Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:31 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarboy View Post
Has anybody tried the Gyro place?
Yes, they have pretty good gyros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 12:47 PM

279 posts, read 577,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
You know how they say that 30 minutes after a Chinese meal you're hungry again? That's what happened tonight after we went to Mak's.

Difference is, the reason was because I couldn't bring myself to eat the "Chinese food" they tried to serve me.

Hot and sour soup should not be watery and luke warm.

Egg rolls should not taste and appear to be a small piece of rolled up carpet remnant.

Kung pao chicken is a spicy dish in a brown or red sauce with chicken and peanuts. It has a distinct flavor. What we had this evening bore absolute no resemblance whatsoever to king pao chicken.

War shu opp (pressed duck in brown sauce) is not supposed to be DEEP FRIED dry duck. Imagine it--DEEP FRIED duck. Two bites and done.

We never even got the second round of drinks we ordered.

Not exactly sparklingly clean place, either.

I do not wish to offend anyone's tastes, but i suspect that if anyone feels this is even passable Chinese cuisine, they would fall to their knees and praise Buddha if they were ever served anything done right.

Sorry guys. This was abysmal. Easily the worst meal I have had in Sarasota. I realize I might be sounding somehow snobbish or condescending or something, but there is no way to say these things and no sound this way.
bummer. i was reading along hoping you'd say it was decent. I haven't had the guts to try Chinese food here in the almost 2 yrs I've lived here

Old 03-07-2012, 03:41 PM

220 posts, read 269,697 times
My wife and I tried Jim's Small Batch Bakery and it is FABULOUS.....We are from Chicago and have lived all over. This is the BEST bread we have ever had. He bakes two different types each morning and the fresh bread is ready around Noon each day... When it's are gone it's all gone. So far we are going every day for a small boule. And the desserts, pastries and made on the spot sandwiches, our favorite "Ham and Brie" are too good too be true. You must try the Carrot Cake..."To Die For"....YUM..YUM..YUM. We are just so impressed and can't say enough....You MUST try this Bakery. It is a GEM.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:33 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
Quote:
my wife and i tried jim's small batch bakery and it is fabulous.....we are from chicago and have lived all over. This is the best bread we have ever had. He bakes two different types each morning and the fresh bread is ready around noon each day... When it's are gone it's all gone. So far we are going every day for a small boule. And the desserts, pastries and made on the spot sandwiches, our favorite "ham and brie" are too good too be true. You must try the carrot cake..."to die for"....yum..yum..yum. We are just so impressed and can't say enough....you must try this bakery. It is a gem.
sold! Sold! Sold! Sold! Sold! Sold! Sold!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
My wife and I tried Jim's Small Batch Bakery and it is FABULOUS.....We are from Chicago and have lived all over. This is the BEST bread we have ever had. He bakes two different types each morning and the fresh bread is ready around Noon each day... When it's are gone it's all gone. So far we are going every day for a small boule. And the desserts, pastries and made on the spot sandwiches, our favorite "Ham and Brie" are too good too be true. You must try the Carrot Cake..."To Die For"....YUM..YUM..YUM. We are just so impressed and can't say enough....You MUST try this Bakery. It is a GEM.
Yes, I second this. I get bread from his a couple of times a week.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:38 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
As unlikely as it is, if it turns out you're right and Mak's is excellent Chinese food, I am going to track you down and plant a big wet one on ya. When you say "no buffet," you get instant credibility with me.

Go to Vizen if you get a chance. It's a little pricier, and you need to be "smart casual," but holee molee you'll know why when the appetizers show up. He puts a refined spin on absolutely everything he serves, and it's not just for show. It really is fantastic.

As for Munchees, I must say, we do not smoke the sticky icky, and their stuff is WAY too heavy for non-stoned folks to consume.

Monk's looks like someplace we'll want to go. I gather it is a bar, though, which is an issue if you have a ten-month old.

I really do like Gulf Gate. I think it is overlooked as a fine option in Sarasota. The location is awesome, and all of these restaurants and bars make for a pretty cool vibe. I know some of them have been struggling, so it would be great to see more people hanging out in the area.
Monks is not for children, no way no how. I find Gulf Gate to be weird, basically bars and more weird...
If you like sushi, I recommend Ichiban, east of GG on Clark...$20 cash/all you can eat & they make the all you can eat to order. It doesn't get better than that. But don't over do it because they charge you per item left on your plate!!!

Your about to be toddler would be much happier, people watching at Patrick's on Main Street at an outside table.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Monks is not for children, no way no how. I find Gulf Gate to be weird, basically bars and more weird...
Hahaha! True, Gulf Gate is really weird but I love it!

Old 03-09-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
If you like sushi, I recommend Ichiban, east of GG on Clark...$20 cash/all you can eat & they make the all you can eat to order. It doesn't get better than that. But don't over do it because they charge you per item left on your plate!!!

Your about to be toddler would be much happier, people watching at Patrick's on Main Street at an outside table.
There is a reason Ichiban can charge $20 for all of the tuna and salmon you can eat. i will leave it up to you to decide what that reason might be.

Vizen is not cheap by any stretch, but I am telling you, the guy is a true artist and uses only TOP drawer ingredients. It's a place to celebrate a holiday or event (but they adhere to a strict "smart casual" dress code, so t-shirts please!).

I am not exaggerating when I say that Vizen is to Ichiban what Peter Luger's is to McDonald's.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:29 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
There is a reason Ichiban can charge $20 for all of the tuna and salmon you can eat. i will leave it up to you to decide what that reason might be.

Vizen is not cheap by any stretch, but I am telling you, the guy is a true artist and uses only TOP drawer ingredients. It's a place to celebrate a holiday or event (but they adhere to a strict "smart casual" dress code, so t-shirts please!).

I am not exaggerating when I say that Vizen is to Ichiban what Peter Luger's is to McDonald's.
It's not only tuna & salmon for $20 @ Ichiban...have you eaten there yourself? You can also hit up Drunken Poets on Main & leave your cash in a flash.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
It's not only tuna & salmon for $20 @ Ichiban...have you eaten there yourself? You can also hit up Drunken Poets on Main & leave your cash in a flash.
I have eaten at Ichiban three times, and only after the last time did I stick to my claim that I would never do so again. It's just not great fish.

And Drunken Poet is very average at best. The Thai is actually sub-par.

If your point is that Drunken Poet is something like Vizen, then we're having two entirely different conversations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area