Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 05:37 AM

64 posts, read 77,117 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a male in my 30's moving to Sarasota from Sactown soon.. Is there any similarities anyone can tell me about whether it be socially or about the economy. Has anyone lived in both places before? I am tired of the poor air quality where I live and every neighborhood going to crap unless you are affluent. How could my quality of life improve if I move to the Sarasota area? I like the idea of moving to a place with beaches as well and hear for a beach town, prices are cheaper than they are here in CA.. I just want opinions, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 07:32 AM

16 posts, read 24,240 times
Hmmm. Have you visited much? I would definitely plan a visit and spend a little time here. I haven't lived in CA but Sarasota is a gorgeous place to live. However, there is a lot of affluence and a smaller middle class. Our main industry is tourism and health care so that attracts a certain type of people. We definitely have more young professionals than we did years ago but it's still not comparable to other cities. Our demographic is definitely older. You can be happy anywhere you live but I would suggest you spend a little time here off-season (and definitely land a job) before you move across the country. Hope this helps.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:14 AM

547 posts, read 924,149 times
More interesting would be you letting us know after say 6 months or so.
Compared to the places we have visited in California, it's cheaper to live here, but the pay scale is much lower too. It's a slower pace here than California
The weather is definitely different. It can be difficult to earn a living wage.
The beaches here are nice, but crowded this time of year.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2012, 03:03 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,522,165 times
Do you have a job lined up in Sarasota? Are you looking to rent or buy when you come here? I also would recommend visiting before you make the move. Drive around neighborhoods, talk with the locals, see what the area is like yourself. There are plenty of indoor and outdoor activities to do in Sarasota. Sarasota is very crowded especially during the snowbird season. Jobs are hard to find, depending on what field you are in.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:35 PM

64 posts, read 77,117 times
I realize everything that most people are saying but I have a few family members in Sarasota and I am sick of the plaguing crime going on in Sacramento and the gun restrictions in CA. Pay is more here, but cost of living is also higher too. I do know most of FL does not pay very high and real estate has gone up there although some has dropped too I know. I also notice some parts of FL celebrates European culture more and this sort of thing means a lot. Nonwhites don't rule the state even though some live there. In CA they get tons of say and even control some of the government too.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:11 AM

29 posts, read 142,115 times
Hi, I am from MA. My family would like to move to CA(San Diego) but I think it is too expensive and therefore maybe finding different place to live would be better decision. I was thinking of Sarasota. But I am very afraid of tornadoes and hurricanes. How often are they became a bother?

Old 03-11-2012, 07:31 PM

287 posts, read 588,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy14 View Post
Hello, I am a male in my 30's moving to Sarasota from Sactown soon.. Is there any similarities anyone can tell me about whether it be socially or about the economy. Has anyone lived in both places before? I am tired of the poor air quality where I live and every neighborhood going to crap unless you are affluent. How could my quality of life improve if I move to the Sarasota area? I like the idea of moving to a place with beaches as well and hear for a beach town, prices are cheaper than they are here in CA.. I just want opinions, thanks.
If eventually after renting you choose to buy. Buy in 34238

34238 is the only one you can't lose on. Read my myriad of other posts for smart investment reasons.

The next best investment performer of 13 Sarasota zip codes.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:28 PM

386 posts, read 1,013,387 times
I'm familiar with Sacramento. My ex-husband and relatives live there. I
felt like I was "out in the middle of nowhere" (sorry). IMO, just from a "closer to the beach" choice the Gulf Coast is a great choice but then again, coming from NJ/PHL/NYC I prefer to live near a coast.
I also think this area is more relaxed and attractive and offers ready access north to St. Petersburg & Tampa and south to Ft. Myers (Sanibel & Marco Islands), and Naples, etc. It also offers plenty of culture. You'll love the weather here even during the hottest months because you can always go to the wonderful beaches, unlike Sacto. Unemployment is 10% here (if you believe the statistics) or possibly more, so if you are able to move, (without a job), it would probably be a good idea to budget 15-18 months of living expenses from the get go. Best wishes and good luck! If you can manage it I'm sure you won't regret your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area