Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:42 AM

23 posts, read 33,625 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!!

I currently live in Northern Delaware and my husband and I along with our 5 year old son are looking to move to Florida. I was researching online good areas to move to on the Gulf Coast (I need warm weather all year!!) I was thinking the Sarasota area.

I am looking for advice, location and weather wise. I'm set on the schools!

My husband is concerned Hurricaine wise being on the coast line, also I was wondering if there are certain locations better for raising our son?

Thanks so much!!!
Carina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 10:29 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,748,988 times
Hi Carina. If you can be more specific about what you want to learn, I think you'll get a better response. There are great areas throughout the suncoast to live and raise a family but there are some that have an edge in one respect or another over others and, of course, no one area has it all. What are your wants/needs with respect to a neighborhood choice? Your budget? Features most important to you?

Old 03-11-2012, 12:34 PM

398 posts, read 822,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carinap1212 View Post
Hi everyone!!

I currently live in Northern Delaware and my husband and I along with our 5 year old son are looking to move to Florida. I was researching online good areas to move to on the Gulf Coast (I need warm weather all year!!) I was thinking the Sarasota area.

My husband is concerned Hurricaine wise being on the coast line, also I was wondering if there are certain locations better for raising our son?

Thanks so much!!!
Carina
What schools are you set on ?

Old 03-11-2012, 12:43 PM

4,621 posts, read 7,545,116 times
Hi Carina,

Since schools are a high priority with you, here's a site by the FL Dept of Education that gives you access to their rankings of all 67 school districts in the state of FL: School Accountability Report .

Sarasota and Manatee are the local counties for the Sarasota and Bradenton areas.

The local newspaper, the Sarasota Herald Tribune, ran a story in January that discusses how our school districts came out in the rankings, I posted a summary here on city-data at that time:
//www.city-data.com/forum/saras...s-schools.html

We've been very fortunate here in the Sarasota area of the gulf coast in respect to hurricanes. NOAA puts out statistics all the way back to 1900 as to what cities have been hit and how frequently by hurricanes. In FL, Miami has a 1 in 6 chance of getting hit by a hurricane in any year, while Daytona Beach further north has only a 1 in 50 chance. On the west coast of FL, Ft. Myers has a 1 in 11 chance of getting hit and the Tampa Bay area a 1 in 25 chance. The panhandle is also more vulnerable, with a 1 in 8 chance for Pensacola.

Tornadoes, floods, brush fires, blizzards, ice storms, hail, earthquakes.... I can't think of any state in the US that is free from the impacts of Mother Nature. I have a number of relatives and friends located in the midwest. They got off fairly easy this winter, but last winter it was snowstorm after snowstorm. I have photos my brother sent to me of 6 foot tall snow drifts in his driveway. Yeah, I think I'll take my chances and stick with our beautiful winters here in SW Florida.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:18 PM

Thank you for all your responses!!!

Features most important would be a family oriented neighborhood since I have a 5 year old. Somewhere close to parks and recreation, as we also have 2 dogs. We like to be outside alot, and the winters up here (although this winter was a mild one), keep us in alot. I hate the cold!!! Schools, I went onto great schools and reviewed the schools in the Sarasota, also from forums, I've heard Sarasota has some of the best schools in Florida, unless they were lying to get me there, lol just kidding! I would be looking for single homes also, not condos or townhomes.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:20 PM

287 posts, read 590,188 times
Quote:
Hi everyone!!

Thanks so much!!!
Carina
Real simple answer -->34238 The only one you can't lose on. Read my myriad of other posts for smart investment reasons.

The next best investment performer of 13 Sarasota zip codes.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:10 PM

Awesome! Thank you I will check out that zipcode!!!

Old 03-12-2012, 06:40 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,748,988 times
I'd be wary of online investment advice that guarantees that you can't lose. You might ask about the guarantee.

It's not Sarasota but you might want to look into Lakewood Ranch along with the other neighborhoods. It has everything you mentioned, and then some.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:00 PM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I'd be wary of online investment advice that guarantees that you can't lose. You might ask about the guarantee.

It's not Sarasota but you might want to look into Lakewood Ranch along with the other neighborhoods. It has everything you mentioned, and then some.
I second this advice^^^.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:17 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,801,062 times
Quote:
Look at this page:
Florida Hurricane Info
and the map of FL with probabilities based on history. Follow the link to a chart on the whole US and you will see that FL has the highest number but you have to put that in perspective. I am currently in NC, where we have had 25 that are on that chart (since 1900) and FL has had 57. Sounds like the odds are way worse in FL, right? Not so fast - FL has 1350 miles of coastline (580 Atlantic, 770 Gulf). NC has 300. Factor those in and any particular mile of the NC coast has way worse odds. (EDIT - by worse odds, I mean higher chance of a bad thing happening - any given mile of NC coast is more than twice as likely to have a hurricane land as a mile of FL coast)

Last edited by ReachTheBeach; 03-13-2012 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area