U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:25 PM

16,079 posts, read 37,988,143 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm sure it does...somewhere!

But from reading this forum, it seems most everyone is quite content with living in Sarasota, and have no real desire to go elsewhere, or to slam this particular area.

It's unique! I don't think I've ever seen a forum anywhere on city-data, that didn't have it's own resident hater, or two.

That being said, IF you were to think of a downside to Sarasota, what might it be?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 04:34 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,319,648 times
Oh trust me, we have our haters... But usually the ranting is so extreme or over the top, it's pretty easy to dismiss them. Or they don't even live here or have spent only a few days here & think they are now an authority on the area. Sarasota is not perfect but no place is. Anyone coming here thinking it will be perfect or that moving here will fix all their "life issues" will be sorely disappointed....Then there are the ones who b*tch & moan that FL is TOO HOT Yes, FL is hot in the summers, I'm amazed that's not painfully obvious to people before they move here. The rest of the year is pretty darn amazing though.

Yes, it gets crowded during season... that's the price you pay for living in a beautiful coastal city where so many people love to come & visit. The piece of advice I keep giving & many others do to- rent here first & get to know the area. It can save you a lot of heartache. You will find that you will 1. realize it's not for you or 2. realize where you thought you wanted to live in Sarasota is not where you really want to live (this can only be achieved by giving yourself time to get to know the city & it's many unique neighborhoods)

Yes there are haters but that's not unique to Sarasota- it's quite prevelant on the Florida forum in general. I never understood why people feel the need to come on here & froth at the mouth- just move. You are not happy, it's evident but for the majority of us who are, it gets old.. Then again, there are the haters who don't even live here but take the time to come on here & tell all us residents how much our city sucks..for that, I chalk up to immaturity & an overall bitterness at life. Those types of posts are obvious. It's ok to be critical or give an honest opinion but let's keep it real. And there are polite ways to do it..

Old 04-25-2012, 07:52 AM

15,833 posts, read 33,165,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
Oh trust me, we have our haters... But usually the ranting is so extreme or over the top, it's pretty easy to dismiss them. Or they don't even live here or have spent only a few days here & think they are now an authority on the area. Sarasota is not perfect but no place is. Anyone coming here thinking it will be perfect or that moving here will fix all their "life issues" will be sorely disappointed....Then there are the ones who b*tch & moan that FL is TOO HOT Yes, FL is hot in the summers, I'm amazed that's not painfully obvious to people before they move here. The rest of the year is pretty darn amazing though.

Yes, it gets crowded during season... that's the price you pay for living in a beautiful coastal city where so many people love to come & visit. The piece of advice I keep giving & many others do to- rent here first & get to know the area. It can save you a lot of heartache. You will find that you will 1. realize it's not for you or 2. realize where you thought you wanted to live in Sarasota is not where you really want to live (this can only be achieved by giving yourself time to get to know the city & it's many unique neighborhoods)

Yes there are haters but that's not unique to Sarasota- it's quite prevelant on the Florida forum in general. I never understood why people feel the need to come on here & froth at the mouth- just move. You are not happy, it's evident but for the majority of us who are, it gets old.. Then again, there are the haters who don't even live here but take the time to come on here & tell all us residents how much our city sucks..for that, I chalk up to immaturity & an overall bitterness at life. Those types of posts are obvious. It's ok to be critical or give an honest opinion but let's keep it real. And there are polite ways to do it..
Excellent post by PixiStix - I wholeheartedly agree. My husband and I totally love living here, although we HATED it when we lived here the first time (1982 - 1997). Back then there was little here but really old, really conservative people, the downtown was completely dead, and frankly other than the beaches/museums just wasn't "vibrant." We moved away and today it is a completely different place. We returned in 2008. Demographics have changed immensely, the city is very cosmopolitan with a lot of people from all over the world and US, the retirees coming here are younger and "hipper", we have the best walkable downtown in Florida (IMO) for a smallish city) and just more and better of everything I wished it had the first time. Right now, there is no where else we would rather live.

I rarely focus on the "cons" side of things, it's not my nature especially when there is so much positive. The cons for me would be the traffic in season, but more importantly the crazy drivers we get especially during that time - retirees, vacationers, day-tripper, partiers, whatever. The officials that run this city make stupid decisions all the time, but that's probably universal - LOL! Can't think of much else that is a "con" for me - sure summer is hot, but it's a small price to pay for beautiful weather the rest of the year and lots of lush, tropical foliage.

Regarding "haters": Florida and California forums have the most haters/bashers of any other forums here (that I read regularly) These are probably the two most popular states in the US, and besides reasons that Pixi already gave, one theory I have is that many are just jealous because either 1) they could not make it here or 2) they are trying to justify why they left or couldn't move here at all. Sometimes when they leave they come back to bash just to make themselves feel better about leaving. And guess what? A good number of them come BACK to Florida with their tail between their legs after a few years, or even months. I have been on these forums since 2007 and have seen it time and again.

Anyway, just adding my .02 cents to Pixi's.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:15 AM

1,643 posts, read 3,005,936 times
I have lived all over the US, and I absolutely love living in Sarasota.

That said, of course there a few downsides. Some are small and some are more substantial.

Small downsides:

**Summer is too damned long. Shave a month off summer, and it's fine with me.

**The food just sucks. It's just plain not great. Even the fine dining is a let down, generally.

**High season is a bit of a drag, crowd-wise. I wouldn't mind as much if so many of them weren't so rude. But that's what you get when you live in a seasonal town.

Big downsides:

**If you're from the northeast or midwest as so many of us are, you are just far enough away from your home town to feel isolated from friends and family. It seems to bother the ladies more than the men, which in turn bothers the men.

That's all I have for you.

Pros outweigh the cons by probably ten to one for me.

I don't have enough time to list all of the positives.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:40 AM

419 posts, read 815,608 times
I love the posters who say, "it'd be great, but it's too hot..."

As if no one ever pointed that out. lol

I always tell people to do what I've done for years, in prep for moving here:

Visit at the hottest time of the year, for as long as you can. I always make sure to
come down in August....and at first it seemed really...HOT, and HUMID, and 'buggy',
but I got used to it.

Everything else, to me, is paradise in southwest FL.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:18 AM

1,643 posts, read 3,005,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerby View Post
I love the posters who say, "it'd be great, but it's too hot..."

As if no one ever pointed that out. lol

I always tell people to do what I've done for years, in prep for moving here:

Visit at the hottest time of the year, for as long as you can. I always make sure to
come down in August....and at first it seemed really...HOT, and HUMID, and 'buggy',
but I got used to it.

Everything else, to me, is paradise in southwest FL.
It's funny, but you sort of said "It's too hot (at first), but it's great."

Seems like a variation on a theme.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:24 PM

67 posts, read 136,087 times
I agree with the other posters, the positives are too numerous to list...

I would say that the biggest downside is the additudes of our residents. I came here from the west and we "out west" greet EVERYONE we pass in public. That was the hardest thing to get used to. I have learned just to look past ppl and not speak unless in required situations, and that is REALLY hard for me.

As for the heat, it is not as hot as the southwest by far. And here if it gets a little uncomfortable you can always take a dip in the refreshing gulf.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:13 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,651,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccright View Post

I would say that the biggest downside is the additudes of our residents. I came here from the west and we "out west" greet EVERYONE we pass in public. That was the hardest thing to get used to. I have learned just to look past ppl and not speak unless in required situations, and that is REALLY hard for me.

As for the heat, it is not as hot as the southwest by far. And here if it gets a little uncomfortable you can always take a dip in the refreshing gulf.
Interesting. I've found it to be just the opposite. I can't get over how often total strangers greet each other with a hello. Esp when walking the Ringling Bridge, or in many of the city parks, for example at the Bayfront. Maybe inside the gated communites or neighborhoods it is different, but to me sarasota is very friendly.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:55 PM

45 posts, read 79,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccright View Post

That surpises me and I would love to know where you lived out west that was that way. I lived in the Phoenix area for a while and most of the people there were totally unfriendly. We moved into our new neighborhood and house and only one couple even cared that we were there.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:02 PM

45 posts, read 79,103 times
What could you helpful southwest Floridians tell me about Punta Gorda? I have heard that it is ideal if you are into boating because of the many canals through the city. Is it a nice place to live?

I am still really trying to figure out which part of Florida would be the best fit for me to move to.
Anyone live in Punta Gorda or know much about it?
-Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area