U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 AM

45 posts, read 98,897 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me! I currently live in Hilton Head, SC, and want to pursue my dream of moving to a true beach town in Florida. I am a very positive person who loves the beach, my dog, community involvement (volunteering, 12 step program, coffee shops, live music, etc) and being happy. Is this a good place for me to move - in terms of meeting people my age and living an active beach life? (I am also on the lookout for finding my hubby...) I have a master's degree in education and am open to doing any sort of work...Thanks!
Rate this post positively

Old 03-09-2012, 12:21 PM

4,850 posts, read 13,366,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lablovr View Post
Hi All,
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me! I currently live in Hilton Head, SC, and want to pursue my dream of moving to a true beach town in Florida. I am a very positive person who loves the beach, my dog, community involvement (volunteering, 12 step program, coffee shops, live music, etc) and being happy. Is this a good place for me to move - in terms of meeting people my age and living an active beach life? (I am also on the lookout for finding my hubby...) I have a master's degree in education and am open to doing any sort of work...Thanks!
Since no one else is moved to reply, I'll give you my opinion straight up.

HH & SRQ are both tourist towns, so I'm not getting what you mean by "true beach town". Most people in SRQ need to be in a twelve step program if they're not already...as far as your age group, sure, Siesta Key beach on the weekends would work. A master's in education is as good as anything but it won't necessarily land you a teaching job as jobs are scarce, especially ones that pay over $10/hour. Finding a hubby...oh boy, you and everyone else under 95. Sarasota is not dubbed "cougartown" for no reason. In the coffee shop you'll find a hot hippie with no money. At the beach, you'll get surferboy who lives off his MILF. While volunteering, you'll run into everything else. I've been in this area over twenty years & was just under 30 when my xhusband moved us here. The beaches are beautiful, the islands are crowded from January through April, and then we get Sarasota back to ourselves in the summer. If you don't have a job lined up, have available $ for a year, at least.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:40 PM

3,979 posts, read 9,707,496 times
Most importantly I think you would need to find a job before you move here, unless you are wealthy.

What type of job are you looking for in education? If you are planning to teach you would need to get certified in the state of Florida before anyone would even look at you. You have to apply online at the school districts when jobs open. Here are some links:

Florida Department of Education - Educator Certification
Sarasota County Schools - Sarasota County Schools, Home

If you are looking to teach in a college? Sarasota has a lot of colleges and universities. Again, you would have to apply online. I am not sure if you are looking to teach or do something else in education.

Are you looking to rent or buy a home when you move here? Sarasota can be pretty expensive to live. Venice is an older town with an older population. You might be better off in Sarasota or North Port. Both have younger communities.

If you did move here, there are a lot of social type activities you can get involved in to meet people. Not just the beach scene. And there are always places to do volunteer work. Even at the animal shelter if you like dogs. There are lots of parks and places to walk dogs.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:53 PM

11,877 posts, read 11,298,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lablovr View Post
Hi All,
If you are from Hilton Head, you are going to have a hard time with a city that has such lax zoning. The two destinations are the same as far as having a wealthy base of residents from somewhere else.

Honestly, I'd check out one of the Jacksonville beaches.

The easiest jobs to land are restaurant jobs.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,369 times
Smile also thinking of moving to sarasota!

I'm so glad you posted this. I'm a single 30yr old chick and thinking of moving to the Sarasota area. I have been in Manhattan for the past 7 years and am exhausted. Most of my family is in FL now (shocker) as well.
My biggest fear is finding a job in the event/marketing field and that there are not too many people around my age. True? False?

Old 03-28-2012, 10:56 PM

157 posts, read 362,831 times
I'm a thirty something on Siesta Key and have a better social life than what I had in London in my twenties!!!!!!!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:02 AM

16,407 posts, read 35,446,274 times
It all comes down to individual tastes. There are plenty of thirty-somethings here who love it and would not live anywhere else. Others want the big city, party lifestyle or whatever. While it's true the area has a lot of retirees (like most coastal cities in FL) the fact is there are plenty of young professionals and students, also, and getting younger here all the time.

The area has plenty to do and plenty of people to meet unless you need a "fast-lane" type lifestyle with lots of clubs you will do fine here.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:40 AM

36 posts, read 79,667 times
Sarasota is definately not for young people accustomed to city life.

Sarasota is the Retirement Capital of America. People do not retire to Sarasota to be around more people their age, they move to Sarasota to get away from people your age. If you tell that to a baby boomer, they will deny it. If you tell a baby boomer anything truthful, they will deny it.

Retired people like watching TV, visiting the doctor, eating prescription pills, and going to the pharmacy for refills. Their diet consists of Sweet & Low, coffee, bread, and I Cant Believe Its Not Butter. They live off Social Security and Medicaid.

Ringling made Sarasota into a Art Center of Florida. After he died, the circus freaks who made Sarasota interesting were kindly asked to leave or be left destitute in the streets. Artists in Sarasota fit into a specific mold, reminisce of stale bread. Artists must think inside-the-box, and anyone with genuine sparks of creativity is shunned, and left destitute on the streets.

Sarasota has been voted #1 in the nation for mistreating the homeless. I think that retirees in America are heavily dysfunctional people wearing a mask of innocence and frailty. Birds of a feather flock to Sarasota because of the safety in numbers mentality. They are sucking off of Social Security like giant ticks with their heads in the sand.

Dating in Sarasota is in the females favor. But really, where can you go that isn't it in our favor? There are many available men of all ages. If I was single and planning to relocate, I would live somewhere exciting, away from the retirement mode. From what I gather, Sarasota's dating scene is comparable to the art scene. You must think inside-the-box and only associate with people that are canned and common.

Jobs are not easy to get anymore, so I hope you have a good resume. I read an interesting article about jobless men in Sarasota. They called it a "mancession" where men seem hit especially hard with unemployment, compared to females. So maybe it is a good place for you to get a good job, but the downside is they end up complaining about how hard it is to find a boyfriend with a decent job.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:12 AM

16,407 posts, read 35,446,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesaw View Post
Sarasota is definately not for young people accustomed to city life.

Sarasota is the Retirement Capital of America. People do not retire to Sarasota to be around more people their age, they move to Sarasota to get away from people your age. If you tell that to a baby boomer, they will deny it. If you tell a baby boomer anything truthful, they will deny it.

Retired people like watching TV, visiting the doctor, eating prescription pills, and going to the pharmacy for refills. Their diet consists of Sweet & Low, coffee, bread, and I Cant Believe Its Not Butter. They live off Social Security and Medicaid.

Ringling made Sarasota into a Art Center of Florida. After he died, the circus freaks who made Sarasota interesting were kindly asked to leave or be left destitute in the streets. Artists in Sarasota fit into a specific mold, reminisce of stale bread. Artists must think inside-the-box, and anyone with genuine sparks of creativity is shunned, and left destitute on the streets.

Sarasota has been voted #1 in the nation for mistreating the homeless. I think that retirees in America are heavily dysfunctional people wearing a mask of innocence and frailty. Birds of a feather flock to Sarasota because of the safety in numbers mentality. They are sucking off of Social Security like giant ticks with their heads in the sand.

Dating in Sarasota is in the females favor. But really, where can you go that isn't it in our favor? There are many available men of all ages. If I was single and planning to relocate, I would live somewhere exciting, away from the retirement mode. From what I gather, Sarasota's dating scene is comparable to the art scene. You must think inside-the-box and only associate with people that are canned and common.

Jobs are not easy to get anymore, so I hope you have a good resume. I read an interesting article about jobless men in Sarasota. They called it a "mancession" where men seem hit especially hard with unemployment, compared to females. So maybe it is a good place for you to get a good job, but the downside is they end up complaining about how hard it is to find a boyfriend with a decent job.
This post is so full of BS I don't have a shovel big enough for it....

Old 04-03-2012, 11:22 AM

284 posts, read 571,133 times
I would definitely avoid Venice as a 30-something. That is definitely the geriatric center of Florida where the average age seems like 75 and all the stores & restaurants close by 8pm (even the food stores).

Sarasota on the other hand is completely different. There are many communities whereby the average age is much lower. Go to Siesta Key beach & the downtown area and there are LOTS of young people. You would fit right in to Sarasota nicely, but you'll need to research the best community for you to live and as pointed out above you'd need to find a job first.

BTW, I've been to Hilton Head and I find that there are a higher % of tourists compared to the steady population in HH than there are in Sarasota. I used to live in Myrtle Beach and it's the same thing ... the tourist population dominates the steady population. Now that I live in Sarasota I don't get that same feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area