U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:29 AM

284 posts, read 517,454 times

Advertisements

I just moved from North Myrtle Beach to Sarasota. For me I grew tired of the redneck/Bible thumpers too. Sarasota definitely has a more upscale & sophisticated population than Myrtle. I love golf but moved away from Myrtle because of the tourists and lack of private courses. The summers are a little bit worse in Sarasota vs. Myrtle but not that different.

Possibly the biggest obstacle you face in moving is selling your home in Myrtle where the real estate market is still soft. My home has had a lot of looks but no offers yet and it's priced 25% below where I bought it in 2006. Buyers in Myrtle are looking for steals, so be prepared to take a bigger loss than you expect.

If you do move to Sarasota, perhaps one of the communities just west of I-75 would interest you. I live in Laurel Oak and it is quite nice ... peaceful with large lots. Being just west of I-75 you're still only 20 minutes from all the action but far enough away from the water for hurricane/flooding.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 11:39 AM

10,979 posts, read 9,697,897 times
I sometimes feel like I'm beating my head against a brick wall.

I am a Myrtle Beach, South Carolina native who lived there all my life with the exception of my five years in college and when I moved to Sarasota in January of this year. Lest you think I'm a Myrtle Beach Bumpkin, I traveled extensively for my career and lived part time in Manhattan from 1999 to 2003. I've been around the block.

I graduated high school and then the University of South Carolina. My four kids (three steps ) all graduated high school in Myrtle Beach and college after growing up in MB (Ga Tech, USC, USC, ECU) as did just about everyone else I know and their kids.

Myrtle Beach is heavily education oriented. Education is just as much as what a child gets at home as what they get from school.

That said, please don't paint SC with such broad strokes. Any city is what you make of it.

We move to Sarasota January 2nd of this year and couldn't be happier. Maybe coming from a resort town we weren't expecting every day to be a vacation day and understand what life is like living in a resort town.

To be honest, Myrtle Beach and Sarasota aren't that different. If anything, Sarasota is a sleepier town in some ways.

In my honest opinion, it sounds like you maybe just aren't very happy period. Before you uproot your life and your child, I would maybe look at what is making you unhappy about Myrtle Beach.

FWIW there were two Rhodes Scholars in my high school graduating class. One of my classmates was on the last NASA shuttle.

I'd be happy to answer any questions for you.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:46 PM

40 posts, read 92,230 times
Excellent! 2 people with intimate knowledge of both places. Blueherons, I am not knocking the schools here. My daughter goes to Ocean Bay Elementary and loves it. I'm not an expert at evaluating schools, but I really like Ocean Bay. I'm very visible there with her teachers and am an involved parent. So...although South Carolina schools are ranked very low nationally, the schools in Carolina Forest where we live are very good. That said, I have to believe there are those (Ashton, Tatum Ridge, Pineview) that are just as good, if not better. I have to disagree with you about everything else. Sarasota has a robust arts/culture community. MB absolutely does not. In the offseason they roll up the sidewalks at 6. It's a very transient area and the local and state government invest in the tourist elements here. Period. I'm getting tired of hearing commercials for bail bondsman, lawyers, happy hour, tattoo parlors and gentlemans clubs. That IS Myrtle Beach. Sure, there are pockets of sophistication here. I live in one if those developments. But once I venture outside that, it's riff-raff time. And on the contrary, I am not unhappy. In fact, my life is great. It's one of the factors that makes me reluctant to upset the apple cart.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:26 PM

Yes, you are correct that Sarasota has a much much larger culteral arts base. Apples and oranges really.

That said, the two cities really aren't that different. Yes, Myrtle Beach is transient but so is Sarasota.

The season here is much shorter than Myrtle Beach's season. The season in Myrtle Beach pretty much starts with the Marathon (golf season) and rolls through Easter, the bike weeks, then summer season, fall golf and kind of dies out after New Years.

Spending almost 20 years in the hotel industry, I followed the trends.

Here season is Valentines Day through Easter or late April.

Again, I've only been here five months but I really am not finding a huge difference except maybe the wealthy resident base.

Would I ever move back to Myrtle Beach? Hell no! I love it here!

Old 05-14-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyMoosh View Post
Sure, there are pockets of sophistication here.
Haha! The Dunes Club maybe.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Haha! The Dunes Club maybe.
Dunes Club. Plantation Lakes (where I live), Grande Dunes. To name a few. An owner of a fitness equipment store told me MB has an upper class, and a lower class. And that's pretty much it. Very small middle class. I never thought of it that way but she was right. Everyone else is just passing through, like the bikers you mentioned. Did you know Atlantic Beach extended their bike weekend to May 18th thru Memorial Day weekend? So basically the whole month of May is shot.

Please elaborate when you say you don't see much difference between MB and SRQ? SRQ has a central downtown, with the urban vibe (granted it's not NYC but still...), MB has high rise resorts, restaurants, strip clubs and bars for 60 miles. SRQ has the arts, MB has artists (as in tattoo). We have a local free entertainment weekly that is distributed to restaurants and bars here. It's called Surge. When I was in SRQ I picked up their version of Surge. Three times thicker and one small block add for an adult DVD store. Contrast that with MB's Surge...full of ads for bars, strip clubs, adult DVD stores.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:07 PM

Here's a house in Laurel Oak. I hope I'm allowed to put this link here. This is exactly what turns me off about homes in Sarasota. What on earth is with white cabinets? And white appliances? Shouldn't a $450k house have stainless appliances? I mean seriously. And look at that cheesy soffit above the kitchen counter. And the wall cutouts in the kitchen. What on earth are the architects thinking there?

http://www.sarasota-photo.com/Real/7...tson%20Pl.html

Old 05-14-2012, 04:34 PM

15,840 posts, read 33,183,282 times
Quote:
Here's a house in Laurel Oak. I hope I'm allowed to put this link here. This is exactly what turns me off about homes in Sarasota. What on earth is with white cabinets? And white appliances? Shouldn't a $450k house have stainless appliances? I mean seriously. And look at that cheesy soffit above the kitchen counter. And the wall cutouts in the kitchen. What on earth are the architects thinking there?

http://www.sarasota-photo.com/Real/7...tson%20Pl.html
Probably not architect designed, just builder's models. The cabinets look like maple to me (not white). You can always change the appliances (negotiate the price down). This is why I don't like new homes, they don't have a lot of character. But if you want new and don't build it from your own design, you are pretty much stuck with this basic style. Most new homes in developments are similar. Remember, any house can be changed, what's important is location, location, location!

Old 05-14-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Probably not architect designed, just builder's models. The cabinets look like maple to me (not white). You can always change the appliances (negotiate the price down). This is why I don't like new homes, they don't have a lot of character. But if you want new and don't build it from your own design, you are pretty much stuck with this basic style. Most new homes in developments are similar. Remember, any house can be changed, what's important is location, location, location!
My experience has been that new homes reflect new trends in design. Open floor plans, elimination of wasted space like formal living rooms, stainless appliances and granite counters are pretty much standard as is thick, frameless glass shower enclosures, not the cheap framed plasticky ones I see in photos.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:58 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,893,351 times
Quote:
My experience has been that new homes reflect new trends in design. Open floor plans, elimination of wasted space like formal living rooms, stainless appliances and granite counters are pretty much standard as is thick, frameless glass shower enclosures, not the cheap framed plasticky ones I see in photos.
The listing shows that it was built in '95 so the cabinets and appliances seem about right for a 17 year old house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area