Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 06:32 AM

809 posts, read 1,180,837 times

Advertisements

Wow..how strange reading it. It's one of my favorite experiences after landing in Tampa and heading over to Bradenton/Sarasotal. We lOVE the bridge! Didn't know of the disasters, but that won't stop me from going over or loving it. Beautiful views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 06:37 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
...It's really amazing to cruise under it; that really opens up your mind to the size of this bridge.

I always keep the windows open when I drive over it but I think it's an awesome bridge...

My xhusband's friend had just crossed the bridge when it broke off...

Personally, I have a fear of parking garages, overpasses & underpasses and such but sometimes you just can't think about these things or they will drive you insane...

Old 02-24-2012, 06:50 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Normally I am not the driver when I travel with my husband but have taken couple of trips where I had to drive over the Skyway--
I too admit to some white-knuckle crossing phobia

the first time we visited DisneyWorld/Tampa many years ago I was driving our Ford Econoline van and we had the windows open...crossing the bridge was scary but it was also apparently during a red-tide event--
with the wind from the Bay blowing into the car I got terrible reaction to the red tide air--
started having trouble with my eyes watering profusely--and there was really no way to pull off and change drivers--pretty scary to need windshield washers for your eyes...
think that has kept me nervous about going across --
but I hate the bridge that crosses the MS River at New Orleans as well--or even driving in the mountains in New Mexico or Colorado where you have bridges across gorges...

Old 02-24-2012, 02:36 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrodptl View Post
First time I was driving from TPA Airport to Sarasota I almost swallowed my tongue when I first saw that bridge coming up. Luckily the kids were sleeping and the wife kept her eyes closed. Is there optional routes that are within reasonable time? Thanks.
I feel for you, some great suggestions were given as far as an alternative, so I just wanted to add how much I detest that bridge as well. On the ride home from Tampa, it was raining and crossing the Skyway, I held on to the side of the door with such a death grip, I worsened my injured rotary cuff due to pressure that rose from hand to shoulder from the amount of pressure that rose up my are from the grip. I didn't get any sleep that night, due to my reaction to riding over that bridge.

Being the passenger, maybe, one might think it shouldn't be as bad, no cigar, but I do try to find ways to lessen the fear. I usually bring reading materials and try not to peak from my eye's side view. Last month, on my ride back, I did decide to just face my fear and looked as we traveled over the bridge. This time when I did that, I found I was able to manage my fear and it wasn't so bad. I'm not sure that's going to work every time, but it did help that last trip to calm myself with a little self talk. But generally, when you are phobic, like I am about such things, it can be close to impossible over come the fear in the moment. Forget walking over even the lowest of these bridges.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:39 AM

I hate to fly so can understand the fear, but I do it anyway. Won't stop me from traveling, I just don't like it, especially the take-off. But I didn't realize people's fear of bridges were so prevalent. Maybe it's where I live, but you can't get onto or off Long Island without going over a bridge somewhere, so perhaps people are less fearful of them up here. I truly never heard of someone who had anxiety over bridges. Learned something new. I also have to say that whenever we crossed Skyline, it was a beautiful ride. Maybe if it was windy, or rainy, or thundering I'd feel differently.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:16 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
I hate to fly so can understand the fear, but I do it anyway. Won't stop me from traveling, I just don't like it, especially the take-off. But I didn't realize people's fear of bridges were so prevalent. Maybe it's where I live, but you can't get onto or off Long Island without going over a bridge somewhere, so perhaps people are less fearful of them up here. I truly never heard of someone who had anxiety over bridges. Learned something new. I also have to say that whenever we crossed Skyline, it was a beautiful ride. Maybe if it was windy, or rainy, or thundering I'd feel differently.

It's not the fear "of bridges". It's just the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. The roadway is somewhere around 200' tall. It's a very tall bridge with a very steep incline and that is the biggest difference in driving this bridge versus other tall bridges where you typically you don't have to drive up a steep incline. It is over 5 miles long. It is one of the taller/longer bridges in the USA...

It is the world's longest bridge with a cable-stayed main span

The incline is like looking straight up and all you see is a huge hill of asphalt that goes up and up and up and up-much like a roller coaster incline. Nothing but horizon and water on both sides. Because there are no buildings or land anywhere in the direct vicinity, it makes it seem even higher to me, from peripheral vision when you are driving there.

It is a stunningly beautiful bridge with a breathtaking background. It is a sight to see.

But driving or riding over can bring out cold sweats and panic attacks, even in folks that have no problems with bridges and even if you think you will be OK with it. You really won't know until you do it. Some folks have no issues at all; others mild anxiety.

I helps me to keep my eyes very focused on the roadway ahead of me and nothing else. I get dizzy otherwise.

It is common for suicides.

Google Sunshine Skyway Bridge Florida to get some photos. This photo is just a small portion of it and makes is look lower than it really is.

Here's a photo.

Last edited by sware2cod; 02-25-2012 at 09:33 AM..

Old 02-25-2012, 08:20 AM

I've driven over it many times in the past 10 years and never realized the steepness or anything else you are describing. Now, though, I will be looking out for this and I have a feeling I'll be nervous about it. But, before this post, thought it was a bridge like any other, except I personally always enjoyed going over it!

Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
As much as I love the Skyway (as mentioned above in my earlier post) the thing that scares people ( and even me a little bit) is the approach to the steep part of the span - it does look like a roller coaster with a very steep hill but once you start going up the ascent feels very gradual, and with the water below I don't get a sense of the extreme height. The guard rails are also thick and substantial and no scary "grate" on the top (like the old one "shudder") so this bridge is not scary to me, and the view is just so fantastic from the top and the descent. Now, I would NOT want to go over it in bad or windy weather!

Old 02-25-2012, 11:07 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,562 times
While I'm not a "bridge lover", I actually enjoy the skyway bridge. I guess I'm too busy admiring the views then worrying about everything else. If you can put the fears in the back of your mind, it's really breathtaking.

My husband & I seem so dorky when we are getting ready to go over the bridge & tell our kids "Hey guys, look! We're going over the bridge!" They're like, Um yea, that's great mom & dad ......lol

Old 03-09-2012, 07:25 PM

7 posts, read 35,740 times
Last time when I was driving fromTampa to Bradenton, the speed lane was closed for repairs and the lanes were remarked. I was in the right most lane and the gaurd rail was about 6 inches from my vehicle.I immediately changed lanes. But if you drive on to one of those piers, the bridge looks amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area