U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 07:37 PM

15 posts, read 29,755 times

Advertisements

There are tons of villas in Sarasota, and I'm wondering just how much sound gets through the shared wall from one side to the other. Is this a problem? Are common walls thicker or built differently than the other walls? As a prospective buyer who is looking at villas and detached houses, this is one of my concerns.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 11:46 PM

6,864 posts, read 11,054,325 times
The sound proofing of the common wall would be according to when the building was constructed, who consructed it, what fire code was in existence when it was built, what materials were used, is there a common open attic area or does the wall go to the roof. Also, the older the building, the less insulation on the ceiling. Many older buildings have only 4". New code requires 12".

Old 03-07-2012, 02:12 AM

913 posts, read 2,236,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimc View Post
There are tons of villas in Sarasota, and I'm wondering just how much sound gets through the shared wall from one side to the other. Is this a problem? Are common walls thicker or built differently than the other walls? As a prospective buyer who is looking at villas and detached houses, this is one of my concerns.
When we were looking at condos there was a wide variety of construction types. Many were apartment conversions, which were the worst. Just 2 X 4 constrcution and very little soundproofing. We ended up purchasing a unit that was constructed as a condo. It has concrete block exterior walls and concrete slab floors and ceilings. We hear very little through the walls, but do hear furniture moving around the unit upstairs. Most HOA's have flooring restrictions, as our does, but it appears these were not followed. I guess I could complain, bit's not that big of deal to us.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:44 AM

518 posts, read 1,158,162 times
I bought a new townhouse ville end unit all concrete with one wall being a firewall You hear some noise and things being moved across the floors. it is very quiet when everyone sleeps. I also have a older condo wood frame and it is very loud all the time. I would have to be much older and near deaf to buy another condo again. The bad thing about Florida is a lot of people in these complexes are near deaf and play there tv, ect at very load volumes just to hear what there watching or listening to.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:06 AM

11,937 posts, read 11,495,127 times
I thought common walls had to be firewalls whether it was an apartment conversion or not?

Anything built prior to the 1980s is going to be concrete and cinderblock which is pretty soundproof.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:27 PM

913 posts, read 2,236,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I thought common walls had to be firewalls whether it was an apartment conversion or not?

Anything built prior to the 1980s is going to be concrete and cinderblock which is pretty soundproof.
That was not my experience. We looked at a lot of conversions and they were stick construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>