Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:15 PM

22 posts, read 33,175 times

Advertisements

I can't believe how helpful this forum has been to me over the past few months. Some of you really crack me up! You know who you are.

Now to the serious side. I'm evaluating relocating my business to Florida, specifically living in Sarasota and traveling to Tampa/St. Pete probably two, maybe three days a week during non-rush hour traffic. The travel time from downtown looks to be 45+ minutes to St. Pete and 60+ minutes to Tampa depending on accidents, weather, a streaker reliving the '70's, etc. That seems very tolerable. I work from home and the idea of sitting on a balcony overlooking downtown and the bay really appeals to me.

Any thoughts to what I may be missing or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Before I forget Happy Mother's Day to all! We're making it Mother's Day weekend here in Detroit as my Mom will be turning 87 next month and just thankful for all the years she's been here with us. I envision she will be want to drop by for a 'visit' to my new home later this year. Her and my Dad's idea of a visit was 3 months when I lived in Augusta. That did put a cramp in my social activities! My friends would say "they're still here?"

JB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 01:32 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,953,568 times
We live in Punta Gorda now, but lived in Clearwater several years ago, and did the occasional non-rush hour drive to Sarasota. Can't imagine you're missing anything - there's no "perfect" set-up, but you're as close as you can get.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:22 AM

42 posts, read 145,235 times
Hi Jerry,
We drive to Tampa about 3 times a week and it is a nice drive and goes so quickly. You will have nice water views to look at for part of the way so that is always a plus.

I friend of mine worked at Tampa General Hospital and commuted everyday for years and never complained. She drank her coffee and listened to audio books each AM and said it was her time to relax.

So I don't think you have over looked anything.

Come on down! The weather is great!

Old 05-13-2012, 09:13 AM

17,486 posts, read 38,951,108 times
My husband commutes from north Sarasota to downtown Tampa 5 days per week during rush hour, takes about an hour on I-75 with very few traffic issues.

We also visit downtown St. Pete a lot, and it is about 45 minutes from our house, so you are correct in those commute times. Yes, very tolerable, and worth it to live in Paradise! At least WE think so!

Old 05-14-2012, 08:50 PM

22 posts, read 33,175 times
Thanks everyone! Your replies help me not to overthink my relocation. Living in Sarasota while expanding my business in Tampa/St. Pete. I could think of worse options. Like winter in Detroit.

JB

Old 05-15-2012, 05:04 AM

42 posts, read 145,235 times
Yep! Soon, the closest you will get to a snow storm is on the AM news

Old 05-17-2012, 09:36 AM

7 posts, read 17,970 times
What kind of business?

Old 05-17-2012, 10:00 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,405,025 times
Hopefully you already drove on I-275/ Sunshine Skyway Bridge and don't get sweaty palms/anxiety attacks driving the bridge. Some folks are ok with it and others have issues even if they are OK with other bridges. The only way to really know is to drive it.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:03 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,408,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Hopefully you already drove on I-275/ Sunshine Skyway Bridge and don't get sweaty palms/anxiety attacks driving the bridge. Some folks are ok with it and others have issues even if they are OK with other bridges. The only way to really know is to drive it.
Yeah, I can understand that. The Sunshine Skyway Bridge is rather steep and there's no land on either side of it. I wouldn't really want to drive it during a tropical storm, but on a regular basis it would be fine. You get quite a view from it as well!

Old 05-17-2012, 08:23 PM

4,582 posts, read 7,463,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Yeah, I can understand that. The Sunshine Skyway Bridge is rather steep and there's no land on either side of it. I wouldn't really want to drive it during a tropical storm, but on a regular basis it would be fine. You get quite a view from it as well!

The Skyway bridge is high, but it is much wider and safer than the old bridge, which we had to travel on when I first moved to the Sarasota area. It was very narrow, had metal grid instead of concrete as the road base on the high portion of the bridge. One entire span of the bridge was missing because a cargo ship had knocked out the support and collapsed that section of the bridge a few years previously, so all of the traffic north & south was using just one span (yes, two way traffic) on that narrow bridge. Now that was a white knuckle bridge crossing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area