Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 01:56 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,104,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataGuru View Post
I'm ok with door to door salespeople visiting my home. Occasionally there are products or services that I or another consumer may not be aware of that has value and benefits. For example, there are many businesses such as ADT and other alarm and home automation companies such as Vivint that have a large internet presence, tv commerials, radio advertisements, and paper marketing. When they are able to send a salesperson to our doors it enables those business to reduce pricing models because of reduced costs incurred by having a salesperson come to us at our doors for product presentation.

Its been a successful model for many businesses and occasionally I enjoy the benefits of acquiring a product or service that I may have previously not had access to or had known about. I especially enjoy discounted rates on those services because of the promotional nature of a lot of the door to door sales. Just like any business the community word of mouth advertising (like a sign in your yard) or conversing with neighbors and friends about a "deal" that you got from a company helps consumers and sellers both.

Occasionally there are scammers that defraud the public in door to door solicitation. However, is there a difference between door sales and other marketing solutions? How many people have been scammed in internet sales? What about brick and morter sales where someone has visited a storefront business and has been scammed or defrauded? Statistically it could be argued that there is more risk of fraud by purchasing goods and services online and in storesfronts based on volume. Home solicitation is also subject to state and local municipality laws and regulations to ensure that we, the public, have safeguards to protect us from individuals that may be trying to conduct criminal or illegal activities at our doors.

So I am sure most people welcome new ideas, products, and services that may have benefit and value for whomever is willing to listen. Its probably no different than when you see an advertisement on tv or in a magazine, isn't it? You can listen or read the ad or you can get up and go get a snack in the kitchen in between your tv series commercial break. Its up to you. But it probably sounds ridiculous to say that we should ban all tv commercials because we choose not to buy tampons if we are guys and ExtenZ if we are girls.. wouldn't ya think? So door to door marketing probably is a good idea for a lot of people if it makes sense to them, if there is a level of trust that the product/service is genuine and can provide as advertised, and if it makes the consumer happy.

Because isn't that the idea of purchasing something you need or want? So we can listen to the "pitch" at our doors with at least a partial open mind to see if its something we may want, or we can just decide to not answer our doors and go get some chips in the kitchen. Simple.

Are you a door to door salesman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 02:12 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,678,432 times
Why o why did this thread need to be resurrected?!

Old 08-07-2013, 10:33 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,104,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
Why o why did this thread need to be resurrected?!
Me thinks DataGuru just got a job selling ADT door to door and is trying to soften everyone up to open their doors to him. And he just kissed the blarney stone and is dazzling us with a sales pitch about selling.

But you are 100% correct. It should not have risen from the dead.

Mea culpa for posting. May other posters be more wise than I am in realizing how old this thread is and be more restrained in not posting it back to life.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:44 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
That happens all the time
usually with a poster making an initial post on a topic that no one cares about
think it is one way the folks running this website add to their posting numbers
and it does take TIME to figure out if it is a viable post that deserves a response

posts that are over a year old with no activity should be CLOSED
anyone can post a link to it on their NEW post if they deed the info viable and relevant...

Old 10-18-2013, 05:30 AM

20 posts, read 18,240 times
Better Place is online shopping. Many on the internet retailers provide costs that are much reduced than what you will discover at a actual shop. There are a few reasons for this. The first is because many people use the Internet to discover less expensive products. Internet entrepreneurs understand this. They will usually decrease their benefit edge to get more clients.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:53 AM

82 posts, read 156,885 times
In the city of Bradenton door to door solicitation is against the law, I know this because I attended a neighborhood watch class and we were told to call the police and report any solicitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area