Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:58 PM

241 posts, read 479,769 times

Advertisements

I am buying a foreclosed home as my permanent residence. The AC and pool equipment were ripped out and a slider was broken and the washer dryer and stove were literally ripped out from the walls. (The dishwasher and microwave are still there)As the rest of the home is actually in excellent condition, I assume these items were stolen and not ripped out by a disgruntled former homeowner.

This home is in Port Charlotte in an unpopulated area. This is the only house on the street and it is on a canal. A few people have told me that once the home becomes occupied again, there shouldn't be a worry as to thieves coming back as they are more interested in unoccupied homes so they can get in and out unnoticed.

Am I right or wrong to be concerned that thieves would come back once new equipment is installed? I know no one can predict exactly what will happen, but since there are no neighbors, and the street is remote, it still would be easy. On the other hand this home does not have a security system nor hurricane shutters currently..so when no one was around daily(at work) or long term there was nothing to stop thieves then either.

I am at a quandary as to whether I should install a security system and/or cages around my outdoor equipment. I just moved from outside Philly, PA and I never had a security system before but lived in a more populated area where people did lock their homes . However if I left my car unlocked or forgot to lock the back door...I wasn't overly concerned and never had a problem. So what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 01:16 PM

398 posts, read 822,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbl39 View Post
I am buying a foreclosed home as my permanent residence. The AC and pool equipment were ripped out and a slider was broken and the washer dryer and stove were literally ripped out from the walls. (The dishwasher and microwave are still there)As the rest of the home is actually in excellent condition, I assume these items were stolen and not ripped out by a disgruntled former homeowner.

This home is in Port Charlotte in an unpopulated area. This is the only house on the street and it is on a canal. A few people have told me that once the home becomes occupied again, there shouldn't be a worry as to thieves coming back as they are more interested in unoccupied homes so they can get in and out unnoticed.

Am I right or wrong to be concerned that thieves would come back once new equipment is installed? I know no one can predict exactly what will happen, but since there are no neighbors, and the street is remote, it still would be easy. On the other hand this home does not have a security system nor hurricane shutters currently..so when no one was around daily(at work) or long term there was nothing to stop thieves then either.

I am at a quandary as to whether I should install a security system and/or cages around my outdoor equipment. I just moved from outside Philly, PA and I never had a security system before but lived in a more populated area where people did lock their homes . However if I left my car unlocked or forgot to lock the back door...I wasn't overly concerned and never had a problem. So what do you think?
I would strongly consider motion activated flood lights.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:12 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,973 times
If the area is that remote I think I would also consider getting a security system. Hopefully you'll be paying for never needing the service but what price is peace of mind?

Old 03-18-2012, 03:16 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
I would recommend getting a security system if you are in a remote area. You can buy the cage/tie downs for the A/C if you are worried about that. Most of the time a robber does not come back after a home has been occupied. But you never can tell.

And yes, the motion sensor lights are a great idea. We had them, but the wind kept turning them on at night. Also a bunny rabbit kept activitating it in our backyard, so we finally had to change back to a regular light. You could get the day/night lights on your garage. When it gets dark, the lights automatically come on.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:30 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
I'd reconsider buying. If it's one of only a few houses in a development, I'd steer clear.Really not worth it.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:52 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
Appliance and A/C thefts are a problem in PC and NP unoccupied homes that are in sparsely populated areas.
Remove the 'for sale' sign and/or the foreclosure notice. Mow the lawn. Have the new appliances delivered when you arrive [move in].

Old 03-18-2012, 06:04 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
It might be obvious but you could call the sheriff/PD and ask them if they think you are likely to have a problem. I don't know who would know better. Alarms are ok but they tend to not be very effective. If you are all by your lonesome out there, a horn going off will not do much good. If you have a central station monitor it, the PD might catch them in the act...maybe...but damage will already be done. Even video is often useless. Believe it or not, just having a sign saying the place has an alarm can be as good a deterrent as the alarm itself.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:17 PM

241 posts, read 479,769 times
Settlement is a few weeks off so we are trying to figure out what we want to do. Thanks for the suggestions. If anyone has anymore they would be appreciated as well.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:36 PM

518 posts, read 1,230,920 times
Just remember if you are giving this problem this much thought before buying.So will the next person you want to sell your house to if you decide later you don't like the area and want to sell. It just makes it all the harder to sell later. A lot of people that would be buying your home later are snowbirds and want to know there house won't get stripped when they are back up north. Just a angle on resale.Good luck

Old 03-18-2012, 09:08 PM

535 posts, read 1,031,014 times
Get a big dog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area