Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 05:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,050 times

Advertisements

I did not feel much of constant sea breeze during my stay in Venice. Little bit right on beach but not much only blocks inland. Could this be because it is Gulf coast side, are there other places in Florida where I would find it except the keys?

Last edited by mycity_33; 05-16-2012 at 05:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 09:10 PM

285 posts, read 638,823 times
Sea breezes are caused by temperature difference between warm land and cool water. If the water temp is 82* and the air temp is 86*, you're not going to get much of a sea breeze. Also, if the large scale wind is from the east, southeast or northeast then that would negate any sea breeze. Generally, sea breezes are stronger on the eastern US coast because it takes longer for the waters of the Atlantic to heat up in the spring/summer, so you get a greater temperature differential between water and land.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:15 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
The sea breeze is one of the things I like about living in this area. It is not as hot in the summer as inland locations and we get the sea breezes most days in the summer, so it makes it more bearable outside. Most of the time when I go to the beach there is usually a breeze.
Sea Breeze/Land Breeze
During the late spring and summer along the Gulf Coast there's a shift in wind just about every afternoon. It's known as the Sea Breeze. The sea breeze is defined as A coastal wind that blows from sea to land, caused by temperature difference when the sea is colder than the adjacent land. Along the sea breeze, ordinary thunderstorms are common, especially in the afternoon. Often, these thunderstorms can produce locally heavy rainfall, frequent lightning, and even waterspouts before moving onshore.

1. Hot air rises over land due to heating by the sun.
2. The rising air leaves less air in one spot, low pressure forms.
3. Generally, from 3,000 to 5,000 feet, the air cools, high pressure develops.
4. Meanwhile, over the cooler water, air sinks, leaving less air aloft.
5. More air piles up at the surface of the water, high pressure forms.
6. Air moves from high pressure to low pressure.
7. The sea breeze generally forms during the afternoon. This creates a mini cold front that helps lift air upward to create thunderstorms.

Link: Sea Breeze Along the Coasts | WKRG

Old 05-17-2012, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 5,490 times
I've been wondering the same thing. I'm sure it varies with the day's temperature and other factors, but in general, how far inland is too far to feel the sea breeze? A few blocks? Several miles? I've seen weather forecasts that say for example, "82 degrees, and 85 inland." How far specifically is inland?

And another question on the sea breeze... if you live where you feel constant breeze, does it become annoying after a while? I can imagine trying to eat outdoors and having to hold on to everything so it won't blow away. On the plus side, is the breeze good for chasing away allergens in the air? My husband thinks his allergies are lessened near the shore, or maybe it's his wishful thinking!

Old 05-17-2012, 09:29 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
We live about 20 miles inland from the Gulf shore in Port Charlotte. We get breezes all the time. Not that blow all your stuff around outside, just a nice cool or warm breeze depending on the weather. You can really tell the difference when there is no breeze though. They are not heavy winds unless there is a front or storm coming through. I would say it more windy along the water. That blows my hair all over the place almost every time I go to the beach. My brother lives inland in Gainesville, FL and they don't get the sea breezes there. So, I am not sure really how far inland you have to go before the sea breezes stop. The breezes are welcoming and not bothersome at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area