would be mostly Booker school district. The Palmer Ranch area is mostly Ashton school district. There are other schools in the area but these are ones that I have either had personal experience with or I have friends that have kids in the schools.

Sarasota ranks as one of the top districts in the state by a number of measures, including test scores, graduation rates and teacher compensation.

It offers distinctive programs tailored to different student needs, including Florida's only school for the gifted, the state's largest special needs school and one of a handful of career-focused high schools.

Alright, if I were checking out schools other than Pine View these are the schools that I would look into, in order. This is also the order they fall in if you look at the stats on the state of FL.

I'll throw some zip codes in as well to use for a general guideline but make sure you double check them with the map provided and the local school board as the map/zip codes may change slightly if they add a new school.

I'm going to also include a few neighborhoods within each zip code. Keep in mind that there are many other communities in each zip code worth checking out. I'm just trying to give you a starting point. Also if the community is very large it might encompass two or three different schools.

Please use this website when searching for properties: www.myfloridahomesmls.com It's the most up to date website.

If you're looking into private schools you might want to check out Out of Door Academy or New Gate. Both have a good reputation in the community.

Sarasota County Schools

For Elementary
Southside Elementary (34228, 34236, 34239, 34242)
Most of the downtown Sarasota condos, the condos/homes on the south end of Longboat Key, Bay Isles, Bird Key, Bungalow Hill, Cherokee Park, County Club Shores, Granada, Harbor Acres, Lido Key, McClellan Park, Poinsettia Park, St Armand's, some of Southgate.

Venice Elementary (34285, 34292, 34293)
The island of Venice, Bellagio on Venice Island, Lakes of Jacaranda, Pinebrook, South Venice, Venice Acres

Ashton Elementary (34233, 34238)-The Palmer Ranch communities(Arielle, Botanica, The Hamptons, Turtle Rock, Serenade, Stonebridge, Village Walk, Wellington Chase), Center Gate Estates, Colonial Oaks, Emerald Gardens, Grove Point, Three Oaks

Cranberry Elementary (North Port)
-(34286, a certain section)

Taylor Ranch (southern Sarasota county)-(34292, 34293)-Governors Green, Gulf View Estates, Blue Heron Pond, Lakes of Jacaranda, Myakka River Trails, Park Estates, Pelican Pointe Golf & County Club, The Plantation, Pennington Place, South Venice, Stoneybrook at Venice, Venice Golf & County Club, Southwood, Woodmere Lakes

Lakeview Elementary (34241)-Bent Tree, Country Creek, East Lake, Forest at Hi Hat Ranch, Founders Club, Foxfire, Gator Creek, Heritage Oaks Golf & Country Club, Lake Sarasota, Misty Creek, Myakka Valley Ranches, Preserve at Heron Lake, Red Hawk Reserve, Saddle Creek, Secluded Oaks, Serenoa, Trillium, Tuscana

Gulf Gate Elementary (34231, 34238)-Palmer Ranch communities-(Country Club of Sarasota, Deer Creek, Prestancia,
Marabella, Mira Lago, Palisades), Beneva Oaks, Coral Cove, Gulf Gate, Southpointe Shores,

Laurel Nokomis Elementary (mid Sarasota county)-(34229, 34275)-Bay Point, Calusa Lakes, Casey Key, Huntington Pointe, Isles of Sarasota, Laurel Pines, Laurel Woodlands, Mission Valley Estates, The Oaks, Park Trace Estates, Rivendell, Sawgrass, Shakett Creek, Silver Oak, Sorrento East, Sorrento Shores, Sorrento South, Sorrento Woods, South Creek, Southbay Yacht & Racquet Club, Stoneybrook at Palmer Ranch, Venetian Golf & River Club, Waterfront Estates, Willow Chase, Willowbend, Willowbrook

Tatum Ridge Elementary (34240)
-Barton Farms, Colonial Oaks, Deer Hammock, Founders Club, The Hammocks, Laurel Lakes, Laurel Meadows, Laurel Oak Estates, Oak Ford Golf Club, The Paddocks, Palmer Farms, Palmer Glen, Sarasota Golf Club, Sarasota Polo Club, Shadow Oaks, Summerwood, Tatum Ridge, Villages at Pine Tree-(Marsh, Ponderosa, Spruce Pine)
Garden Elementary(34285, 34292, 34293)

Phillipi Shores(34231, 34242)-Aqualane Estates, Bay Island, Florence, Hansens, Harmony, Hidden Harbor, The Landings, Mira Mar, much of Siesta Key, Oyster Bay Estates, Phillipi Cove, Philipi Gardens, Pine Shores, Point Crisp, Princess Gate, Ridge Wood, Sanderling Club, Sandy Hook, Sarasota Beach, Siesta Cove, Siesta Estates, Siesta Isles, Siesta Bayside, Tortoise Estates

Fruitville Elementary(34232)-Hidden Oaks, Nottingham, Sherwood Estates, Sherwood Forest, Woodland Park

Englewood Elementary (southern Sarasota county)(34223)-Artist Acres, Bay Vista, Boca Royale, Deer Creek, Eden Harbor, Englewood Farm Acres, Englewood Gardens, Englewood Isles, Englewood Pines, Manasota Gardens, Manasota Key, Overbrook Gardens, Stillwater

For Middle
Sarasota Middle (34231-34242)

High School
Riverview(34231-34242)

Manatee county Schools

Elementary Schools
Robert Willis Elementary(34201, 34202)-Carlyle at the Villages of Palm Aire, Country Club East at Lakewood Ranch, Edgewater Village, Lake Club, Lakewood Ranch, Lakewood Ranch Country Club, Long Pond at Mote Ranch, Mote Ranch, Panther Ridge, Preserve at Panther Ridge, River Park at Mote Ranch, Riverwalk Ridge Cypress Banks, University Park

Gene Witt Elementary(34212)-Country Creek, Country Meadows, Foxbrook, Greyhawk Landing, Hidden Oaks, Mill Creek, Rye Wilderness,

Gilbert W McNeal Elementary(34202)-Concession, Greenbrook Village, Lakewood Ranch, Summerfield Village

Braden River Elementary(34202, 34211)-Braden Pines, Braden Woods, Oakbrooke at River Club, River Club North & South, Rosedale, Summerfield Village

BD Gullett Elementary(34211, 34212)-Central Park at Lakewood Ranch, Greyhawk Landing, Panther Ridge

Ida M Stewart Elementary(34209)-Perico Isles, Pinehurst, Riverview Landings, Shaws Point, Wisteria Park, Woodlands Park on Palma Sola Bay

Anna Maria Elementary(34216, 34217, 34228)-Anna Maria Island, Bay Palms, Bimini Bay Estates, Cortez, Emerald Harbor, Holmes Beach, Ilexhurst, Key Royale, Long Beach, Longboat Key, Shore Acres, Sleepy Lagoon, Wells Bay Harbor

Virgil Mills Elementary(34219, 34221, 34222)-Ancient Oaks, Copperstone, Covered Bridge, Fairways at Imperial Lakewoods, Fosters Creek, Heather Glen, Kingsfield Lakes, Lexington, Waterford, Whitney Meadows, Woodlawn Lakes

Kinnan Elementary(34243)-Carlyle at the Villages of Palm Aire, Country Oaks, Desoto Lakes Country Club, Glenbrooke, Mote Ranch, Palm Aire, Palm Lakes, Quail Run, University Groves, Rio Mar, Trails, Treymore at Village of Palm Aire, Vintage Creek

Freedom Elementary(34212)-Gates Creek, Greenfield Plantation, Heritage Harbour, Lighthouse Cove at Heritage Harbor, Old Grove at Greenfield, Planters Manor at Greenfield, River Strand, Stoneybrook at Heritage Harbor, Waterlefe Golf & River Club

Tara Elementary(34212)-Barrington Ridge, Braden Crossing, Creekwood, Manatee Oaks, Mandalay, River Landings Bluffs, River Place, Rivers Edge, Silver Lake, Tailfeather Way at Tara, Tara, Tara Preserve, Wallingford, Water Oak

Middle School
Carlos E Halie Middle(34208-34212)

Braden River Middle(32401-34243)

Nolan Middle(34202, 34211, 34251)

King Middle(34209, 34216, 34217, 34228)

High School
Lakewood Ranch High(34202, 34211, 34212, 34251)

Manatee High(34205-34209, 34216, 34217, 34228)

Alternative School
Manatee School for Arts and Sciences

Old 02-20-2012, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 16,586 times
Default Places to settle in Sarasota County and schools

North Port is a growing city with very good schools. Glen Allen grade school is excellent. This school is located on Price Boulevard. There is also a middle school and the high school on the same street. There is a new community gym on Price right next to the middle school. The equipment is awesome and the membership is only 20 per month. They sell family memberships also. North Port houses are quite affordable and North Port is only about 20 minutes away from beaches. People with children who do have to commute to work have a half hour to 45 minute commute to either Sarasota or to Fort Myers. I hope that helps.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:39 PM

4,565 posts, read 7,429,209 times
First, welcome to Sarasota. Sarasota has a lot to offer as it is the largest metro area between Tampa and Naples, has excellent beaches, cultural activities and great schools.

A couple of weeks ago the Florida Department of Education released the rankings of all of the state's 3078 schools, which includes both public and charter, based mainly on FCAT scores.

Elementary & middle school rankings also included factors such as whether schools helped struggling students progress. High School rankings also included graduation rates & how many students passed college level courses such as Advanced Placement.

The highest ranked elementary school in Sarasota county is Fruitville Elementary at #91, beating out Southside at #105 and Bay Haven at #114. I was surprised to see that Brentwood Elementary dropped from an A rated school to a B. Brentwood and Emma Booker were the only Sarasota county elementary schools not receiving a grade of A.

As to middle schools, the Sarasota School of Arts & Science was the highest ranked at #12 with Sarasota Middle School close behind at #16. Booker Middle School did raise their grade from a C in 2010 to a B in 2011.

Of the high schools, none received an A rating, all were rated B, with Sarasota High receiving the highest ranking at #119. Riverview High, which has a reputation of being the best high school in Sarasota, came in at #161 with Venice High at #176 and North Port High at #257.

Of the combination schools (elementary, middle & elements of high), Pine View in Sarasota, known for it's excellence, was ranked #1 in the state. Laurel Nokomis School came in #10, Imagine School at North Port #74 and Imagine Palmer Ranch at #133 (they were the only school in Sarasota county in that category to get a B rating, the others were all A's).

To see the ratings and rankings of each school in Sarasota county, here is the link to the state website:
https://app2.fldoe.org/Ranking/Schools/RankDetailDist.aspx?dist=58

Since the school system changes the lines of the school districts on an annual basis to adjust for changing population, the most reliable source to find out a neighborhood's school district is at the website, which has maps showing current district borders: Sarasota County Schools, Home

Once you've decided which school districts would best fit your family's needs, you can then search for neighborhoods within those districts.

I hope your move goes smoothly.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:16 PM

4 posts, read 24,192 times
The Sarasota Springs area has excellent schools and a lot of kids all over the neighborhood.

I`ve lived here for 12 years with kids and it`s been very good.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:16 AM

125 posts, read 196,297 times
I moved to Sarasota from Maryland last yr. I have 7 & 5 yr old. We rented in Gulf Gate then bought in Stonebridge, Palmer Ranch. My daughter went to Gulf Gate Elem then Ashton. They are both great schools, I prefer Ashton... My 5 yr old goes to Good Shepherd Lutheran for VPK/daycare, it is also a great school and good location for Ashton. I received a good tip when looking for neighborhoods, maintenance free communities generally attract retirees so have NO kids. I love Palmer ranch....

Old 04-30-2012, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 16,040 times
Default Thank you

For those who took the time to post in such detail, THANK YOU! My husband and I just moved here from NYC, I was begining to think there were no families here and couldnt figure out why there are so many Elementary schools. We have a newborn but would like to buy where she can go to school. Thank you for all the tips they are so helpful and encouraging

Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 AM

40 posts, read 100,090 times
This is excellent information. Thank you to those who contributed. I'm thinking about a move also and the Palmer Ranch area and Ashton schools keep coming up. I wonder how they rank compared to the rest of the nation? Florida schools do not have a very good reputation in general.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 AM

279 posts, read 574,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyMoosh View Post
This is excellent information. Thank you to those who contributed. I'm thinking about a move also and the Palmer Ranch area and Ashton schools keep coming up. I wonder how they rank compared to the rest of the nation? Florida schools do not have a very good reputation in general.
Ashton is a good school. i moved here almost 2 yrs ago from NYC area (Long Island) and did my HW. We are at Pine View but we first rented in the Ashton district as an alternate option. I have since learned that most of the schools in Sarasota are great. I wouldn't just go anywhere in FL but here in Sarasota I am impressed.

Now that we bought our home we are zoned for Laurel Nokomis and I feel good about that as an option too.

I find I keep saying, "Wow! They don't do this in NY." or "I can't believe all the classrooms have smart boards" etc ...not to mention you can't bake cupcakes and send them to school in NY!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:32 AM

40 posts, read 100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoOsprey View Post
Ashton is a good school. i moved here almost 2 yrs ago from NYC area (Long Island) and did my HW. We are at Pine View but we first rented in the Ashton district as an alternate option. I have since learned that most of the schools in Sarasota are great. I wouldn't just go anywhere in FL but here in Sarasota I am impressed.

Now that we bought our home we are zoned for Laurel Nokomis and I feel good about that as an option too.

I find I keep saying, "Wow! They don't do this in NY." or "I can't believe all the classrooms have smart boards" etc ...not to mention you can't bake cupcakes and send them to school in NY!
Thanks. It's good to get first hand info from people who are on the ground. I just looked through (Palmer website) all the sub-developments of Palmer Ranch and came away unimpressed. Maybe I'm missing something. All of them had cheesy white kitchens. Where are the upscale mediterranean homes besides Lakewood Ranch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area