Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:30 PM

183 posts, read 534,124 times

Advertisements

I am getting a boat soon, most likely a 19ft Center Console. I will be towing and launching the boat, and live in the Palmer Ranch area. What are some boat ramps in that area. I see there is one in Vamo, but looks like it's for kayaks only. Is the 10th st ramp my best bet? Or Turtle Beach? Also, how are the crowds this time of year? Available parking?

I grew up fishing, but on the Great lakes, so fishing the gulf and Sarasota bay is a new experience. What are some good areas to catch fish and get a feel for the water? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 02:42 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
I pretty much used 10th Street most of the time. It's a nice facility but it can be a zoo, though. The county has a website: Boat Launches that shows the different county ramps. I have used the City Island one, too, but it was really small...at least back then.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:45 PM

547 posts, read 926,622 times
Personally, while I want to give my opinion with a simple answer, I think it's a bit more complicated. You are right about the Vamo ramp, it's best for kayaks and PWC's.
10th street is the best bet for boating in the Sarasota Bay area.Just make sure to park in the ramp lot and not the Van Wezel lot as you can be ticketed. My advice is to get there early this time of year.Another suggestion is to take a drive without your boat to check out the ramps beforehand.

City Island is a nice ramp, but you have to fight the traffic over the Ringling Bridge / St Armands area this time of year. Summer would be fine.

There are other ramps to the south if you choose to boat down there, and with the price of fuel it might be a good option to trailer down that way.

Speaking of fuel there are stations that sell "recreation fuel". That is fuel without ethanol. I highly suggest using that even though it's a bit more.

Fishing in the gulf and bay are day and night, two very different types of angling. If you are serious about fishing my suggestion would be to hire a guide. You will learn more in a day than you would in a long time of doing it yourself.
Good luck, have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaptrex View Post
I am getting a boat soon, most likely a 19ft Center Console. I will be towing and launching the boat, and live in the Palmer Ranch area. What are some boat ramps in that area. I see there is one in Vamo, but looks like it's for kayaks only. Is the 10th st ramp my best bet? Or Turtle Beach? Also, how are the crowds this time of year? Available parking?

I grew up fishing, but on the Great lakes, so fishing the gulf and Sarasota bay is a new experience. What are some good areas to catch fish and get a feel for the water? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-22-2012, 06:25 PM

Thanks so far. What rigs is everyone using? Looks like DOA shrimp is a popular one.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:46 PM

209 posts, read 452,531 times
Hi - I live on Longboat and just bought a kayak about a month ago and decided to hire two different guides who both fish from a kayak. I found it very helpful whether you were a boater or yakker.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks so far. What rigs is everyone using? Looks like DOA shrimp is a popular one.
It depends on a few things. First, although I use nothing but artificials, I'll admit that live bait will kick the you-know-what out of artificials most of the time. Second, it depends on what you are fishing for, when, and where. I've caught stuff on DOA shrimp but it is tough. I've had a lot more luck with other soft plastics. I really like the hard plastics, too, especially for top water first thing around dawn. Mirrolure has a bunch that have worked for me. During kingfish season, I used to troll outside the beaches with a mirror sided Yozuri plug and did really well with that. And, Macs love a silver spoon with a wire leader.

If you decide to use live bait, select (large shrimp) can get you some huge reds like nothing else will. Or, you can learn to cast a net and chum up a variety of live bait that way.

Try www.capmel.com for loads of articles, forums, and information.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
It depends on a few things. First, although I use nothing but artificials, I'll admit that live bait will kick the you-know-what out of artificials most of the time. Second, it depends on what you are fishing for, when, and where. I've caught stuff on DOA shrimp but it is tough. I've had a lot more luck with other soft plastics. I really like the hard plastics, too, especially for top water first thing around dawn. Mirrolure has a bunch that have worked for me. During kingfish season, I used to troll outside the beaches with a mirror sided Yozuri plug and did really well with that. And, Macs love a silver spoon with a wire leader.

If you decide to use live bait, select (large shrimp) can get you some huge reds like nothing else will. Or, you can learn to cast a net and chum up a variety of live bait that way.

Try www.capmel.com for loads of articles, forums, and information.
So, a live shrimp on a *** head (color depending on clarity)would be my best option until I get used to this type of fishing? My problem is how much of a pita live bait is. I think I will fish the first few weeks in the bay, then as the water warms, head to the gulf.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
So, a live shrimp on a *** head (color depending on clarity)would be my best option until I get used to this type of fishing? My problem is how much of a pita live bait is. I think I will fish the first few weeks in the bay, then as the water warms, head to the gulf.
No, I personally wouldn't use a *** head with a shrimp. You could use a little split shot to make casting easier but a select shrimp weighs enough to cast pretty far. Use very light tackle, I like braided line (10-15lbs) and flourocarbon leader. You can hook them thru the tail or under the horn but don't hit the dark spot. They will swim around naturally and you'll get hit. I haven't used the circle hooks (I use artificials) but they are supposed to be very good. If you don't have a live well, you might want to make or buy one. I've seen people put cold packs in the water to allow more O2 saturation.

You can catch fish almost anywhere (in theory) but if you concentrate on the potholes (light color sandy areas surrounded by grass on the flats) at low tide and mangrove shorelines and oyster beds during incoming tides, you should do well.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:35 PM

^Thanks for the insight, i'm headed out in the morning. Going to try some gulp shrimp on a *** head, eventually I'll try the live shrimp.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:00 PM

These: Gulp | Berkley Fishing with a worm hook is easier to fish to me because I don't have the patience to fish a shrimp. You should work it very slowly (think like a shrimp) but you can work a shad like a bait fish. Either way, good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area