Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,549 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the area and are looking at grabbing a cheap condo instead of paying rent for a year while we get to know the area. Does anyone know either of these condo communities?

Heatherwood or Fountain Lakes?

Young couple with a one year old so safety is the primary concern...also safety and such of the surrounding shopping areas.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 02:37 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,205 times
what's cheap

Old 01-18-2015, 04:35 PM

4,618 posts, read 7,539,060 times
The only Fountain Lakes I am familiar with is an apartment complex (?).

Heatherwood I have seen before, some investors like the cheap REOs for rentals. I would have to go back and check the MLS, but I think all of the sales in the past 6 months or more have been REOs by banks. Do you realize you have to pay cash for Heatherwood condos as they don't meet the criteria for financing? I haven't seen their budget lately, but it wasn't in the best shape last time I looked, plus roofs are in need of replacing and I do not remember if the association pays for them or the unit owners, but I would ask if it were me.

You might have better luck with some of the more affordable condo options in west Bradenton. While many are 55+, there are some communities that are not age restricted with solid financials that may work for you.

As to schools, the Manatee school board site has the ratings of the schools and the distract maps for each school for parents use.

The Manatee county school website is: http://www.manateeschools.net/pages/SDMC

The state of Florida's Department of Education (FDOE) also ranks both FL school districts and individual schools each year based on a FCAT scores and a number of other factors. This information can be found at:
School Accountability Report

Another site that offers both school ratings and remarks from parents is GreatSchools.org at
Florida Schools - Florida State School Ratings - Public and Private

Old 01-18-2015, 06:54 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,720 times
I don't get your thinking. Are you thinking that you are throwing away money by renting? It will cost a significant amount in purchase costs. And Florida property taxes and insurance are expensive.

Then what are you going to do with the condo after you find where you really want to live? Sell it and pay a lot on closing transaction costs? It is very unlikely you will make money holding a place short term.

Rent it? And by keeping it and renting it, being responsible for association assessments? And unless you are know how to be landlords, you can get bad tenants who don't pay and who trash the place.

I am probably missing the point, but the only two options I can imagine for you both me the saying "penny wise--pound foolish". Really don't mean to be mean. Just calling it like I see it. I think you need to reconsider your plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area