Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:49 AM

65 posts, read 143,342 times

Advertisements

So excited!!!

Any suggestions on things to do or things to see? We're trying not to spend a ton of money. Our big touristy thing is going to the Clearwater Aquarium to see Winter. I thought the locals might have the inside scoop on anything going on that would be fun to see.

What about places to eat? We'd prefer local places over chains, obviously. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 11:32 AM

279 posts, read 577,805 times
I wouldn't drive all the way from here to Clearwater for Winter but if you are deadset on it. It's a long drive and a tiny aquarium. I was there a few years ago (before that movie) and it was crowded, nothing really to see or do there besides a movie they show and then seeing the dolphins perform.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:50 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Mote Marine Aquarium in Sarasota

Selby Botanical Gardens in Sarasota

Spanish Point in Osprey

Tampa Bay Downs in Tampa to see live thoroughbred horse racing, Only $2 admission on weekends (free on weekdays). You can get within 10 feet of the horses and it is a very clean and fun place to visit. Check ahead to find out racing days and times.

The Jetties in Venice or Nokomis(free park)...to stroll along to water, sit on a bench, watch the boats and the dolphins. They call it N jetty park and S jetty park. Google it. It's a half hour S of Sarasota but you can stop at Spanish Point on the way. Venice has a pier that goes a thousand feet or so into the Gulf...it's located by Sharky's Restaurant..which is a tourist trap with food that is not that great but they are on the beach right at the pier. You park there and can walk out to the pier..don't have to go the the restaurant to do that.

There is a small Amish community in Sarasota, approx 20 minutes from downtown Sarasota. It's called Pinecraft. There is a most AWESOME Amish restaurant there called Troyer's Dutch Heritage(will soon be renamed to Der Dutchman, which was the original name) . You must eat there.

It has 500 seats and a great buffet but you can order from the menu. There are some Amish and Mennonite working there (in traditional clothing) but the neighborhood has lots of Amish/Mennonite walking around and also riding bicycles. No horse and buggies due to the dense city area there. The restaurant has a bakery and gift shop attached and bakery items are awesome and reasonable prices. I just went yesterday and stocked up.

. Also other Amish restaurants nearby(Yoder's is the other popular one). Amish from the midwest visit that area...some for vacation and others are snowbirds with some full timers. It is neat to see the area and stop for some good food at the restaurant. Folks come from all over to that place but locals love it also. I used to go once a week for many years and never had a bad meal.

Last edited by sware2cod; 02-24-2012 at 08:00 AM..

Old 02-26-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoOsprey View Post
I wouldn't drive all the way from here to Clearwater for Winter but if you are deadset on it. It's a long drive and a tiny aquarium. I was there a few years ago (before that movie) and it was crowded, nothing really to see or do there besides a movie they show and then seeing the dolphins perform.
That's really disappointing. My kids are dead set on seeing Winter, so we're going for sure.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Mote Marine Aquarium in Sarasota

Selby Botanical Gardens in Sarasota

Spanish Point in Osprey

Tampa Bay Downs in Tampa to see live thoroughbred horse racing, Only $2 admission on weekends (free on weekdays). You can get within 10 feet of the horses and it is a very clean and fun place to visit. Check ahead to find out racing days and times.

The Jetties in Venice or Nokomis(free park)...to stroll along to water, sit on a bench, watch the boats and the dolphins. They call it N jetty park and S jetty park. Google it. It's a half hour S of Sarasota but you can stop at Spanish Point on the way. Venice has a pier that goes a thousand feet or so into the Gulf...it's located by Sharky's Restaurant..which is a tourist trap with food that is not that great but they are on the beach right at the pier. You park there and can walk out to the pier..don't have to go the the restaurant to do that.

There is a small Amish community in Sarasota, approx 20 minutes from downtown Sarasota. It's called Pinecraft. There is a most AWESOME Amish restaurant there called Troyer's Dutch Heritage(will soon be renamed to Der Dutchman, which was the original name) . You must eat there.

It has 500 seats and a great buffet but you can order from the menu. There are some Amish and Mennonite working there (in traditional clothing) but the neighborhood has lots of Amish/Mennonite walking around and also riding bicycles. No horse and buggies due to the dense city area there. The restaurant has a bakery and gift shop attached and bakery items are awesome and reasonable prices. I just went yesterday and stocked up.

. Also other Amish restaurants nearby(Yoder's is the other popular one). Amish from the midwest visit that area...some for vacation and others are snowbirds with some full timers. It is neat to see the area and stop for some good food at the restaurant. Folks come from all over to that place but locals love it also. I used to go once a week for many years and never had a bad meal.
Thank you for the suggestions!! I will pass all info on to my hubby! He grew up in Bradenton and has told me about the great Amish restaurants.

We did Mote the last time we were in town and also the Botanical Gardens. Although I wouldn't mind going back to either.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
If you wanted to venture a little south you could check out the Swamp Buggy Races starting the first week in March: Swamp Buggy Races, Naples Florida

The Arcadia Rodeo is March 11-13: Home Page Arcadia All-Florida Championship Rodeo

The Peace River Seafood Festival in Punta Gorda is Mar- 12-13: Punta Gorda Events: Peace River Seafood Festival at Laishley Park March 12 and 13

The Sarasota Folk & Acoustic Music Festival is toward the end of the month, Mar 24-25: Sarasota Folk Festival

That same weekend is the downtown Sarasota Arts and Crafts Festival: ArtFestival.com | Art Shows | Craft Shows | Art and Craft Festivals

The Sarasota Jazz Festival is Mar 4th-10th: Sarasota Jazz Festival Sarasota - Sarasota Jazz Festival at Sarasota, Florida, United States - Mar 4, 2012 12:00 am | Eventful

a few other lesser known things to do are:

Babcock Wilderness Adventures: Babcock Wilderness Adventures

Big Cat Habitat: Big Cat Habitat and Gulf Coast Sanctuary in Sarasota, Florida | A Safe Place for Animals

Solomon's Castle: http://solomonscastle.org/

Edison/Ford Winter Estates: http://www.edisonfordwinterestates.org/

Spanish Point: http://www.historicspanishpoint.org/

Old 02-27-2012, 02:10 PM

157 posts, read 389,375 times
If you go to MOte and pay for the one year membership, you can go to see winter at clearwater half price or even free, check out both websites before you go.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:11 PM

157 posts, read 389,375 times
Also GWhiz is a great museum for kids and ringling is free on a monday

Old 02-28-2012, 05:19 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
Previous post on city-data about things to do in Sarasota.
//www.city-data.com/forum/sarasota-bradenton-venice-area/1044799-kids-activities-parks-sarasota-area-tamiami.html#ixzz1Tc6T1XoS

Old 02-28-2012, 06:23 AM

Thanks everyone!!
We are so excited and the weather looks perfect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area