U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 03:31 PM

535 posts, read 962,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picshooter View Post
I left "home" and gave up what was potentially a great opportunity to move here. No job,no friends, no family, no place to live, nothing. I was 19 and in love. I would have chased her anywhere, but her family chose Sarasota.
It has been good to me. Sometimes I wish we lived at least part of the year somewhere else, but .....
Well, what's the rest of the story?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 10:06 AM

6 posts, read 12,245 times
But what?

Old 05-13-2012, 01:05 PM

547 posts, read 871,518 times
The rest of the story goes....Left a good job at a very young age as a fleet mechanic. It took me over 10 years here to find a good job that paid me close to what I earned 10 years prior. And boy did I. It was a career of a lifetime, well 20 years of waking up with a dream job anyway.
My wife found hers too. She will retire next year with 35 years of service.
It's funny, but even as we struggled early on we knew we would stay here.
We never made what most would consider a lot of money, but we got by, betting the "farm" on the future. Now the future rapidly approaches.We are happy, healthy, and will hopefully be able to live this modest lifestyle.
I believe our children grew up with a better lifestyle than we did, and that makes me happy.
We had our kids young. Now they have kids too.The grandkids make us very happy. While saying that we are "trapped" here is too strong a word, I feel a bit of wanderlust calling us. Even if it's for brief moments. And while I have no regrets, So my "BUT" is : but what if we would have lived these years somewhere else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock creek View Post
Well, what's the rest of the story?

Old 05-13-2012, 04:07 PM

103 posts, read 281,361 times
I highly recommend that you take a vacation to some place completely different from where you are now---someplace like Colorado with mountains, a cold, dry climate, cowboys and military folk all around, no salt water and waves or beautiful sunsets, no flora or fauna, just dirt and pine trees as far as the eye can see with routine wind gusts topping 80 mph and 7 months of winter. Then when you return to Sarasota, maybe you will appreciate all that it has going for it!

Old 05-13-2012, 05:17 PM

518 posts, read 1,178,475 times
I live in Colorado at 10,500 ft 6 months out of the year. If you visit there now you would like it a lot. The summers can't be beat. Cool days and nights with just the stars and wild life to occupy your time. Its like Florida in the Winter it can't be beat for the weather. That is why I split my time between the two states. It makes for near perfect over all climate year round.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:37 PM

97 posts, read 264,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiege1224 View Post
I live in Colorado at 10,500 ft 6 months out of the year. If you visit there now you would like it a lot. The summers can't be beat. Cool days and nights with just the stars and wild life to occupy your time. Its like Florida in the Winter it can't be beat for the weather. That is why I split my time between the two states. It makes for near perfect over all climate year round.
Wonderful if you have the money to split the year like that. Good for you!

Old 05-14-2012, 12:49 PM

11,936 posts, read 12,001,496 times
We moved here five months ago and I do not miss my hometown one bit. However, I do with friends and relatives would stop visiting me!

Seriously, we love it here and hope we never have to leave!

Old 05-20-2012, 07:51 AM

485 posts, read 579,043 times
It's been a little over a year for my wife and I. We are now month to month on our rental and house hunting. My wife's company is headquartered in North Port which precipitated our move here. It took me about 6 months to find a decent job. We weren't sure how we would take to FL. but we just love it. We have both lived in 4 different states and have finally found a place we like enough to purchase a home. It's not for everyone and the job market is terrible but jobs are hard to come by everywhere these days. I liked gettingoutofjersey's suggestion of a pros and cons list. That's always been helpful for us when making tough decisions. No matter how many people here tell you how much they love it you'll have to decide what is right for you. We are in the slower season now and many places are cutting hours and jobs but there is no guarantee that you will find work back home either. Add in the costs of relocating again and you've got a lot to think about. It might be easier to stay and institute some austerity measures like Europe When things got tough before I found work we would often take a short drive to some of the beautiful areas to remind ourselves of what sets SWFL apart from other places we have lived. Try this. Crank your AC down to 55 and sit around in your underwear to simulate winters up north!

Old 05-20-2012, 11:41 AM

378 posts, read 586,696 times
"Crank your AC down to 55 and sit around in your underwear to simulate winters up north!"
Now there is an idea! Love it. You can sit and watch the palm trees outside wearing a down vest.
Certainly saves all that snow shoveling.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:32 PM

6,103 posts, read 14,455,724 times
The key is to get engaged, find groups to join - there are a lot of great people down here. It took me a little while to build some strong friendships, and now I'm busy doing stuff everyday, and having an awesome time - of course - I began doing that day 1 and never looked back.

One of the reasons I like it is - I retired early, and when ever I go back, all my friends are busy working so I never get to see them or do much anyway. Here everyday is nice, and there are always things to do - just learn what is going on and where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area