U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 09:56 PM

8 posts, read 19,210 times

Advertisements

I am a 3 year RN, my husband is a carpenter/handyman. We have 2 kids, 5 and 4. Tired of cold winters and our old large expensive farmhouse, we are seriously thinking of moving to Florida. Spent some time in Sarasota recently and liked it. Housing is not a big deal, except to be in a good school district. I keep hearing about the wage difference from up here (IL) to there. Just how much of a difference are we talking, and if housing is less, I can afford to make a little less to move somewhere we will have better weather and quality of life in general. My base wage for day shift is $26.55. How does that compare to the Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice area?
Thank You (a newbie!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 05:32 AM

3,979 posts, read 9,089,556 times
Most of the RN’s here work or start out on an as needed basis temporary or part time. Pay varies depending on what type of facility and what type of RN work you are looking for. You can check out the local hospitals but there are also RN jobs in nursing homes, rehab facilities, etc. You can search the Internet for the facilities and check with their web sites under employment, careers or human resources for job openings. You would have to get your license in Florida. Here is the web site: http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/nursing/

As far as a carpenter/handyman, your husband would either have to work for someone else or get his license to work here. Here is the web site: https://www.myfloridalicense.com/intentions2.asp?SID=
Have him look at the requirements under Construction Industry. Some counties have a separate occupational or maintenance license. He would need to check with Sarasota County for that. He can try Handyman Connection for employment. http://sarasota.handymanconnection.com/

Employment web sites: www.heraldtribune.com, www.jobfocus.com, www.indeed.com, www.careerbuilder.com, www.simplyhired.com, www.craigslist.com.

Sarasota County has a good school system - Sarasota County Schools, Home

Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 AM

8 posts, read 19,210 times
Thanks for the advice! I've already sent in to obtain my Florida RN license. ($220 and some paperwork and fingerprints) My husband has been self employed for 20+years, so we are very familiar with licensing for contractors. Not sure about the amount of work actually available. Up here, he has gone from building 30+homes a year to remodeling and building decks and garages. Good to hear schools are good, that puts fewer restrictions on where to live!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:30 AM

3,979 posts, read 9,089,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebtaylor67 View Post
Thanks for the advice! I've already sent in to obtain my Florida RN license. ($220 and some paperwork and fingerprints) My husband has been self employed for 20+years, so we are very familiar with licensing for contractors. Not sure about the amount of work actually available. Up here, he has gone from building 30+homes a year to remodeling and building decks and garages. Good to hear schools are good, that puts fewer restrictions on where to live!
My boyfriend and I moved here from Syracuse, NY. He had his own remodeling business up there for 18 years. And when we moved to Florida he had to get his residential contractor license. He worked for Handyman Connection while taking the courses and scheduling the exam. It helped to learn where to buy all the materials and what to charge because it is very different here than in NY.

It didn't take him long to get established. Most of his work is word of mouth but he continues to advertise in the phone book and the newspaper. He likes to be in the phone book because there are still a lot of older people down here that don't use the computer and they look in the phone book. He likes to keep advertising in the newspaper under the business and service directory because people recommend him and if they no longer see his name in the paper, they may think he is no longer in business. So many contractors have gone out of business and a lot of "handymen" can't get enough work. My boyfriend works by himself for himself and he gets calls all the time from people wanting to work for him.

He works in Charlotte County and Sarasota County. The majority of his work is in Punta Gorda Isles. He has to get a license in each county and city even though he is a State Certified Residential Contractor. Each county and city want their piece of the pie too. He has to renew his license every two years.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:08 PM

10,986 posts, read 9,699,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebtaylor67 View Post
I am a 3 year RN, my husband is a carpenter/handyman. We have 2 kids, 5 and 4. Tired of cold winters and our old large expensive farmhouse, we are seriously thinking of moving to Florida. Spent some time in Sarasota recently and liked it. Housing is not a big deal, except to be in a good school district. I keep hearing about the wage difference from up here (IL) to there. Just how much of a difference are we talking, and if housing is less, I can afford to make a little less to move somewhere we will have better weather and quality of life in general. My base wage for day shift is $26.55. How does that compare to the Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice area?
Thank You (a newbie!)
Also remember that your living expenses will probably drop. My power bill for the month of February was $67 and there is no heating bill. It's electric.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:03 AM

1,939 posts, read 5,767,367 times
I would most definitely secure at least one income before moving, and the Bradenton area is great for kids. Try areas like Creekwood, Tara, University Park also. These area safe, clean, great people and A schools. Theseareasoffer close access to Manatee Menorial Hospital, Sarasota Memorial, and Blake in West Bradenton. The Above areas are in East Braxenton..well, easteish I should say. Theynarecloseto the expressway Also.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:41 PM

53 posts, read 114,109 times
I live in Sarasota and quite frankly would rather in live in SRQ than in Bradenton as far as raising kids goes. I also work at SMH, which is a great place to work for. I'm not an RN, but it would be worth checking out their website to see what job postings there are and the pay range. There are many good school districts to look into in Sarasota County, but try staying south of Fruitville Road or Lakewood Ranch area is good if you do consider the Bradenton area. Good Luck on your search!

Old 06-14-2012, 07:16 AM

1,939 posts, read 5,767,367 times
Mote Ranch, Tara, University Park, Barrington Ridge, Panther Ridge are also good areas I. Bradenton, among many others.do your homework and look for a long time before buying if you can. Home prices arent rising in this area just yet, and it will onlybe to your advantage to look into both Sarasota and Bradenton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area