Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 06:09 PM

37 posts, read 53,339 times

Advertisements

Spending time with family on siesta key in Aug. Looking for places to eat outside of the village nearby. Any suggestions or just some place to "must see" from out of state people. thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 07:24 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,427,722 times
Folks from all over eat at this Amish restaurant in Sarasota. It is not far from Siesta Key. It is in the heart of a small Amish community in Sarasota. They seat at least 500 people in this restaurant and the food is top notch. They have a large in-house bakery where you can buy pies and breads and cakes. They have a gift shop upstairs.

Here is the link to their web site. It is called Troyers Dutch Heritage

Troyer Corporation

Old 04-19-2012, 08:45 AM

157 posts, read 388,540 times
I live in Siesta Key and frequently eat at the restaurants in the gulf gate area and downtown and Libby's in 'Southside Village' as they always accomodate my 2 year olds taste. Have a fun vacation!

Old 04-19-2012, 09:20 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flviking View Post
Spending time with family on siesta key in Aug. Looking for places to eat outside of the village nearby. Any suggestions or just some place to "must see" from out of state people. thank you in advance.
Walt's Seafood and Fish Market is a must. Best seafood I've had anywhere.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:44 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,671,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
We've been meaning to try this. Figured we would wait until after season because every time we go by, there is a line out the door!

Old 04-19-2012, 07:37 PM

37 posts, read 53,339 times
don't stop now, there has to be more favorites.. shout out your spot.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:49 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,336,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
This is good advice.

No need to go to Dutch Heritage, unless you REALLY need to eat A LOT and really love a cross between Denny's and a highway rest area. Stay away from Phillipi Creek (I'm sure someone will tell you it's great, but it's not).

Go to Ophelia's for brunch.

Go to Vizen in Gulf gate for some AMAZING sushi.

Go to the search function for much much more on the subject.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:03 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
We do go to Phillipi Creek for fried oysters and that's it however my husband told me the health guy said they have some issues. We always dilute with plenty of Bloody Marys.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:16 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,336,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
No need to go to Dutch Heritage, unless you REALLY need to eat A LOT and really love a cross between Denny's and a highway rest area.
I should also have mentioned that Yoder's is infinitely better, and virtually right across the street.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:55 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,410,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I should also have mentioned that Yoder's is infinitely better, and virtually right across the street.
One of my business contacts lives in St. Pete and she recommended Yoders as well. I'm from Lancaster County, PA, so I've had plenty of Amish / PA Dutch-style food in my day, so we sought out other places while on vacation. Still would like to try out Yoders next time though. It sounds like a great option to add some variety.

We mostly just did day trips into Sarasota and packed a lunch for the beach so we didn't eat out much there. We did kinda like Tijuana Flats though. It's a chain but has a fun atmosphere and some nice choices of hot sauce. The hostess/server girls were very pretty, and very nice folks too.

We also enjoyed Barnacle Bill's Seafood. We went to the downtown Sarasota location for lunch, but I think there is another one in town closer to Siesta Key.

Someone on the beach told me there was a good oyster bar on Siesta Key, but we didn't check it out. Sorry, don't remember the name of the restaurant or the person on the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area