U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:30 AM

923 posts, read 910,229 times

Advertisements

Any information regarding the financial situation of the many Country Clubs/golf courses in the area? Considering the many short-sales and foreclosures I wonder how these large clubs can maintain their grounds. Expenses must be huge, membership and fees must have dropped along with everything else.

Those along University Place and also clubs in Sarasota area. Just curious as I was driving along University yesterday and wondered how they were fairing in this economy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 02:40 PM

5,636 posts, read 8,999,097 times
I have no real insight but, judging from the off season deals I see from time to time for the public to play at private clubs, I'd say they are probably feeling the pinch. Same thing happened last year, too. I've also noticed "Summer membership" signs in front of a number of places that never had them before last year.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:59 PM

3,979 posts, read 9,086,402 times
Most of the public golf courses have discounts in the summer as well as cut back on the hours/days they are open. Not sure about their financial situation. My father is a pro shop manager at a golf course and they cut back on staff in the summer too. There are many more golfers and golf tournaments during snow bird season.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:56 PM

284 posts, read 517,220 times
Since I'm a member of Laurel Oak I can comment on their situation. Financially they are actually very strong. Our membership director is very busy each week giving tours to prospective members. Since I joined in February the club has added about 30 new members and the initiation fee was just increased by 33% on Jan 1st. The last four years our operating budget showed a surplus of cash, and it's been 5 years since the club last had to issue an assessment to the members. Moreover the club has more cash than long-term debt.

So Laurel Oak is doing OK. However, as alluded above, some other clubs aren't. Several area clubs that were private (Bent Tree, Misty Creek, Meadows) have lost a lot of members and have since opened their gates to the public. I don't know enough about Lakewood Ranch, TPC or the Oaks. The Founders Club is interesting because they have so few members I don't know how they are surviving. I'd be scared to join there not only because it's so expensive but with their lack of members I'd be concerned about getting hit with assessments over time.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:46 PM

19 posts, read 22,772 times
Speaking of golf, a little off your subject, we are moving there in October, do any of the courses have caddies? We are from the Chicago area origianally, lots of private courses with caddies. My brother will be looking for a caddie job when he moves in with us. He has been one his whole life and here in Orlando I dont really see much of that.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:32 PM

284 posts, read 517,220 times
Concession Club supposedly has a good caddy program. I don't know that 1st hand just what I've heard word of mouth.

Founders Club also has caddies. However, I'm not sure how much business he'd get as there are very few members at this club.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:07 AM

10,979 posts, read 9,692,503 times
Most all golf courses are feeling the pinch. Golfers are aging out and not being replaced with a new generation of golfers. Golf courses are very expensive to maintain.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:35 AM

3,979 posts, read 9,086,402 times
Groomz,

The Ritz Carlton in Sarasota has caddies.
Golf Club Information

Old 05-18-2012, 09:54 AM

6,864 posts, read 10,098,027 times
When you hear rumors that the course is for sale, they are not doing well.
And a new owner may have big plans for the fairways, i.e. Sunrise, Fox Fire, Forest Lakes, Sable Trace [N.P.].

Old 05-18-2012, 11:52 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,320,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
When you hear rumors that the course is for sale, they are not doing well.
And a new owner may have big plans for the fairways, i.e. Sunrise, Fox Fire, Forest Lakes, Sable Trace [N.P.].
Out of curiousity, what is the status of Fox Fire? I had heard the course was being sold & that it was being turned into "affordable housing". The homeowners were suing to have this stopped but that's been a couple of years ago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area