Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:01 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
We were quite popular when we moved to Florida years ago. Not that relatives didn't visit us before but let's face it, it was a vacation destination. I think my parent's enjoyed having relatives stay in our home and it was pretty fun for me as a teen. Once I moved to palm beach as an adult, that all changed. LOL. I value my privacy so I always suggest hotels or resorts for out of town guests. If you set up your boundaries early, they'll get the message.
It's funny you mention this. Recently we mentioned to friends in Port St. Lucie, FL that we might be down in that area. She welcomed us to PSL and not only provided the name of a B&B but also their address and phone #. I certainly got the point!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 11:22 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,372,326 times
I don't mind a day or two but beyond that is very draining. I type this as I hear my hubby telling his Aunt and Uncle on the phone they can stay a month............

I hope HE plans on doing the cooking.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:02 PM

Default Plus the Expense

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
It's funny you mention this. Recently we mentioned to friends in Port St. Lucie, FL that we might be down in that area. She welcomed us to PSL and not only provided the name of a B&B but also their address and phone #. I certainly got the point!!!
Plus, there is an expense to having house guests. Besides food, there is the water used and the energy to heat it, laundering sheets, towels, etc. It adds up.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:31 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,372,326 times
My biggest thing is that WE are not on vacation, still have a household to run, chores to do, shopping and things. The guests tend to think we are here only to entertain them at times. It's different when you LIVE here. I've already decided that there will be no waiting on people hand and foot. If you are going to stay here, help yourself!!!

Old 04-03-2012, 04:23 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,938,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
My biggest thing is that WE are not on vacation, still have a household to run, chores to do, shopping and things. The guests tend to think we are here only to entertain them at times. It's different when you LIVE here. I've already decided that there will be no waiting on people hand and foot. If you are going to stay here, help yourself!!!
Just what I wanted to add! LOL. Yes, I love that my friends/relatives can spend all day at the beach, and then want to go out at night for dinner and dancing but...I have to work in the morning! This can happen anywhere but especially here in Fla, you'll have guests who want to visit MULTIPLE cities during their trip and I don't have that kind of time to jet set with them. My cousin came to visit me a couple years ago and we hit Miami, Orlando and all over Palm Bch in a weekend. I was pooped by Monday morning. Its not always easy to coordinate your own time off if you several visitors in a given year.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:03 AM

House Guests

We no longer live in a tourist area, but I have noticed that there is an "exhaustion" factor to having houseguests, even very nice ones. We recently had DH's brother visit for a 4 day stay. He's the easiest of guests--not demanding, picks up after himself, is quiet and mostly pleasant. However, when he departed, I realized how tired I was. I think it's having another person (or persons) in one's home who are not usually there that lends a certain "on edge" feeling. You can't truly be yourself when someone extra is staying in your home.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:11 AM

513 posts, read 736,671 times
Default Thanks!

My granddaughter and her husband are in the Air Force stationed at Hurlburt Field FL, near Pensacola. They live off base in a nice three bedroom house with two baths in a subdivision--not 25 acres BTW. They are young airmen. They are renting this house.

One time recently his mother and father showed up with 13, yes, 13 people. The stepbrothers made a lot of charges on a Play Station and broke the showerhead in a bathroom--don't know how many of these people were family or friends. They won't put their foot down concerning considerate guest behavior. His uncle and his new girlfriend stayed last weekend; mother and grandparents are supposed to come this upcoming weekend. These all live within no more 4-5 hours away, easy driving distance.

Granddaughter is ready to move on base or try to hurry up an assignment to Japan!! Her husband is a "nice" guy and can't or won't be direct with these relatives/friends concerning visits almost every weekend. GD is trying to be nice, as well. Oh, they have an 18-month-old that is alternately spoiled or fed from the table by the folks .. Guess they're in denial about Covid!

Thanks for letting me vent--

Old 07-28-2020, 05:45 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,400,404 times
Well, this thread IS eight years old, but since you revived it -- I was just thinking about this. I've been here seven years and had the usual flurry of friends/relatives when I first came. I only have a 2BR/2BA with no sleeper sofa so it can't get too crazy. But things have changed for me, physically. I can't stand being cold. I keep my AC on 81 during the day and 79 at night. Most people are too hot at those settings, so I turn it down to 75....but I'm cold! Friends of mine from up north stay with their friends in St. Pete every year, but this year circumstances have changed. So they kiddingly (sort of) said they may need to stay with me a week in January. I don't know what to do. Just come out and tell them the AC situation and if they don't like it, find somewhere else?

Also, it's a big hassle with my two little dogs. They bark non-stop because they're so excited when people visit. Sometimes they calm down but one time they barked through the whole Super Bowl game when a friend was here. That's another reason I don't want people here. It's too stressful on me!

Last edited by Avalon08; 07-28-2020 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 07-28-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Well, this thread IS eight years old, but since you revived it -- I was just thinking about this. I've been here seven years and had the usual flurry of friends/relatives when I first came. I only have a 2BR/2BA with no sleeper sofa so it can't get too crazy. But things have changed for me, physically. I can't stand being cold. I keep my AC on 81 during the day and 79 at night. Most people are too hot at those settings, so I turn it down to 75....but I'm cold! Friends of mine from up north stay with their friends in St. Pete every year, but this year circumstances have changed. So they kiddingly (sort of) said they may need to stay with me a week in January. I don't know what to do. Just come out and tell them the AC situation and if they don't like it, find somewhere else?

Also, it's a big hassle with my two little dogs. They bark non-stop because they're so excited when people visit. Sometimes they calm down but one time they barked through the whole Super Bowl game when a friend was here. That's another reason I don't want people here. It's too stressful on me!
I hope you will explain to your friends the situation with the A/C and the dog and beg off. Plus, who knows if they could be carrying the Covid-19!

Old 07-29-2020, 12:32 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,400,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I hope you will explain to your friends the situation with the A/C and the dog and beg off. Plus, who knows if they could be carrying the Covid-19!
Well, they weren't coming til January but who knows what will be happening by that point. I have stayed with people where I was freezing and miserable the whole time. Conversely, I had a boyfriend back in the 00s who would turn his AC setting really high when he went to sleep (as in HOT) -- I guess he slept like a log and it didn't bother him. I, on the other hand, was dying...couldn't get to sleep the whole night. I finally snuck out to the living room and turned the temperature down. I couldn't see what he had it set on but I think he was being cheap about the whole thing! Anyway, in her later years, my mother had Raynaud's disease and couldn't take being cold. Hopefully I don't have the disease but otherwise I have turned into her in my old age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area