Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 02:35 PM

103 posts, read 381,135 times

Advertisements

Hi all! This August my family and I are coming to visit Sarasota for 1 week. Our two kids are 4 and 2. I would sure appreciate any suggestions on what to do, where to go, what to see, etc. I'm really hoping that my husband will like the area and become excited to move here (this will be his first visit). I'm not looking for touristy things like amusement parks or mini golf More like great nature stuff, downtown areas to stroll, restaurants to knock his socks off, basically all the stuff that makes Sarasota an amazing place to live. If he likes it, we would probably be able to move in a year, but this trip is really important. We're living in Cali right now and ready for a change. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
Any of the parks are a great place to take the kids. Try St. Armands Circle for cafes, dining, shopping for your husband and get the kids some ice cream. Of course you have to hit up one or some of the beaches. Siesta Key is the best, but they are all enjoyable. Lido Beach is good.

Crowley Museum & Nature Center
A non profit nature and pioneer history center located on 190 acres of native land adjacent to the Myakka River in Sarasota County. Visitors can enjoy nature trails through the protected wildlife sanctuary, a boardwalk traversing the Maple Branch Swamp and Tatum Sawgrass Marsh and an observation tower overlooking the Myakka River. The pioneer history area includes a museum with artifacts from the late 1870's to the early 1900's, a one room homestead cabin, a working blacksmith shop, a working sugar cane mill, and a restored 1892 "Cracker" house. Trails are well maintained, and many are handicapped accessible. (941) 322-1000

Phillippi Estate Park | 5500 South Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, FL 34231
Phillippi Estate Park, a gorgeous parcel of land located on the shores of Phillippi Creek, is a historical landmark that also offers views of the bay. In addition to the playground, there is a nature trail to explore the area’s wildlife, and the entire estate has grassy areas to run and play upon.

Sarasota Bay Front Park | 1 Marina Plaza, Sarasota Florida 34236
Sarasota Bay Front Park offers hours of splashing fun in their fountains on the bay! Kids will love to play at this gorgeous island park filled with scenic water views. Situated right on Sarasota Bay on a large island peninsula, the big shady trees, large playground zone, and sidewalks for bike riding, roller blading or walking will get the whole family involved.

Myakka River State Park - Myakka River State Park - Home
The park is a great day trip for families. The airboat trip on the lake is well worth it..you always get to see an alligator. The canopy walk is also one of those things the family will love to do. You walk up and go high in the trees to see the ecology of the tree canopy. When you get to the top of the tower and poke through the trees, you can see across the Myakka park.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:02 PM

157 posts, read 389,223 times
downtown farmers market on a saturday is cool and the friday stroll around the art scene in downtown followed by a meal in Owens fish camp, my 2 year old loves the food in there. The sarasota's childrens garden is pretty cool as well for young ones, it's on 10th way and potters park in south sarasota with the Y and legacy bike trail nearby. Also have an ice cream in Siesta Key at Big Olaf and sit outside and people watch, also blu island grill is good for adults and kids, great music on a sunday afternoon and the perfect place for early dinner after a day on the beach, they have booths and serve kids dinners on a frisbee, which always goes down well in my house...have fun I'm sure your husband will fall in love with Sarasota, I haven't met one person yet that doesn't fall in love, it's a great place to bring up young kids with some fantastic schools......enjoy!!!!!!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:48 AM

4 posts, read 6,338 times
ANd don't forget the Ringling Brothers' Museum and the shops of Old Venice and St. Armand's Circle.
And make sure you take time to just sit on a beach. Any beach, but do it.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:21 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Downtown and St. Armand's Circle are GREAT places to stroll around, people watch, window shop, and of course eat and drink! Lots of great ice cream places on St. Armands (the best is Kilwin's YUMM-O!) Many nice restaurants and cafes downtown.

Selby Gardens is also beautiful (just south of downtown). Check out all the beautiful area beaches like Lido, Siesta, Longboat and if you can go up to Anna Maria Island, it is worth it. Honestly, there are so many beautiful things to see and do it's hard to post it all! Have fun!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:31 AM

103 posts, read 381,135 times
Default Thanks for all the ideas!

Really appreciate it. This is going to be a week packed full of running everywhere , trying to fit it all in. I just can't shake the Florida bug, and I think my husband is slowly warming to the idea, but we'll see

Siestachica, are there any areas that your little one particularly enjoys? Sometimes it's those odd little things that the kids love, you know.

Thanks again.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:23 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Warning. It will be hot and very humid. Plan outdoor activites before 10AM and at sunset or later.

You can get soaking wet with sweat in 10 minutes in August.

Bring wide brimmed hats for the entire family.

August is rainy season and there will be good chance of T-Storms with lightening and heavy downpours, usually approx 4-6pm and this usually lasts less than half an hour. However, WARNING, the lightening is deadly (much more so in FL than most other parts of the USA), so treat it with respect and take cover indoors from the lightening.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:40 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Venice has small park with the shooting fountains just south of the Old Venice town center--near the tennis courts--

Oscar Shearer Park --lots of pines and other trees but can be pretty still in there and hot

Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times
Check out sun n fun too--they have a cool website and would be fun for the kids-- they have mini golf, a huge pool, against bounce pad, and a huge inflatable Waterslide. They may even do fishing in their lakes..It's on Fruitville in north Sarasota. Its pretty reasonable to enter..$12 a car I think...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area