Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 04:25 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,350,082 times

Advertisements

Postal Service may close Tallevast mail processing center | HeraldTribune.com (click for full article)

"If it closed its Sarasota mail processing center, a move now being considered, the cash-strapped U.S. Postal Service would take local mail on a boomerang-like journey first to Tampa, then 140 miles south to Fort Myers, then back to Sarasota and Manatee counties again.

For the first time in 40 years, the national and local cost-cutting plan would mean customers would lose the overnight delivery they have become accustomed to, delaying for two to three days delivery of things like medications, bill payments and Netflix DVDs."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 05:47 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,358,289 times
Not a big deal unless you work there.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:01 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,350,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Not a big deal unless you work there.
Apparently business owners are concerned about it. It's also "not a big deal" if you're a realtor or someone involved in promoting the area -

Crowd criticizes proposed closing of Manatee postal center | HeraldTribune.com

Old 04-05-2012, 06:11 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,327,139 times
Here's the issue:

It is a business with a poor model, losing money. It must change what it's doing.

Rather than the absolutely never-ending constant complaining of people (not directed at the OP) that they cannot have "what they are accustomed to having," maybe we should all realize these are difficult times and adjust accordingly.

Every time the price of a stamp goes up a nickel, I hear people complaining. You're seriously complaining that someone will take your mail 3,000 miles for under fifty cents?!

What sort of world is that?

I have an idea: why doesn't the postal service just increase the price of a first class stamp to something more in line with what it is worth, like (GASP!) $3.00 or something?

I mean, I paid some teenager $5.00 to deliver my pizza half a mile the other night.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,487,504 times
from what I have read much of the trouble with the ufinancial situation of the UPSP began when it went into the new subsidized but autonomous form and had to kick start its pension plan for employees that it had to roll over with the company--
it had to PRE-fund an enormous amount of money into the employee pension plan--and continue to prefund at 100% obligation--totally unheard of for business entities--
which was a terrible mistake which almost dooms this postal service to failure--maybe that was the intention--to turn it over to private business--

Post Office in crisis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area