Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 07:10 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times

Advertisements

If you go to www.floodsmart.gov and type in the address of the home. It will give you the flood rating, range of rates and local insurance companies to contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 10:20 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
I already knew about the FEMA site

Old 05-08-2012, 08:35 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
I didn't know there is type of home inspection report called a 4 point inspection that covers the HVAC, plumbing, electric, and roof--less detailed and from different perspective that the more complete home inspection report...
I sent the home inspection report to two different insurance agents w/o knowing that was a faux paux that could create problems for us--meaing give away too much info about what might be considered negatives...
I had one agent we sent the wind mitiigation report to tell me there was no info regarding the age/condition of the roof on the form...yet he got the same form that others did and they found it complete...

And depending on the agent I or my husband have talked to there is so much variation in how some aspects are going to be considered....
this house is second home because we are keeping primary residence in TX
but apparently the amount of time someone is in the home makes a difference--
one agent said as long as we were in residence 1 day a month--another said 9 mo out of 12--
one agent said that even having our daughter come over and check the house out once a week made a difference

one agent said that having friends or relatives come visit when we were NOT there was akin to using it as a rent-out house...and the rate would be higher
another agent disagreed and said that was a "friends and family" clause that allowed it w/o a penalty...

and apparently having a tile roof 5 yrs old but one that is only "toe-nailed" down vs using straps and other means doesn't make a lot of difference with wind mitigation--

and because of the zip code and not being a primary residence--it seems that Citizens' is the only company that will write the coverage for homeowners and hurricane/wind coverage...

yet we have gotten different price quotes--
to me, this makes no sense...because it implies way too much variation in how agents look at the same info...
I am even afraid an agent might say something is coverd/ok--like having coverage in force when our son for instance might visit w/o us coming...and there is a reason to file a claim...maybe someone slips and falls by the pool...only to find out the company would not honor that claim because people were there w/o us...

So I guess I am feeling a little whipsawed...
you people are talking about the resurgence of the housing market in FL--especially in Sarasota area but if FL doesn't have a viable insurance program for homeowners and commercial property more and more people are going to be priced out of buying property...
and some types of homes are going to be real liabilities...

don't misunderstand--we can afford to pay for insurance probably better than some others shopping for a home--
and i can understand why having a seasonal home is rated more of a liability than one occupied full time--
but it just seems that if only one company is providing the coverage then there should be more uniformity of information...

Last edited by loves2read; 05-08-2012 at 08:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area