Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 11:03 AM

188 posts, read 331,978 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the Port Charlotte area, but would love the opinions of folks on the Sarasota forum as well. Thanks in advance!

Hi All, First time poster, long time reader.

My husband has an opportunity to transfer to Florida, specifically working in the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area. I work from home and can take my job with me so employment is not an issue (fortunatley!!!) for us. We love the idea of getting out of snowy winters and being closer to his brother who lives in Palm Bay, Fl. What I am concerned about is moving to what seems like a horribly depressed area (low jobs, high forclosure, high crime and drug use, low quality schools) according to everything I've read. Having said that, I'd still like to learn more about the area to see if it's someplace we could fit in. Is it as bad as it sounds?

We are in our 40s and have 2 toddlers heading to school in 2013 so we'd be interested in an area with good schools. We currently live in a very family-friendly, low crime, middle to upper-middle class suburb with newer homes and love it here. It has seen it's share of foreclosed homes too, but most seem to be occupied again. Something similar would be ideal. We intend to rent at first.

What cities/areas can you recommend that sound a little something like what I've described and what price range should I expect to rent a home for there (3br/2ba min)? It seems like fenced yards are hard to come by around there, but we'd prefer it if we could find an area that allows them for our children and 2 doxies (I'm nervous about all the water/canals around).

Not knowing the amount of traffic in the area, how far is too far away to live with a reasonable commute. Sarasota? Bradenton? I should mention, my husband has a home office, but services different stores around the area he's assigned (Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda and surrounding) so the "commute" would be different every day of the week. Being near the beach isn't really a factor for us. Schools, housing, safety, community and standard of living matter most to us.

Sorry if I sound like a Debbie-downer. Just wanting to learn as much as I can before we pursue this opportunity any further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 11:17 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,513 times
I can't answer your Pt. Charlotte question (I live in Englewood about 20 minutes north) but can say about doxy's: we live on a canal and our neighbors down the street have a mini-doxy and she goes on his boat.

We also have friends in Delaware who live on the bay with a seawall and they have always had doxy's. True they are not good at swimming but buy a doggy life vest until they learn about the water. Your kids should learn how to swim too if you will be living on a canal. Just good sense. Kids around here are water babies. Canal homes should also have a ladder attached just in case someone falls in so they have a way to get back up.

I have NEVER seen or even heard of anyone falling in a canal by accident.
In my opinion Englewood is a very safe place to live. Check the FDLE sexual predator website to make sure before you rent or buy where the bad ones are.

P.S. realtors will tell you nothing about crime because they don't want to be held liable. We called the local sheriff and asked about our neighborhood before we bought. They told the truth, "safe".

Old 03-23-2012, 11:58 AM

36 posts, read 83,904 times
My husband and I have family in Sarasota and we visit often. We are in Sarasota this weekend.

I remember 10-15 years ago I would look forward to visiting Sarasota, and today I dislike everything about the place! It used to be a great little city with down to Earth weirdos, but now everyone is so fake here. All the store fronts were transformed into opulent cafes. It is too expensive for my tastes. I think that people who are truly wealthy, will think this is too expensive and snooty feeling. Where did all these fake-rich people come from? I'm not buying in to this new Sarasota. I like how it is a popular vacation destination, but the "locals" rub me like it's this mediocre kind of fako-chic competition. It's swanky for a town of Baby Boomers living on Social Security and Medicaid. Sometimes I see a few younger people in Sarasota that look local and cool, but they look sad and bored. Sarasota paints a picture like it is a corporate hide-a-away for narcissistic Baby Boomers. These people make me feel sick.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:22 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesaw View Post
My husband and I have family in Sarasota and we visit often. We are in Sarasota this weekend.

I remember 10-15 years ago I would look forward to visiting Sarasota, and today I dislike everything about the place! It used to be a great little city with down to Earth weirdos, but now everyone is so fake here. All the store fronts were transformed into opulent cafes. It is too expensive for my tastes. I think that people who are truly wealthy, will think this is too expensive and snooty feeling. Where did all these fake-rich people come from? I'm not buying in to this new Sarasota. I like how it is a popular vacation destination, but the "locals" rub me like it's this mediocre kind of fako-chic competition. It's swanky for a town of Baby Boomers living on Social Security and Medicaid. Sometimes I see a few younger people in Sarasota that look local and cool, but they look sad and bored. Sarasota paints a picture like it is a corporate hide-a-away for narcissistic Baby Boomers. These people make me feel sick.
Wow - I couldn't feel more opposite! We lived here years ago and HATED IT! Moved away in 1997 and never visited for 12 years. Fast forward to today, and it's the town I always hoped and dreamed it would become. I disagree 100% with everything you said, but we all have our opinions. For us, Sarasota is gorgeous and has it all, and there is no place else we would rather live.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:25 PM

398 posts, read 822,275 times
I agree with gypsychic. I visited Sarasota one time 15 years ago. Last summer after looking at the Atlantic (Ocean) side we came over to Sarasota and bought. No regrets. Love it.

Different strokes for different folks

Old 03-25-2012, 08:09 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
My daughter lives in Nokomis--north of Venice, and south of Sarasota--
she teaches at Pine View which is magnet school for gifted (2-12)
she says there are many good public schools in Sarasota county
her neighborhood seems to be very safe and has high % of full time residents
she is expecting first child in the summer and they have every intention of living in FL for foreseeable future--
they love the weather (for most of the year)
the laid back attitude most of the time
they don't like going into Sarasota if they can help it--much prefer to stay in the Venice/Nokomis area--
prefer flying out of Sarasota vs Tampa for example

she teaches with two friends who live in North Port--that area still has lot of undeveloped land--
both of them bought homes before the RE fall--they are probably both underwater significantly on their homes but are pretty happy with their neighborhoods I guess --
one of them lives in master planned subdivision with lot of vacant lots but they did built the elementary school promised for the subdivision and that was where her son started school
he is at Pine View now--

North Port is just pretty spread out and lacks retail--from what they say--so people have to drive a good distance to get what they want

My daughter and her friends are complaining now about the seniors/snow birds who are still around and driving them nuts with their dangerous driving and rude behavior in stores--
be prepared for that--
Many people who live here feel invaded during the winter when people migrate down from their homes up north...
and as someone who doesn't live there but has visited at various times of the year--I agree--
there are many rude people who come down and make life miserable
but their money helps drive the economy so they are a blessing and a curse...

fenced yards are difficult to come by--I asked on another post about neighborhoods allowing fences and had some RE agents post list of subdivisions in Sarasota area--you can see the thread

I can PM you a list of rental homes available with fences that someone with different RE agency sent me--short term rentals but some might go for year's lease as well
they take pets too but probably not cats
some are smaller than you might want

Old 03-26-2012, 07:57 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Sarasota's nice. I moved to Florida from New York last week. The weather certainly is a lot better but you have to get use to the random rain storms they have. I live in Port Charlotte right now but am looking for a place in Sarasota. I don't really know too much about the schools for your toddlers as I am college aged. The areas seem nice and I have seen a lot of people comment about the high crime rates in these areas, but, being from New York, the crime here certainly isn't bad in my eyes. My friend who has lived in Florida for about 15 years showed me some "ghetto" areas here and I pretty much laughed it off.

It's amazing how some people have never experience real "ghetto." Traffic down here isn't even bad at all like others will say. Sure, there are some traffic jams, but that's everywhere. People on these boards make it sound like the highways are clogged up like in LA during rush hour. Not from what I've experienced.

But the answer your question more directly, I don't think I'd move to Port Charlotte. I know I certainly wouldn't want to grow up here if I were younger. Sarasota is very hit and miss. Some areas are wealthy and then you could walk up another street and it'd be a bit trashy.

My information probably isn't going to be very helpful as it is from a out-of-stater-just-moving-to-Florida perspective.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:51 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,678,432 times
Florida is a transient state.. You will hear all sorts of good & bad opinions although the state is very vast in what it offers. Northern FL is quite different from Southern FL (in just about everything) I've never seen a state incite so much intense opinion. One persons hell here is anothers paradise. You have to visit & spend time here to see if it clicks for you.

My one piece of advice is with children, stick with Sarasota county schools.

Sarasota has its seedy areas (just like every city) but they are very easy to avoid. The city offers just about all kinds of lifestyles- beach, bay, historic, downtown, golf or rural country. If commute is going to be a biggie, I'd look for a property with easy access to I-75.

We've been here almost 5 years. We left the midwest- friends & family included- to see if Florida was for us. I'll admit, I've had spells of homesickness. I think that's normal. I will say, we've found our "perfect spot" in Sarasota & moved there last week. That takes time for most people. I think we've made it official, we're staying here probably forever I've visited at least a dozen cities/towns in FL & hands down, I would pick Sarasota over any of them.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:52 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
Florida is a transient state.. You will hear all sorts of good & bad opinions although the state is very vast in what it offers. Northern FL is quite different from Southern FL (in just about everything) I've never seen a state incite so much intense opinion. One persons hell here is anothers paradise. You have to visit & spend time here to see if it clicks for you.

My one piece of advice is with children, stick with Sarasota county schools.

Sarasota has its seedy areas (just like every city) but they are very easy to avoid. The city offers just about all kinds of lifestyles- beach, bay, historic, downtown, golf or rural country. If commute is going to be a biggie, I'd look for a property with easy access to I-75.

We've been here almost 5 years. We left the midwest- friends & family included- to see if Florida was for us. I'll admit, I've had spells of homesickness. I think that's normal. I will say, we've found our "perfect spot" in Sarasota & moved there last week. That takes time for most people. I think we've made it official, we're staying here probably forever I've visited at least a dozen cities/towns in FL & hands down, I would pick Sarasota over any of them.
Congratulations on finding and moving to your "perfect spot" Pixi! We also have a great spot that we love, and this summer will be four years in our little paradise. I'm a native Floridian, but my hubs and his family is from the midwest (Indiana) but he's never homesick for that! LOL And he knows I'll never move there either (not that he would ever want to)

Old 03-26-2012, 05:12 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,678,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Congratulations on finding and moving to your "perfect spot" Pixi! We also have a great spot that we love, and this summer will be four years in our little paradise. I'm a native Floridian, but my hubs and his family is from the midwest (Indiana) but he's never homesick for that! LOL And he knows I'll never move there either (not that he would ever want to)
Thanks Gypsy I finally feel at peace. It's funny how just a move of 15 miles can make all the difference! Funny, I'm from Indiana But I totally get it.. If it wasn't for our friends & all our family, I'm not sure how homesick I would be for it either, LOL... It's not a bad state but it certainly doesn't have great weather & the ocean going for it either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area