Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 03:18 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,739,307 times

Advertisements

I think the problem is that there is crime everywhere. For example, during the month of March thus far, just in the immediate southern Sarasota area, you see all of this...

Crime report for 3/1/2012 - 3/30/2012

Not saying that there aren't worse areas. But, you have to be careful that you don't give the impression that any area is crime free.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:31 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Please keep this about the news topic. This is not the place to post links to political websites for candidates running for office. Posting such links are considered soliciting which is not allowed per the ToS.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:27 AM

287 posts, read 589,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I think the problem is that there is crime everywhere. For example, during the month of March thus far, just in the immediate southern Sarasota area, you see all of this...

Not saying that there aren't worse areas. But, you have to be careful that you don't give the impression that any area is crime free.
For the immediate central Bradenton area, for the same time period you see all of this...

Crime report for 3/1/2012 - 3/31/2012

What's alarming about this are the number of assaults:

Trend Report for 3/1/2012 - 3/31/2012

Old 03-31-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:

Most of the crimes in your southern Sarasota link are for shoplifting -A BIG difference in the crime type.

Trend Report for 3/1/2012 - 3/30/2012

Old 03-31-2012, 08:36 AM

That's my point. There are issues everywhere yet most people live happily and safely most of the time. I'd love to see it improve as I know you would but I think it is important to let people know that there are no panaceas. Focusing on relative differences is somewhat misleading and self-deluding when there is still plenty of crime all around you.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:03 AM

Let's say you're taking a long walk on the sidewalk of a busy street with many stores.

Are you saying in this scenario, this focusing on differences is misleading?

Wouldn't you feel safer walking down that street knowing that there are more shoplifters in the stores you pass by, then say, walking on a similar street where there are less shoplifters but much more assaulters?

Look at the trend pie charts. There is a real difference in the severity of the crime types.

It may make one feel less inclined to walk one but not the other.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Selectively posting only negative stories from a newspaper about a community does not give a fair or realistic picture of that community.

If you want to play that game, I could post several negatives stories from the Sarasota paper today with headlines such as:

Shawn Tyson found guilty in murders of 2 British tourists

30 year old Sarasota man attempted to choke a 5 year old

15 prescription fraud accounts for Sarasota man

More charges filed against Sarasota kidnapping suspect

North Port man accused of sexually assaulting girl

Port Charlotte family grew hallucinogenic mushrooms

Sarasota and Bradenton are large metro areas. Crime will occur. No community is perfect, not even Disney World. I've lived in the Sarasota - Bradenton area for almost 30 years and have never been a victim of crime, although my work takes me all over both communities into all sorts of neighborhoods. I have many friends scattered throughout the area, living in different neighborhoods of diverse price points. Of those friends, only 1 has experienced a crime, someone took a GPS that he left in his unlocked SUV while parked on a public street.

I wonder why someone would go to such lengths to try to paint a one sided, negative picture of a particular area??

The newspapers also have positive and upbeat stories about Bradenton.

For example, in today's paper is the following story about how Benderson is expanding their commercial footprint in Bradenton in several locations. Today's story included the following comments:

"These great retailers now see vibrancy in west Bradenton," said Mark Chait, executive director of leasing for Benderson. "Marshalls and Fresh Market are very studious and cautionary where they grow, and for them to see that potential really speaks to the area."

Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2012/03/29/3968354/benderson-development-expands.html#storylink=cpy

Successful retail chains like Marshalls and Fresh Market do extensive, unbiased research and fact finding before committing major funds and expanding into a community, especially considering the current economy, and they think Bradenton is a good place to invest their money.

By the way, Benderson is also investing major money to build an upscale mall on University Parkway in north Sarasota county, less than a mile from the south end of Lakewood Ranch. Construction is finally supposed to start this year with a planned opening sometime in late 2013.
You say, "I wonder why someone would go to such lengths to try to paint a one sided, negative picture of a particular area??"

Bradenton crime areas are a few times larger than the Sarasota crime areas (more spread out than localized).

So there you have it- It's not a painted, one sided picture. It may appear that way because there are many more assault based crimes in the news than shoplifting crimes.

Confirm this for yourself with the Sheriffs of both towns, incident by incident, type by type, etc., within the same time period. We confirmed this. We wish we were wrong.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:21 AM

I already said what I said.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:23 AM

164 posts, read 356,057 times
Quote:
I already said what I said.

Kudos to you and Sunshine Rules for being the voices of reason on this thread. I think we can reasonably say that this topic has now been discussed ad nauseam but I suspect it will not stop.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:52 AM

ALL news topics from all sources -newspapers, news channels, etc. are discussed ad nauseam.

Kudos to the aforementioned news givers for being the voices- informing us of what happens in our communities.

We concur -crime news from these sources will never stop but can be gradually diminished with thorough police work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area