Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 09:32 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,198,652 times

Advertisements

Houses with caged pools or screened lanais, lack screens on the sliding doors from the house. What do people do if they want to open the patio doors at night for fresh air? Trust the lanai screening to keep out bugs?

Can screens be bought to fit sliding doors? I'm not talking about leaving the doors open all night, just in the evening for fresh air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 09:47 PM

67 posts, read 159,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
Houses with caged pools or screened lanais, lack screens on the sliding doors from the house. What do people do if they want to open the patio doors at night for fresh air? Trust the lanai screening to keep out bugs?

Can screens be bought to fit sliding doors? I'm not talking about leaving the doors open all night, just in the evening for fresh air.

I know they make sliding doors with screens because we have them but the screens came with the door set ups. They are Pella windows, don't know what brand yours are but if you do you could check with the manufacturer.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:23 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
If the door track doesn't have the provision for the screen to mount and the wheels to ride, you can't have screens.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:44 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
You can order them to fit at a window and door place. Try Home Depot or Lowes too. I don't think they stock them, but they can order them. You just have to know how to measure. How to measure a patio screen sliding door

Old 03-16-2012, 06:32 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
It's FL, so you can't stop the occasional buggy pest from getting in. Not even the best screens made will stop them all. With that, I've never seen anyone have screen on the large lanai sliders. Ours are wide open from 7am-11pm when we go to bed.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:42 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
I always took the approach that a screen is a screen and the distance from the door to the screen doesn't matter. HH is right...the screening size and fit can vary but nothing keeps everything out. There's always a smaller bug!

Old 03-16-2012, 11:32 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
It's FL, so you can't stop the occasional buggy pest from getting in. Not even the best screens made will stop them all. With that, I've never seen anyone have screen on the large lanai sliders. Ours are wide open from 7am-11pm when we go to bed.
This is us as well.

Screens on the sliders seems a bit overkill.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:21 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,198,652 times
Thanks for the advice. The house we are buying has a patio where there are open corners which have dirt and plants growing in them. It is inside the screened area, behind the pool.

I guess I assumed window and door screens fit tighter than a cage making it difficult for bugs to get in. Not so sure how tight a pool cage is. All the living areas and the master bedroom have large patio doors which open to the pool/patio. No screens on any of them.

Another thing, the master does not have any windows which could be left open at night. The only way to get fresh air is the patio doors.

Thanks again,
Macy

Old 03-17-2012, 10:03 AM

192 posts, read 470,760 times
so you know... I was terrified about bugs before I moved here and thought they would be everywhere. There are some, but not nearly what I imagined. I live in an average neighborhood with little pest control and have my windows open all day with screens, but often forget to slide my screen closed on my slider door. Other than a few tiny guys around my outside light, I'm not getting many at all. It's a seasonal thing and not all the time. I garden barefoot and my dogs snooze in the lawn all day. My only real concern for a slider screen if leaving the door open for a long time would be to keep out the little lizards that like to play on the warm concrete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area