Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 08:32 PM

25 posts, read 82,574 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me What is the best mulch to use in FL.? Is it true Black mulch burns up the plants? Do Hostas tolerate the heat and sun?
Any Info welcomed Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 11:08 PM

4,613 posts, read 7,532,666 times
Ah yes, you know it's spring in FL when you see the huge mountains of mulch stacked outside stores like Home Depot and Lowe's.

The most popular forms of mulch used in our part of FL are cypress and eucalyptus mulch. Both are resistant to termites.

A newer type of mulch, called mealeuca, is made from what is commonly called "punk" trees, which were imported from Australia and became a nuisance in FL. You are no longer allowed to plant them. This type of mulch is similar to cypress in resistance to termites.

Some people use pine bark, others use "red" mulch which is usually made from shredded (soft) pine pallets and colored red with iron oxide. I have had more than one pest inspector tell me not to use either of those types of much near the foundation of homes because they are more attractive to termites.

Most experts say to stay away from rubber mulch in our area.

If you need more detailed info, you can always contact the Sarasota county extension office at Sarasota County Extension Office - UF/IFAS Extension: Solutions for Your Life

They were a great source of information on what plants to grow, troubleshooting problems with plants, identifying bugs in our sod, etc when we first moved to Sarasota waaaaay back when.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:59 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
I refuse to use Cypress mulch because the Cypress tree is a native tree in wet areas and is a very, very slow grower. 100 year old trees are being cut down in wetlands in order to be made into mulch.

Go with the Meleluca mulch since that tree is a pest tree that is bad for Florida and cutting those trees for mulch is a good thing.

You can get free mulch loads from the county recycle center/waste area..call Waste Mgt for info. they don't deliver so you have to go with a pickup to get a load.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:01 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
I have a big ole pile o' mulch in my yard now that came from my big oak tree that split and fell. Going to take me months to use it up!

Before that I try to get the environmentally friendly stuff which I think they sell at the big box stores now? I have bought it from the small nursery near my home.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You can get free mulch loads from the county recycle center/waste area..call Waste Mgt for info. they don't deliver so you have to go with a pickup to get a load.
They also offer it at several parks in Sarasota: Compost and Mulch: UF/IFAS Sarasota County Extension

Old 03-27-2012, 10:34 PM

Thanks for all the Info I will be using the Links you all sent Thanks Again.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:34 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,546,075 times
If you are going to go with mulch, organic mulch is the best for the plants and the environment. There are pros and cons to different type of landscaping mulch, stones, shells, etc. Pest control companies say that mulch attracts termites and other insects. I went with stones because it is easier to care for and I don't have to keep replacing it like you do with the mulch.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 PM

TamRE do you get alot of weeds with the stone?

Old 03-29-2012, 04:38 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,546,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedi2323 View Post
TamRE do you get alot of weeds with the stone?
I only get weeds in one section of my landscaping that is always in the shade. The rest of it I just have to pick a weed here and there, not really too bad. My parents just switched from mulch to stone and they had it professionally done. The company put down the weed barrier protection under the stone. We didn't do that. We just sprayed the area with weed killer and let it set for a couple of days before putting the stone down. Not sure what is the best way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area