Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 08:33 AM

33 posts, read 41,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Right now there is a shortage of contractors and sub-contractors in Charlotte Co. Yes, you have to jump through hoops (ok, lets call it like it is - a tax). But if you bother to return calls, give good bids, show up and DO THE WORK, you can do well.

Example of a quote was $2500 to install a door where a window is. Basically a 'I don't want to do this' bid. And I haven't been able to get other contractors to respond for bids.

For that matter, builders are complaining about a lack of subs.
Restrain:

Does your door to window project require meeting up to date hurricane codes? I spent several hours getting a permit for my last sliding door job. I had to open block, drill the lintel and footer, epoxy #5 rebar in place, concrete the hollow block to full, all before I could begin the door installation.

Did it ever occur to you that perhaps it may be you with the unrealistic expectations of how long these jobs take and how much they cost? You'd be amazed at my ability to detect and screen out potential customers that are cheap and/or problematic.

I got a good spanking on my last one; probably made 9 bucks an hour. Even though the tenants had an adorable 3-year-old that spent the day "supervising" me, I don't think I'm inclined to do it again at that rate.

Builders are complaining about a lack of illegal aliens to do cheap work without complaint. There are plenty of good subs available; there is a shortage of builders willing to pay them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 11:16 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Right now there is a shortage of contractors and sub-contractors in Charlotte Co. Yes, you have to jump through hoops (ok, lets call it like it is - a tax). But if you bother to return calls, give good bids, show up and DO THE WORK, you can do well.

Example of a quote was $2500 to install a door where a window is. Basically a 'I don't want to do this' bid. And I haven't been able to get other contractors to respond for bids.

For that matter, builders are complaining about a lack of subs.
Here is an article I read yesterday discussing the impact of the labor shortage on new construction.

Housing labor shortage turning more severe, boosting home prices - LA Times

Old 07-27-2014, 12:22 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
Mr Conover is not wrong in saying there are good subs around, but there are also some lazy inefficient ones.

I am currently building 3 homes....and no I don't use cheap off the book illegal labor.

I met two subs ON SITE, and was promised a bid within 2-3 days. Nothing.
I stopped at a number of home sites, enquired if various subs wanted to bid, told yes I handed over plans...nothing at least 6 times.

when you do get bids back it takes ages, if you ask questions , replies take ages.

I contracted with a concreter/mason....right at the death he 'found' a bid error on his part and tried to jack up his bid by $8000. I got rid.

I contracted with a carpenter who told me he was desperate for work so would keep his bid low.he didn't and told me 'well I got some work now. instead of giving him all 3 homes I said you can do one.........his reply was no thanks I wanted all 3. I got rid.

I contracted with a roofer. he bid on 2 homes and I kept chasing the 3rd bid. the home was smaller than number 2 but his bid was way higher, I questioned it, it took him 2-3 weeks and he came back lower but still high proportionately. I queried it Again, he dropped the price a bit AND upped the bigger one saying he had made an error , I gave him the one house he was competitive on....he was suddenly too busy. I got rid.

I pay fair prices, don't cutthroat anyone, pay bills on time (I even drove round to one site on Friday to ask a sub if he WANTED paying, he nearly fainted)

The comment about illegals, well some of the teams I have had yes they have been Mexicans. I tell you what, those guys WORK. Longer hours, weekends, they get the job done.
I had a team of masons working to get a home ready as promised, they stayed late got the job done . I showed up with a crate of beer and thanked them all personally..................their boss told me after they were amazed as no one had ever done that before.

Treat them with respect and with luck you get some back...........

but boy this is a tough game in SW Fl as there are some really idiots

Old 07-27-2014, 03:00 PM

33 posts, read 41,651 times
I doubt I'll ever set foot on a new construction job again. I have this crazy idea that a builder should provide clean porta potties and safe temporary stairs to deliver finished countertops, but that's just me. Oh, and I'm not bringing my own generator either. We're using your electricity.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:23 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
That's fine...but don't say yes and then just use my plans for spare paper....(this isnt aimed at you BTW).

if you tell people what you Do do and Don't do. fine by me

Incidentally every one of my homes has a potti, cleaned regularly BUT its down to the users to also repsect it.

I wouldn't be wanting counters delivered until everything was flat and safe.

BUT I got to disagree, if there is power yes use it.If not every sub brings his own genny

Old 07-27-2014, 06:39 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
I think getting anyone for a remodeling job is like pulling teeth...
we started before July 4th with 3 people who came to check out master bath remodel...
Only one of them has really made an effort to follow through and we still don't have a real estimate...and I am very reluctant to use the ONLY person we can get to give us a bid to do the job...even if he might be good...just because we have no idea of cost factor...

That being said--some people do fine work and live up to their word in timely manner--

we had issue with having a live current in some yard lighting--we discovered it when we were adding new landscaping rock to our front beds...my husband thought because the light was dead that the current was cut off and tried to cut the wire and pull the old light out...It sparked on him--was lucky he wasn't really hurt...

We called the company who did electrical for us when we bought the house and added new lights and ceiling fans and some other stuff--Care Electric out of Sarasota...
Daryl said he would work us in and Friday there was knock at the door--Dennis the electrician was one who had worked for us before--said the power for light was likely from the pier light at front porch--turned off current to it, opened it up, clipped the outgoing line and tied off the wires, and closed the casing...
didn't charge us anything--although I am calling Monday and making sure my husband understood--I think he likely meant they would mail us a bill--which is fine...
but he did what he said--
some people are just more professional than others...
finding out which is which is SO frustrating though...

will go home to TX in couple of weeks and still not have this project confirmed in all likelihood.
if I could bring my guy from Texas I would do it in a heartbeat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area