U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,632 times

Advertisements

My mother is retiring within a year, and we have decided we want to relocate to Florida from Kentucky. We absolutely love warm weather and the whole beachy atmosphere. I am currently 21 and my mother is in her early 50's. We've been "researching" different areas in Florida and like what we have heard about Sarasota/Venice. I found this site and thought it would be smart to get more info and opinions about this area from the actual residents.

We like towns with character I suppose. Lots of great seafood restaurants(we don't have those in KY lol), nice beaches, friendly people, unique shops and such. I'm a nature girl, so I would love places to hike, snorkel, etc. I'm not really into the "party scene" but I would like to live somewhere where I can meet people around my age. We also have dogs, so somewhere near a dog beach would be a huge plus.

Would Sarasota be a good place to continue looking at for relocation? Any info or even different places in Southwestern Florida we should take a look at are welcomed!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 04:17 AM

3,979 posts, read 9,589,741 times
Are you looking to rent or buy a home down here? Are you planning to obtain employment here or go to college? I assume you will be living with your mother.

Venice has character, a beach town feel, and unique shops downtown, but the average age is in the 60’s. There are not a lot of young people your age. http://venicegov.com/

Sarasota has a lot of cultural type activities as well as beaches. It is a very large city with a variety of living options, price ranges and population age ranges. http://www.sarasotagov.com/

The entire Southwest Florida area has a lot of beaches and parks. So you certainly can find things to do that you would enjoy in nature.

There is a dog beach in Venice. South Brohard Beach and Paw Park is located at 1600 Harbor Dr. S., Venice, FL. This park is for dog lovers. It has a fenced dog play yard, doggie drinking fountains, showers on decks for dogs only, fire hydrants and leash posts. The park is also adjacent to the only beach in Sarasota County that allows dogs to roam free. Dog lovers have declared this park and beach to be the best doggie park in the state.

Your best bet is to come down for a visit. Go to the different areas and see where you get a good feel and what areas fit within your price range for renting or buying. Employment is very hard to find in this area right now.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,632 times
I have already obtained my Associates degree, and I'm currently working at local marina. Once we move to Florida I may decide to go back for my Bachelors at some point. My older brother(he's 30) will be moving with us as well. He had a brain tumor removed a few years back, and it has left him slightly handicapped. We would be wanting to buy a home for sure, especially since we have dogs. My mother will be bringing in her retirement money every month, and my brother receives disability. I will be working as soon as a job becomes available.

My mother and I are planning to definitely make a trip down there probably early next year to get a feel of the area and such.

How are the crime rates? We are used to pretty high crime rates here in Western Kentucky, so we would like to live in a little bit better environment once we move. I know there's no "perfect" town, no matter where you are. However, it would be nice to feel safe going to the store after dark, and also safe walking around outside in the evenings.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 06-14-2012, 08:43 AM

1,939 posts, read 5,917,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasunshine90 View Post
I have already obtained my Associates degree, and I'm currently working at local marina. Once we move to Florida I may decide to go back for my Bachelors at some point. My older brother(he's 30) will be moving with us as well. He had a brain tumor removed a few years back, and it has left him slightly handicapped. We would be wanting to buy a home for sure, especially since we have dogs. My mother will be bringing in her retirement money every month, and my brother receives disability. I will be working as soon as a job becomes available.

My mother and I are planning to definitely make a trip down there probably early next year to get a feel of the area and such.

How are the crime rates? We are used to pretty high crime rates here in Western Kentucky, so we would like to live in a little bit better environment once we move. I know there's no "perfect" town, no matter where you are. However, it would be nice to feel safe going to the store after dark, and also safe walking around outside in the evenings.

Thanks for all your help!
I love Bradenton and the University Park area, however i think taking your interests into consideration, I think the Sarasota area would be a great start. Myakka State park is way East, but offers lots of activities surrounding nature such as nature walks, airboat rides and such. There is a plethora of wildlife out there. You would also be close to Oscar Scherer State Park near Venice which hosts bird watching events and other groups to be a part of.

Bradenton has nice beaches and all, but Sarasota seems to have more organized events and such:

Brohard Paw Park (Dog Friendly Beach)
For dog lovers, noteworthy in Venice is The Brohard Paw Park (1600 Harbor Dr. S., 941-861-9830), with dog drinking fountains, showers on decks for dogs only, fire hydrants and leash posts. The park is also adjacent to the only beach area in the county where dogs are allowed to roam free. Dog lovers have declared this park and beach to be the best dog friendly park in the state.

Caspersen Beach
The longest beach in Sarasota County, is located south of Venice Airport on Harbor Drive. It has been left in its natural state, uncultivated, windswept, and secluded. This is an exceptionally good area to look for and find pre-historic sharks teeth as well as enjoyable shelling. It is also site of the annual Sharks Tooth and Seafood Festival.

Venice Municipal Beach
An excellent place to find sharks teeth and other fossilized material and attracts divers to its coral reef about one quarter mile offshore.

Hope this was helpful, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area