U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 08:35 AM

17 posts, read 47,922 times

Advertisements

I have been having trouble finding someone I can count on to take care of my pool when I am gone, and am starting to wonder if it will just be easier to close it down for 2-3 months when I am gone for the summer.
Though the water chemistry was never correct when I checked it myself, the biggest problem is that we have no pool cage (and our house style isn't really conducive to adding one). On windy days, I have skim out quite a few leaves. No big deal. However, a weekly visit from the pool company - especially during summer storm season won't cut it. (I am now having to replace a fairly new pump motor that burnt out due to clogged leaves).

Anyway, though I have ordered a leaf net, which will hopefully help, I'd prefer to just close it down while I am away. Anyone tried this? I would have more peace of mind and wouldnt mind some extra cleanup in the fall - unless I'd be returning to a cess pool. Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 12:06 PM

11,330 posts, read 10,098,122 times
I don't understand how you would close your pool. Drain it completely? You can't find a single pool company that will do a weekly or bi weekly visit?

Old 02-18-2012, 12:49 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,996,648 times
Up North people close their pools for the winter. It involves heavily shocking it with winterizing chemicals and covering it and protecting the filter and such from freezing. I don't know if that would work here. My thought is that with the extreme heat, the water under that cover would be a nice slime green by the time you got back.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:52 PM

4,830 posts, read 12,995,693 times
Never heard of "closing your pool"...you might inquire about draining it & having a pool cover installed but when you find out how expensive it is to have a pool cover made to fit, you'd be better off having a pool service instead...

Old 02-18-2012, 03:21 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,352,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
Up North people close their pools for the winter. It involves heavily shocking it with winterizing chemicals and covering it and protecting the filter and such from freezing. I don't know if that would work here. My thought is that with the extreme heat, the water under that cover would be a nice slime green by the time you got back.
This^

Pools up north can stay clear during winter with proper winterization. Due to the extreme cold- algae & bacteria won't bloom in the water in freezing temps. But even people up north don't "close" their pools & leave for months in the summer.

Here in Florida with pretty much year round warm weather, without regular maintainence, you will have a complete mess when you return!

Just put a leaf net over your pool & hire someone to come out for weekly maintainence.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:35 PM

I was afraid that would be the case. My previous pool company didnt want to use a leaf net, because they thought it could get sucked into the skimmer(?), but that does sound like my only option. I'll look for someone else to manage things while I am gone. I guess that must be what they do with bank owned homes that sit vacant for months?

Old 02-18-2012, 09:46 PM

931 posts, read 941,722 times
I would think you could do that, my brother did for many years. Of course, I have no idea what the pool was like when the summer was over. I can't imagine he would have done it if it were a problem. He treated it the same way they do up North. He emptied it about 2/3, added chemicals and covered it. Even if the pool is green when you open it, the chemicals clear it up quickly. The cost of the cover is probably offset by the savings on chemicals and electricity.

I would ask a pool service what people do. There are many (like my brother) who spent the summers up North. Plus, are the liability issues of leaving an open pool.

I think you can safely close it for the summer.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:06 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,961,010 times
Be very careful about draining a pool in FL, even part way. When the water table rises, especially if you are close to sea level, or during heavy rains, the shell can pop out of the ground (it becomes a boat hull).

I'd definitely get advice from a local pool company before leaving it drained for a long period.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:17 PM

11,330 posts, read 10,098,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
Plus, are the liability issues of leaving an open pool.

I think this thread has gone over my head.

What liability issues would you have? Technically a pool is always open even if it is partly drained.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:44 PM

Is there a reason your brother drained some of the water? Wouldn't the chemicals and cover give him the same result with all the water in the pool.
I am going to have some upgrades done on my pool, and the remodeler said that we may have to drain it, if we couldn't clean all the debris out of it when the work was done. He said that we could open the bottom drain, which would equalize the pressure to avoid any possibility of it popping out of the ground.
In any case, I wouldn't attempt to drain it to avoid summer maintenance. I was just hoping there was a procedure equivalent to northern winterizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area